Pat Pagano

What exactly is humor? I'm curious about your opinions.

42 posts in this topic

I know Leo made a video about how to be funny, but i'm still quite confused on what the hell humor really is. I'll contemplate it myself eventually. But like what the hell is funny-ness? I want to enhance my comedic abilities throughout my life and i'm sure some input from you all wouldn't hurt. Thanks:)

Thank you that was very insightful! I also absolutely feel the loss of self when im rolling on the floor crying laughing.

3 hours ago, aurum said:

@Pat Pagano

Humor = letting go of ego. That's why it feels good.

Do you happen to have a more indepth analysis of why humor let's go of the ego?  And while I agree it feels good, other activities like meditation which let go of the ego can be uncomfortable depending at what level you are at.  Im not sure how to put those pieces together.  Any insight would be much appreciated 

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

I think humor depends on many factors, people find different things funny, what for one is funny for another might be not funny at all.

For example you could find funny when someone you do not like gets hurt, but not funny when it is someone dear to you.

Some people enjoy watching people making mistakes, getting hurt, because it makes them feel better about them self. 

Humor has a way of getting people to trust and like you.  It's really weird.  A lot of humor is chasing pleasure, chasing dopamine.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

38 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Humor has a way of getting people to trust and like you.  It's really weird.  A lot of humor is chasing pleasure, chasing dopamine.

I agree, it's actually how I usually relate with people at different levels of the spiral.  If you can get someone to laugh, you can probably get them to listen.  That being said I think there is slightly more insight to be had here other than just pleasure seeking and getting people to like and trust you, I'll meditate on it in the morning as I think it's also an expression of love.  Of not wanting the other person to feel stressed in your presence, and I think some of that positive emotion is actually a release of some social anxiety.  That being said, so many people use humor, not just who we might traditionally consider nice.  I certainly use it to make light of serious issues, and to bring up serious topics in less debby downer way.  Hmmmm,  yeah back to sleep 

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

4 minutes ago, zambize said:

I agree, it's actually how I usually relate with people at different levels of the spiral.  If you can get someone to laugh, you can probably get them to listen.  That being said I think there is slightly more insight to be had here other than just pleasure seeking and getting people to like and trust you, I'll meditate on it in the morning as I think it's also an expression of love.  Of not wanting the other person to feel stressed in your presence, and I think some of that positive emotion is actually a release of some social anxiety.  That being said, so many people use humor, not just who we might traditionally consider nice.  I certainly use it to make light of serious issues, and to bring up serious topics in less debby downer way.  Hmmmm,  yeah back to sleep 

Yeah!  Fill it in.  That's you doing the work. 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Its when you dont expect something or when its totally opposite or suprising to hear or see....

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

Humor is the art of doing the unexpected. & Saying the unexpected. That's how I would define it.

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

@Pat Pagano A surprise change in perspective. Try it today. No commitment to any perspective. Flow from any one, to any one. People engrained in one perspective will be thinking you’re very funny. Just make sure you are taking your humor seriously, and don’t mess up. It’s not a game. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

31 minutes ago, Eric Tarpall said:

Humor is the art of doing the unexpected. & Saying the unexpected. That's how I would define it.

I certainly certainly agree this has something to do with it, but I could punch someone's kid in the face and it would be unexpected, but not funny.  Well funny to some, but imagine arbitrarily heinous acts.  I think we are just naming facets of humor, and I don't know if we can define the whole gem at once, or have to piece it together via it's various facets

Humor is exposing what the actual truth is to the facade of everyday acting and personification. It's the gentle art of exposing. It's revealing what's going on inside to the outside. It's bringing forth the messy backstage work to the stage

Edited by Samra

Such an interesting question. 

From what I've seen humour can be used in various ways.

It can be a learnt behaviour.

It can be used to deflect the 'spotlight' away from someone. 

It can be used as a sheild. A defensive mechanism.

It can be used to 'people please'.

It can be used because some people don't take life to seriously and therefore have a different perspective. 

That's all I can come up with now without going to deep into contemplation. 

Interesting to see others opinion's :)

9 minutes ago, Samra said:

Humor is exposing what the actual truth is to the facade of everyday acting and personification. It's the gentle art of exposing. It's revealing what's going on inside to the outside. It's bringing forth the messy backstage work to the stage

That's beautiful, I think this is the definition I like the most so far, or resonate the best with. I'm still not sure this fully encompasses humor.  Think of your classic "knee slap" humor, knock knock jokes, etc.  I don't think all of these have as deep of a significance but still lie within the realm of humor

That's  why so many people can't laugh, too stuck in t heir ass-ego :ph34r:

Come on, just let have fun and mock EVERYTHING :D

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

10 minutes ago, zambize said:

That's beautiful, I think this is the definition I like the most so far, or resonate the best with. I'm still not sure this fully encompasses humor.  Think of your classic "knee slap" humor, knock knock jokes, etc.  I don't think all of these have as deep of a significance but still lie within the realm of humor

I think it does. Even a fart joke , as immature as it is, it is still very honest to our nature. It's just raw and childish. You can be super childish , or complex and mature. But the honesty and exposing part I think is the key. I absolutely love stand up comedy and comedy. 

8 hours ago, zambize said:

Do you happen to have a more indepth analysis of why humor let's go of the ego?  And while I agree it feels good, other activities like meditation which let go of the ego can be uncomfortable depending at what level you are at.  Im not sure how to put those pieces together.  Any insight would be much appreciated 

Everything is serious to the ego because it thinks it’s in constant danger. That’s it’s job. To protect, defend and survive. There’s no room for humor.

The only way to truly laugh at yourself and the conditions that cause most people stress is to let go. 

Life is supppse to be fun.