lmfao

Underdeveloped emotional maturity in relation to level of mindfulness.

20 posts in this topic

I might be going about my daily business and become mindful of the fact that nothing is in my control (not a negative way). For all waking moments of your life you're a situation which you did nothing to create. In some sense existence is effortless because you never have and never will have to do anything. The problem I have is that whenever I try to maintain my awareness for long periods of time or I try to break bad habits I have I'm met with huge emotional resistance and I'm probably met with what you'd call ego backlash. Even if I get glimpses of non-duality there's still a massive under current of emotional shit which seems impossible to get rid of without an extreme amount of suffering. I feel like I can spend a few minutes in no mind voluntary, but it always dissappear for me. 

Besides mindfulness, what solutions exist for low emotional maturity? 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

You should realize that story you are telling yourself is causing your emotions,trying to fix the story never works because story is not real :)

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

"Growth" is a better term for "emotional maturity". Emotional maturity implies a lack of self-acceptance. Growth happens slowly over time. You have no control over how or when growth occurs (as you are clearly aware). However, you do have choice. Life will present you with opportunities for growth in the form of challenges and it's up to you to choose to accept those challenges, or to turn away.

@NoSelfSelf

47 minutes ago, NoSelfSelf said:

You should realize that story you are telling yourself is causing your emotions,trying to fix the story never works because story is not real :)

You're not wrong

@ivory

18 minutes ago, ivory said:

Life will present you with opportunities for growth in the form of challenges and it's up to you to choose to accept those challenges, or to turn away.

You right

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

10 hours ago, lmfao said:

there's still a massive under current of emotional shit which seems impossible to get rid of without an extreme amount of suffering.

Now you understand why 99.9999% of people aren't enlightened.

For most people it takes decades to work that stuff out.

This is the bulk of spiritual work. Breaking down that ego, which is more stubborn than a rented mule.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Can you explain why truth is higher than happiness? I don’t understand that.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise Because happiness is a limited human thing, while Truth is universal.

Truth is much bigger than happiness. Truth is there even if you're not happy. Truth is the only thing you can count on in this evanescent world.

You should want the Truth even if it means it will cause you great suffering.

@Leo Gura But doesn’t ‘wanting’ something mean that you want it so you can be happy. That’s basically why people would want something.

Also, if I change ‘happiness’ to ‘love’, would that still not be true.

I just don’t understand why you would pursue the truth even if it makes you miserable. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

13 hours ago, lmfao said:

... Even if I get glimpses of non-duality there's still a massive under current of emotional shit which seems impossible to get rid of without an extreme amount of suffering. ...

you may not agree and you can simply ignore what I say but wanting this (alleged 'non-duality') and rejecting that (alleged 'under current of emotional shit') is the issue here.

Please do not pay attention to my empty words if you are following Leo's teaching !!
Sometimes my empty words may appear too negative, too rational, too irrational, egoistical or even like trolling because my path is a non-path and is nothing but deviation and incompatible with all teachings known.

Through great inescapable suffering blooms the radical acceptance for anything that happens or anything that could happen to you. Having the willingness to recognize:

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in." 

Through this great opportunity of metamorphoses comes intense inner peace, balance and beautiful liberation from an internal cage.

For me suffering has ultimately eliminated misery, grief, & all fear of suffering because once you suffer tremendously, you are awakened to deep levels of empathy, unconditional gratitude for all inherent aspects of life, (and not just temporary thrills) and the unpredictable change/possibilities that inevitably rise with it. 

Pain brings the recognition that something must be released & healed. Suffering has only brought me to a deeper understanding of myself and my life to the point of truly appreciating it for all the wonderful transformation, spiritual evolution and purification it has given me. 

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and thereby extend their hand." -- Patti Smith

Edited by VioletFlame

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." --Patti Smith

"Lately, I find myself out gazing at stars, hearing guitars...Like Someone In Love" 

@VioletFlame ooo la la good post. Pretty inspiring. 

@lmfao Thank you! I'm so glad it was! 

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." --Patti Smith

"Lately, I find myself out gazing at stars, hearing guitars...Like Someone In Love" 

9 hours ago, How to be wise said:

@Leo Gura But doesn’t ‘wanting’ something mean that you want it so you can be happy. That’s basically why people would want something.

Also, if I change ‘happiness’ to ‘love’, would that still not be true.

The problem is that the ego does not know what true happiness or love are. The ego's selfishness and falsehood is precisely what prevents true happiness and love.

Happiness and love are super counter-intuitive. You can't trust the ego's definitions of them.

I just don’t understand why you would pursue the truth even if it makes you miserable. 

Because it is true.

If you don't have the truth, you've got nothing.

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Because it is true.

If you don't have the truth, you've got nothing.

I'd take nothing over being miserable, I feel like we are just lucky that the Truth just so happens to make us happy and fulfilled, I don't see why it HAS to be this way, of course I'm still ignorant to a lot of things, but yeah I'm just grateful that we can pursue answers and trust that in doing so, we will probably be a lot happier.  If I saw Mooji meditating for 20 years and he came out a miserable depressed individual after finding out the deeper answers to our universe, well I probably wouldn't pursue the Truth that intensely 

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

9 hours ago, How to be wise said:

@How to be wise If you really care about happiness, then don't you first need to know what it is?
Without truth, we have no idea what happiness and misery are.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

8 minutes ago, zambize said:

well I probably wouldn't pursue the Truth that intensely 

Of course you wouldn't. And that is precisely why you are a miserable suffering devil.

See, you don't really want truth, you really want selfishness. Hence you do not have truth, you have selfishness.

15 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Of course you wouldn't. And that is precisely why you are a miserable suffering devil.

See, you don't really want truth, you really want selfishness. Hence you do not have truth, you have selfishness.

Maybe, but I feel like most days I'm pretty content and would certainly relive this dream,  I don't think this is pure selfishness either.  What if my pursuit of the Truth made my ability to reduce my own and other people's suffering less for some reason, be it spending a lot of time meditating and contemplating etc.  Truth for Truth's sake seems ridiculous to me, and of course I'm ignorant, but where I am at right now, I'm not going to pursue something that I don't think will reduce mine or other people's suffering, you can call that whatever you want, but I'm certainly very happy with the direction my life is heading under that notion, and if that's ignorant, well hopefully I'll find out

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

@zambize If you found out you were in a prison, would you stay there because it made you happy? Perhaps the happiness you know is not true happiness, but rather what the prison has taught you happiness is. Luckily, the door is right there, open for you. Ignorance is not bliss.

Edited by EternalForest