EvilAngel

Spirituality is bullshit

17 posts in this topic

People these days seem to take very seriously the idea of the ego, the idea of consciousness, the idea of presence, the idea of nonduality, the idea of enlightenment, the idea that we are EVERYTHING and NOTHING at the same time. But really these are all just concepts. Has anyone else come to this conclusion? Like, 'spirituality' is just a word which doesn't mean anything. We might as well call it...i don't know, "salad" or "frog"... 

I sure as hell never cared about all this shit when I was a kid, and it would have struck me as bizarre and pretentious at the time, so why am I so focused on it at this point in my life? 

I like to think for myself, and throughout all my life I have never experienced myself as 'nothing' or 'everything' .... rather as "SOMETHING"... This is what I am - something. Those who experience themselves as 'everything' are narcissistic and solipsistic, and those who experience themselves as 'nothing' are nihilistic.

Ever since I started thinking about how to get rid of my ego, I've just built it up over the years. But in reality there is no such thing as the ego. I think the whole idea of the ego is a result of overthinking. There never was any need to have this concept in my life. Like when Eckhart Tolle describes someone as egotistical for reacting angrily to a situation, it's just a concept of what he happens to believe is egotistical. Again, as with 'spirituality' it's just a word which doesn't mean anything. 

And as for presence, or being 'in the now', while this can be useful, it is not the be-all and end-all either - because regression and fantasy are both essential facets of being human. Regression (reliving the past) can help to heal trauma, for example, and fantasising is congruent with visualising a better future. 

Sorry for the rant, but I've just been thinking... And like I say, I like to think for myself...and although I have described myself in the past as 'spiritual', I would actually be embarrassed to say it in front of most people in real life because I wouldn't be being true to myself. 

You need to put some 5-Meo in your ass, or do some hardcore retreat, then you'll stop bullshitting yourself like that.

Or don't and suffer the rest of your life, your choice.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

People can use words to try describe phenomena in their experience to help others get a better idea of something they've never experienced or that they've also experienced and can relate to. 

Ego as a word for example, is a just a symbol for a phenomenon that most beings never recognize experientialy, but some have. They needed a word and descriptions to put around the phenomenon so they could lead others to discovering it themselves and to discuss it among a group that has also experienced it.

If you ever truly recognized ego for what it is, and more importantly what it is not, you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the value of the word. 

1 hour ago, EvilAngel said:

And like I say, I like to think for myself...and although I have described myself in the past as 'spiritual', I would actually be embarrassed to say it in front of most people in real life because I wouldn't be being true to myself. 

You don't even know who you are, which is known by knowing what you are not. You couldn't know how to be true to your Self, only true to your ego. 

Edited by Elysian
Grammar

People these days seem to take very seriously the idea of the ego, the idea of consciousness, the idea of presence, the idea of nonduality, the idea of enlightenment, the idea that we are EVERYTHING and NOTHING at the same time. But really these are all just concepts. Has anyone else come to this conclusion? Like, 'spirituality' is just a word which doesn't mean anything. We might as well call it...i don't know, "salad" or "frog"... 

I sure as hell never cared about all this shit when I was a kid, and it would have struck me as bizarre and pretentious at the time, so why am I so focused on it at this point in my life? 

I like to think for myself, and throughout all my life I have never experienced myself as 'nothing' or 'everything' .... rather as "SOMETHING"... This is what I am - something. Those who experience themselves as 'everything' are narcissistic and solipsistic, and those who experience themselves as 'nothing' are nihilistic.

Yes, it is very easy for the self to attach to "spiritual" ideas. Such attachments lead to beliefs - which are "bullshit".

Yet, it is also very easy for the self to avoid, dismiss and reject ideas - which is also "bullshit".

There is a sweet spot in which one is aware of many ideas and perspectives without attachment or repulsion. I've found this to be important for direct experience. Without conceptual knowledge, I am likely to disregard direct mystical experiences as "woo woo".

Ever since I started thinking about how to get rid of my ego, I've just built it up over the years. But in reality there is no such thing as the ego. I think the whole idea of the ego is a result of overthinking. There never was any need to have this concept in my life. Like when Eckhart Tolle describes someone as egotistical for reacting angrily to a situation, it's just a concept of what he happens to believe is egotistical. Again, as with 'spirituality' it's just a word which doesn't mean anything. 

And as for presence, or being 'in the now', while this can be useful, it is not the be-all and end-all either - because regression and fantasy are both essential facets of being human. Regression (reliving the past) can help to heal trauma, for example, and fantasising is congruent with visualising a better future. 

Sorry for the rant, but I've just been thinking... And like I say, I like to think for myself...and although I have described myself in the past as 'spiritual', I would actually be embarrassed to say it in front of most people in real life because I wouldn't be being true to myself. 

Your actually onto a lot of truth here, and its very important to let in.  You may actually like my video I just made, it may hit home for you.  In fact a lot of what I say comes from a perspective much like your seeing into now....  Oh and yea it was Halloween.

Edited by Mu_

@Mu_ Nice costume and video. I like the part about direct experience around 5min.  

Actually, it's not a bullshit.

You simply don't understand it even in the slightest.

One samadhi would set you straight, so continue whatever spiritual practice you have, or pick up one, if you don't have any.

Groovy thing is even direct experience isn’t SEEING. To experience isn’t direct. 

True spirituality is simply maintaining God Awareness.  This is where you are seeing reality so literally that you can spot every illusion.

1 hour ago, Shin said:

You need to put some 5-Meo in your ass, or do some hardcore retreat, then you'll stop bullshitting yourself like that.

Or don't and suffer the rest of your life, your choice.

I actually don't know where to source psychedelics, but my pet fish would love to try 5-meo. 

@Joseph MaynorThis is where you are seeing reality so literally that you can spot every illusion.

Just now, Joseph Maynor said:

@Joseph Maynor That comment reminded me of a thought I believed last week: "I realized you can't get "rid" of the aspects of reality (such as thoughts) but you can change perception of the aspects to where it's identical tomindcontrol. I mean, controllingyour ownmind!! Lol!"

Does this not parallel with that? Why do you say so (or believe so.......etc.)?

Hope this doesn't lead to more beliefs.9_9

56 minutes ago, Girzo said:

Actually, it's not a bullshit.

You simply don't understand it even in the slightest.

One samadhi would set you straight, so continue whatever spiritual practice you have, or pick up one, if you don't have any.

Oh, I'd love a samadhi, but have no idea how to attain one. I mean, I became a fence post when I smoked salvia once... Does that count? 

@i am I AM lol:D

the me that wants to get rid of aspects is also an part of experience. What happens when there isn’t an experience? 

Edited by Jack River

I don't know what Girzo is talking about.

He could have said "I know what I'm talking about" and that would be = what he is talking, and what I am (who wrote this post).

This thread is bullshit.

Don't opine on things you are clueless about.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.