Viking

can life purpose bear more fulfillment than relationships?

17 posts in this topic

as i see it with my very limited perspective life purpose is a way to fet money, to survive. maybe some enjoyment could be had helping people, contributing, doing some creative stuff, but can it compare to love, relationships?

the meaning in most people's lives are relationships, friends, family, life partner. even if people build very meaningful life purposes i dont think it could be compared with love. maybe at some point it converges but thats some airy fairy 1000 lifetimes from now kind of thing.

people that choose life purpose over "personal life" which means friends and family are usually miserable people. my whole life up until now ive been thinking that what i achieve in the world matters most but im starting to realize its nothing compared to love, i dont need to be elon musk if i have love.

i get that the best way is to go middle ground and have relationships and life purpose but sometimes people need to choose all out life purpose in order to do something really big.

im trying o guess to asses just how valuable exactly life purpose is in comparison with other things in life.

i dont really know what the point of this thread is, i just want more opinions on this topic

Another way to look at it:

When elderly people reflect back on their lives, what is it they found most fulfilling? What is it they most regret?

Generally, the most fulfilling aspects of their life was who and what they loved. They may yearn to be reunited with those they love and wish they spent more time with loved ones doing things they loved to do. Rarely do they wish they had worked more overtime hours to attain a fancier car, a glitzy award and that last promotion.

With that said, your "work" can be incredibly fulfilling if you follow what you truly desire.

LP. :) Why? A great relationship can last a lifetime, but in the end, the ego (body) dies for real, and you may be left alone by yourself. If you did LP/entrepreneurship, you could retire young. LP could include the whole Maslow. It's also used as a foundation to support your relationships.

Relationship is of highest importance. Life is relationship.

To live without image projection that prevents actual relationship is the ultimate purpose dudes.

However we Humans tend to put relationship second to our “personal” agendas. A series of images in relationship to others which is expressed in the world today as (division-conflict). 

Edited by Jack River

There could not be a great relationship if you dont have happy life, that comes from life purpose..purpose and relationships complete eachother

Edited by NoSelfSelf

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

What gives the biggest experience in life? that's basicaly your question.

Is it love?

Or Is it life purpose?

Or Is it something else?

Some people find relationship to be the biggest experience for them. Others find that life purpose is the biggest experience for them. Others find some other activity to be the biggest thing in their life. But nothing is bigger then infinity, aka enlightenment.

Edited by Salvijus

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

It all depends on what you value. In fact, it's all about values. If you are asking the question then you need to get clear on this for yourself. Do you prefer creativity, physical outlets, fulfilling work, or relationships? The answers vary from individual to individual. To me, creativity is of highest importance. But I'm also highly introverted. Extroverts tend to have more of a need for socialization and will likely spend more time with friends and family. This is highly subjective. It's all about you. That said, you seem to make some distinction between life purpose and relationships. For some, life purpose includes relationships. Ultimately, you define meaning and purpose based on what you value.

Life is dependent on relationship. Life is relationship..Do we see holistically what is implied in relationship?

Do we see that relationship and the value we give relationship is besides the point, but how we meet the inevitability of relationship without our own ‘personal’ value imposition(image imposition) is to actually be related. 

Edited by Jack River

Because otherwise there is merely a relationship between ‘personal’ values(images) which is to be in resistance to actual relationship. To be in resistance to life(actual living). 

Edited by Jack River

7 hours ago, ivory said:

It all depends on what you value. In fact, it's all about values. If you are asking the question then you need to get clear on this for yourself. Do you prefer creativity, physical outlets, fulfilling work, or relationships? The answers vary from individual to individual. To me, creativity is of highest importance. But I'm also highly introverted. Extroverts tend to have more of a need for socialization and will likely spend more time with friends and family. This is highly subjective. It's all about you. That said, you seem to make some distinction between life purpose and relationships. For some, life purpose includes relationships. Ultimately, you define meaning and purpose based on what you value.

but i think theres also a biological component to this

Life purpose includes relationship with everyone and everything. Otherwise one cannot awake.

Even if i insult you, doesn't matter, only for the mind. And the mind is a small part of a type of cancer above the right ear. 

Edited by Hellspeed

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I don’t think you need an either-or, you can do both.   I feel like this has kinda become my mantra haha.  It’s not “this or that” it’s “this and that”.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

On 12/11/2018 at 4:32 PM, Viking said:

as i see it with my very limited perspective life purpose is a way to fet money, to survive. maybe some enjoyment could be had helping people, contributing, doing some creative stuff, but can it compare to love, relationships?

the meaning in most people's lives are relationships, friends, family, life partner. even if people build very meaningful life purposes i dont think it could be compared with love. maybe at some point it converges but thats some airy fairy 1000 lifetimes from now kind of thing.

people that choose life purpose over "personal life" which means friends and family are usually miserable people. my whole life up until now ive been thinking that what i achieve in the world matters most but im starting to realize its nothing compared to love, i dont need to be elon musk if i have love.

i get that the best way is to go middle ground and have relationships and life purpose but sometimes people need to choose all out life purpose in order to do something really big.

im trying o guess to asses just how valuable exactly life purpose is in comparison with other things in life.

i dont really know what the point of this thread is, i just want more opinions on this topic

Well, work and finances in general really creates the proper infrastructure to live a fulfilling life. So, I you live your life doing a job you hate that isn't fulfilling, this will impede your ability to really enjoy the other aspects of life. 

So, there is no other choice between spending tons of time at a job you dislike that you don't feel a strong sense of contribution and having a life purpose that is fulfilling and meaningful to you. One of these will happen. And if it's the former, you will live a rough life as your work will steel energy from all other facets of life.

So, work is an absolute necessity.

Now, relationships are also a necessity for living a sane and healthy life. So, this needs to be in place as well.

So, you have to both work and create relationships. And since life purpose won't take anymore time or energy away from you than a regular job will, it's in your best interest to make your work be the thing you already love.

But right now, you're probably getting an intuitive sense that you need relationships more. So, focus on that and setting up the infrastructure to have good friends and a healthy social life. Your intuition will tell you what you need to focus on next.

I think that's the reason why you're asking the question in the first place. You want confirmation that it's okay to pursue relationships/friendships? Is that correct?

Edited by Emerald

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

1 hour ago, Emerald said:

Well, work and finances in general really creates the proper infrastructure to live a fulfilling life. So, I you live your life doing a job you hate that isn't fulfilling, this will impede your ability to really enjoy the other aspects of life. 

So, there is no other choice between spending tons of time at a job you dislike that you don't feel a strong sense of contribution and having a life purpose that is fulfilling and meaningful to you. One of these will happen. And if it's the former, you will live a rough life as your work will steel energy from all other facets of life.

So, work is an absolute necessity.

Now, relationships are also a necessity for living a sane and healthy life. So, this needs to be in place as well.

So, you have to both work and create relationships. And since life purpose won't take anymore time or energy away from you than a regular job will, it's in your best interest to make your work be the thing you already love.

But right now, you're probably getting an intuitive sense that you need relationships more. So, focus on that and setting up the infrastructure to have good friends and a healthy social life. Your intuition will tell you what you need to focus on next.

I think that's the reason why you're asking the question in the first place. You want confirmation that it's okay to pursue relationships/friendships? Is that correct?

so there is only negative motivation to find a life purpose? because if i dont it will be bad?

i think i created this topic because i never had positive motivation for life purpose, i wondered whether i should spend 20 years working in a life purpose i created only to start enjoying it. i never enjoyed studying, maybe sometimes dreaming about being this huge famous millionaire to please my ego but im past that.

what i did enjoy though are friendships, and the last time i enjoyed friendships was about 8 years ago. now all friendships suck.

On 12/11/2018 at 10:32 PM, Viking said:

It largely depends on your values. If you value connection, love and intimacy more than excellence at a craft or impact on the world, be grateful that you found that out. It's not a small thing.

For me personally, I value personal growth + art/beauty + impact/helping others  more than intimacy and love, but that's just my unique configuration (and it might change in the future). You have yours.

Most importantly, don't feel like you HAVE to put impact on the world first. You're on your own unique journey and guilting doesn't make the path better. Instead, use the value of love and connection to empower your LP. Brainstorm ways to do that. You can create and lead a community. 

Although, I'll add a little caveat. Women are most attracted to men who are on their purpose, men who penetrate the world with their energy, take what they want and lead to the holy grail (and that are willing to drop the woman in their life for that). David Deida has a chapter on this in 'The Way of The Superior Man' (something like 'Women never want to be the center of your life'). If you make a woman the center of your life, you are gonna drive her away.

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard