Manjushri

Is there more than one consciousness?

40 posts in this topic

Or is it only one? When I say one I mean the one 'I'm' experiencing right now. What about Las Vegas consciousness? 

This is a confusion I have about nonduality. When I say multiple, I mean one consciousness living itself from different angles? 

15 minutes ago, Gligorije said:

one consciousness living itself from different angles

yes. but what i say doesn't matter much. don't turn it into a dogma.

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth

Same consciousness, different perspectives ?

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

7 minutes ago, Igor82 said:

@cetus56 Is depth an illusion?

@Igor82 Physical depth? It's not illusion relative to the body/spatial location.

1 hour ago, cetus56 said:

@Igor82 Physical depth? It's not illusion relative to the body/spatial location.

I mean subjective depth! The way we see it!

4 hours ago, Gligorije said:

This is a confusion I have about nonduality. When I say multiple, I mean one consciousness living itself from different angles? 

My take and experience of these area's is there is only "that" and its everything.  But dont let that rob you of enjoying the individuality of it all.

Las Vegas Consciousness is even more of an abstraction than thinking there's more than one Consciousness haha.  There's only one Awareness.  That can be confirmed if you pay attention to what's actually there vs. what the mind (lack of keen Awareness) takes to be there.  I wish people wouldn't use the word "Consciousness" so much, it's much more vague, ambiguous, and abstract than the more concrete "Awareness" is.  I have a bone to pick with "Truth" too -- use the much more concrete term "Actual".  The issue is what's Actual vs. what's augmented by a greater or lesser degree with Thought.  Think of how much of what you think is real is augmented by Thought versus what you can see is Actually there.  What's the gulf of separation between the two?  That's your job to be the kind of person who notices that.  Most people don't notice that.  Even very advanced people on the Enlightenment Path don't notice the true difference between Actuality and a Thought-augmented reality.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

One/many is a duality.

There is no difference between them.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura read my reply to the topic, I wanted to say is it one consciousness living itself from different angles or is the consciousness 'I'm' experiencing the only one? Like in solipsism just without the ego. Is there anything ever happening in Las Vegas or only the things present in the consciousness 'I'm' experiencing - like in a lucid dream. So something would happen in Las Vegas if I went there or read the news, etc. 

@Joseph Maynor ok, we're close to the point. can you read my reply to Leo? So basically anything outside of my field of direct sensory experience that's within Awareness is an abstraction? like in a dream? 

3 hours ago, Gligorije said:

read my reply to the topic, I wanted to say is it one consciousness living itself from different angles or is the consciousness 'I'm' experiencing the only one? Like in solipsism just without the ego. Is there anything ever happening in Las Vegas or only the things present in the consciousness 'I'm' experiencing - like in a lucid dream. So something would happen in Las Vegas if I went there or read the news, etc. 

but when you say that, what about 'my' experiences over here in central florida? do they cancel out @Gligorije 's experiences, wherever 'he/she' is? Or are they one experience, so to speak, happening in two different places? Then you have to determine if I'm actually in a different place than you, or does it just feel that way? when zoomed into the earth, they appear to be separate, but if zoomed out to the perspective of the universe, they would appear as a single dot in space, or perhaps even no dot at all because it can't be conceived as a point in space, depending on how far you zoom out.

(I'm not saying this is correct, because ultimately I have no idea and I'm such a newbie. Just trying to work it out on this end too.)

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

3 hours ago, Gligorije said:

Is there anything ever happening in Las Vegas or only the things present in the consciousness 'I'm' experiencing - like in a lucid dream. So something would happen in Las Vegas if I went there or read the news, etc. 

my other argument is that this could be correct, but forgetting that you already have millions of "you's" in las vegas, perpetuating it's existence, without @Gligorije actually needing to be there. 

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

16 hours ago, Igor82 said:

I mean subjective depth! The way we see it!

@Gligorije Subjectivity is an experience based on past memory and pov= duality. The experiences may all differ but it's all happening within the same one consciousness. Subjective experiance/duality is the illusion.

@Gligorije  

Quote: 

‘Why does subjective experience exist?’ is actually an impossible question when viewed from the outside in. We are actually smuggling a ‘view from nowhere’ which uses the senses of our body’s skin and retina but projects them onto an arbitrary point in space. The view from nowhere may be telescopic or microscopic, infrared or X-Ray, but when we use this mode of imagination or optics, we are dramatically limiting our awareness to only the most ‘outward’, exterior-facing modes of sensitivity. This is of course a very powerful way to look at things when you want to use your body to predict and control other objects in the world of the body, however it is becoming more evident to many people that focusing exclusively on that world, and extrapolating a world view from it, actually blinds us from the true nature of ‘existence’.

Recently I've come up with a brilliant representation for:

one whole consciousness

vs

separated human experience

The thing involves with thinking in dimensions.

If you haven't watched the youtube video about imagining 10th dimension. It's a good watch. Will help you to understand the concepts that I'm going to give you here.

I'll first demonstrate you one dimensional creatures, first what's only one dimension?

One dimension is like a straight line. A line of cars that you might think. They can only experience going forwards and backwards and the worst than that if there's collisions, they cannot pass through each other, so you can visualize getting stuck in traffic rush.

There's some interesting property for one dimensional creatures, they think can only experience and know two people at maximum in their whole life. Visualize the following:

.. A . ........... B ................ C .............D .........

since B cannot pass through A and C, for his whole life time B only would know A and C as persons. You might think this as a ear whispering game.

Visualize the following scenarios:
.. A. B..................... C..D...

.......A..........B.C.........D....

They don't know how It would be to go freely in any direction as if you would do on streets, going south, west, east, north or in between, freely. They think they're separate entities (thus you do too).

The awesome moment that's I'm about to show you is that you think they're separate entities. But what if they're a point in a complete whole circle sitting in a higher dimension and yet they experience this reality in first dimension as points?

What's a circle again? Circle is a two dimensional shape. Points connected each other from same distance apart a point makes up a circle.

CirclePointPicking_800.gif

Easy right?

I'll try to one-shot-kill you with the following demonstration of the projecting the points on circle to points on a line. (thus first dimension)

gStereographicProjectionS1.png

Notice the whole unity of circle being complete, notice the separateness of the points on the lower dimension, or yet they think?

Let me guide you through the image above. The every point on circle is projected to the red line (which I've presented you as one dimensional creatures). We start from the top of circle and pick point on the circle and draw line crossing two points then until the red line. When the line intersects with the red line, now that point on circle represents the interaction point on red line. 

Let's extend this to new 2d-flatlanders world in order to understand the following video.

Let's think of 2d living creatures that they can only experience living on a paper, like ants. Now they don't know how it would be to climb or fly, because they're only living on a flat paper. Now watch this video and see how the ball (3d sphere) is projected as a circle (2d-shape) to the paper of 2d-living creatures thus once again every point on 2d circle is actually not a seperate being but a point on a whole unit on a 3d-sphere sitting on higher dimension

Huge note: This property of projection is also acceptable for any higher dimension as you wish, this property is used to project so-call-4D-spheres into 3D space.

Not wanna seem as like cocky but this explanation would deserve to be pinned on top. Your welcome.