lmfao

Salt : Are you getting Enough?

21 posts in this topic

Is there anyone here who has looked into salt and the effects it has on health? What do you think of this video? I find it interesting but because of how notoriously hard it is to navigate around the science of diet I've reserved judgement on the topic of how much salt we should be consuming. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Salt is important homos, I drink sole that I made with himalayan salt every morning. You can watch videos about it on yourtube explaning. Effects are phenomenal 

@non_nothing ? for the sapiens:

salt is important, but don’t overdo it.  if you eat processed food, like bread etc. they are already containing salt. make sure you get high quality salt. i prefere seasalt - but salt from young mountains is also very good (it’s also seasalt in a way). check out the trace elements and composition of salt. it holds your own sea together.

i trust in the health of fishermen.

Edited by now is forever

I especially mentioned himalayan salt because it is not only a salt (not even table salt, what that is ? ) it's also a crystal. Contains crystals and minerals. First layer of the kingdom.

Edited by non_nothing

all salt is cristal.

fishermens wisdom.;)

Edited by now is forever

@non_nothing  got kind of interested in the sole drinking morning ritual. what kind of differences did you experience? and how much salt do you put into the water?

@lmfao i also watched the video now - and it’s a joke that south koreans eat more salt than we westerners do. maybe kimch is more salted than the rest but it is only one banchan out of minimum three and the food is mostly not bland because of  the chili they put basically everywhere - also the amount of salt in kimchi goes a lot into the kimchi water, which is thrown away after the first soaking and then not completely eaten - food in korea is so much less salty, that it was difficult for me adapting to the european salt amount when i came back.

and even if it’s more salty - it’s maybe the lesser sugar intake than the salt. they drink water instead of juices or coke or anything, because filtered water is free available in „any“ restaurant. 

Edited by now is forever

Himalayan Salt is just magnificent. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

or you could just drink coconut water for sodium and minerals/electrolytes :)

B R E A T H E

himalayan salt are great but you must take fish or vegetable that are rich in Iodine because you may have an iodine deficiency because Himalayan salt doesn't have that much iodine to meet what your body needs but if himalyan salt is more natural than the other salt all processed salt has a iodine added on it and i dont think that is good been taking Hiamalayan rock salts for 2 years now and i dont experience any health issues like what they say iodine deficiency and also using Himalayan salt as a electrolyte drink very helpful when loosing weight and doing water fast

Edited by sudjoy

I think if you eat carbs, you'll get away with 2g of sodium (or 6g of salt) a day and more thank 15g of salt is gonna cause some harm.

If you're on keto/carnivore, you cannot hold onto that much sodium so you need to replenish it often and get more of it.

If you sweat a lot, I'd eat 4g sodium at the very least.

Salt should not be an issue if you're getting a lot of potassium as well.

I shoot vids about health (https://bit.ly/395NEhj)

2 hours ago, Villager Albert said:

Salt should not be an issue if you're getting a lot of potassium as well

How much is enough?

Im eating a banana, orange, roughly about 100 grams of brown beans and  ~20 grams of spinach each day. Is that enough potassium?

@Hansu I think you are getting enough potassium unless the rest of your diet is just bread and pasta.

Anything above 1.5g of Sodium (not NaCl) is more than 99% of people will need.

Research on sodium is fairly conflicted with a lot of deliberate misinformation. Even lot of the large systemic studies have been looking at "recollection of data" rather than measuring people's intake in a lab. This is industry-prefer way to test as recollection (e.g. people write how much they THINK they ate) is usually headings towards underestimation rather than overestimation. 

A true study on effects of sodium require 24 hour urine monitoring for several weeks and to this day only a handful of such studies have been conducted as they are time consuming, expensive and quite restrictive to the participants. Also you cannot use people who are ill, diabetic or have kidney disease as they will skew your results. Another popular tactic for industry-funded research. This was a nice systemic review https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/jch.12877 of very few studies that met the criteria 

IN SUMMARY : health was improved as sodium intake was decreased. The group who faired the best in terms of cardiovascular and non-cardiovascular mortality was the group with the intake of 1.2 - 1.5 grams of sodium (which translates to 3-4 grams of salt). Anything above 1.5 of sodium generally is unnecessary for majority of the population and as your numbers go higher, you are risking a self-harm. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

If you're not passing out and shit; you're probably not deficient in anything. 

I get enough salt from food. Too much can cause cancer and your body will store liquid if you have too much salt in your system. 

In Tate we trust

@Heyyyyyy Almost every person has some nutrient deficiency and most of the time, it's really subtle. 

Even if you're deficient in salt, you're very unlikely to pass out, but you might have cramps and feel weak and stuff.

Salt is very difficult to understand cause you need to look at it in a context - the amount of water you drink matters, how much potassium you get matters, how much you sweat matters, the type of salt you're consuming matters, your body weight, body fat %, the amount of carbs you eat... I agree with you @Michael569 that most people don't need more but I'd say most of us health conscious people do need more and it shouldn't cause any harm unless we really overdo it or get it in a refined form.

12 hours ago, Heyyyyyy said:

If you're not passing out and shit; you're probably not deficient in anything. 

bruh

The game of survival cannot be won.