AlwaysBeNice

Jordan Peterson on Moral Law

454 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Sahil Pandit said:

@Leo Gura The look in his eye @ 0:43 :$

Wow, those eyes are a widow into a programmed mind.

2 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Wow, those eyes are a widow into a programmed mind.

It was like a 2 hour interview and he was asking provocative questions. Be vary that you're not falling for confirmation bias. I will try to be as well.

5 minutes ago, John Lula said:

@Leo Gura I don't see what is so dumb with the first video. He is just explaining his interpretation from the scientific literature. Why do you think women wear make-up?

This ain't science bro. This is an ego-mind using science to convince itself of the validity of its crumbling conservative worldview.

Think of it this way: In Saudi Arabia JP's logic can be used to keep women from driving cars, wearing shorts, or owning bank accounts.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Here's a comparison between the aired edited version of that interview, which gathered around 10K likes and 65K dislikes, and the uncut version.

@John Lula For the same reason men wear expensive suits, gold watches, trim their hair, and drive luxury sports cars.

You know, right, that most retail shops will not even allow a woman employee to show up to work without makeup? Because it would turn the customers off.

Make up is a cultural necessity for women.

This is just a rehash of the old "You got raped because you were asking for it" excuse. That's how stage Blue thinks about female empowerment/liberation. It's not the responsibility of the man to control himself. So if harassment happens its the woman's fault for being overly sexual.

This exact logic was used in the 1950's to keep women from wearing shorts & skirts.

2 minutes ago, Outer said:

Bro, he's not demonizing progressivism in that video.

That is one perspective. If there is resistance to another perspective, one need not explore it. The self-biased resistance would likely just reinforce the perspective the person is attached to. This attached perspective is not “wrong, it is simply blocking the light to see another perspective.

1 minute ago, Serotoninluv said:

That is one perspective. If there is resistance to another perspective, one need not explore it. The self-biased resistance would likely just reinforce the perspective the person is attached to. This attached perspective is not “wrong, it is simply blocking the light to see another perspective.

What is the perspective that I am resisting?

I am completely opposed to dividing people into groups and races. Is that the problem?

15 minutes ago, John Lula said:

@Leo Gura Turn their sexual drive off? So there is some truth to what he's saying then. It is typical though, corporations don't want their employees to look like dirt.

Culturally, a woman's value is highly contingent on her physical appearance.

This goes way deeper than sexual lust.

If your value was based highly on physical appearance, you would do everything you could to maximize that. Not because you want sex, but because you want to be accepted and valued by your tribe.

A woman who shows up to a job interview without makeup will not be hired. Think about that!

It's really not much different if a man showed up to a job interview without combing his hair, shaving his stubble, and ironing his shirt.

Everyone on TV, men and women, wear makeup for this reason.

Every time I shoot a video I spend about 20 minutes making myself look pretty, so you guys aren't disgusted watching my face. That's showbiz. That doesn't mean I want you to slap my ass or fondle my tits if you see me out in public.

Seriously? another JP-thread... leave the poor guy alone, hes just you and me except with different thought patterns. ¬¬

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Just now, Outer said:

What is the perspective that I am resisting?

I am completely opposed to dividing people into groups and races. Is that the problem?

It’s not the perspective. It’s not about any perspective. What I am pointing you to is how the perspective is held by the self.

46 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Universities are liberal because they are stage Green. Plain and simple.

He doesn't have a problem with the fact that the universities are overwhelmingly liberal. Notice that he never said liberals in that video just as he never said progressives in the video Serotoninluv linked. What he said is that ideologues in universities are teaching students their ideology, atm that "everything is about inequality, unfairness and power".

@AlwaysBeNice Sweet video. Jordan Peterson has an awesome perspective on many things.

27 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Every time I shoot a video I spend about 20 minutes making myself look pretty, so you guys aren't disgusted watching my face. That's showbiz. That doesn't mean I want you to slap my ass or fondle my tits if you see me out in public.

LOL. God damn it Leo it just looks like you're asking for it. 

@Serotoninluv do you not like the video that the OP posted in this thread? A video doesn't have to be non-dual for there to be something valuable to take away. What he was essentially pointing towards was karma, what goes around comes around. If you treat people shit something will most likely come back to haunt you. It's like a pretty healthy stage blue value. 

@Emeraldgood post. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

It's definitely a problem if university professors are teaching that everything is about power, inequality and unfairness. Rather than teaching them how to read, write, think and articulate their own theory of everything and then to update it by talking and discussing with others. To receive a narrow theory of everything download is called being taught an ideology. Not that power and inequality and unfairness has a place, but to believe everything boils down to that is ideology. That's what Jordan is claiming that professors are doing and they are teaching the same way of thinking. He references Haidt who have done more investigation into this.

Edited by Outer

27 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

LMAAAO HAHAAHA

@Rilles he's asking for it how can we not. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

5 minutes ago, lmfao said:

@Rilles he's asking for it how can we not. 

Thats what the upcoming tour is for. 

36 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I want you to slap my ass or fondle my tits if you see me out in public.

*insert video on recontextualization*

@John Lula Just think about the policy implications of what you are saying.

The solution to sexual harassement in the workplace is to forbid women from wearing makeup?

That is what JP is basically saying.

It is simply unworkable and it will not stop sexual harassement.

The solution to workplace harassement is cultural. It requires evolving the workplace culture from Orange to Green. But JP demonizes Green so he is unable to see the solution. Precisely because his ego does not want a Green culture.

JP's mission in life is to prevent an evolution of culture into stage Green.

You see the problem with this and why liberals are so opposed to him?

This doesn't mean Green culture is free of problems. But it is surely healthier than Orange culture. And it would reduce sexual harassment.

The MeToo movement is not a mistake. It is a net positive for society despite a few cases of overcorrection. In the end, after all the dust settles, your daughters will better off. And you will embrace it as the obvious solution.

49 minutes ago, lmfao said:

@Serotoninluv do you not like the video that the OP posted in this thread? 

In the OP’s video, JP’s conceptualization of a “Universal Moral Law” is based on fundamental misunderstandings of reality and he is attached to an ideology. I can find kernels of truth in JP, yet overall I think he is intentionally perpetuating an ideology to resist what he sees as being immoral (stage Green stuff). He is creating an army of Blue/Orange hybrids that are anti-Green. This will make it harder for them to transition into Green.

19 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

The solution to sexual harassement in the workplace is to forbid women from wearing makeup?

That is what JP is basically saying.

What?

You missed the part they cut out where he said "I'm not saying you shouldn't wear make-up". "I'm saying we don't know what the rules are.". Can people be manipulated? What's Vice's reasoning for cutting that out? Literally cut right before he says that.

7:43 and forward.

Edited by Outer