Shroomdoctor

How to build Discipline

33 posts in this topic

Okay. I need discipline. What are your best methods or courses or books to build long term discipline? I think this is one of the most important aspects of self actualization that 90% of people lack. People stop meditating, stop their nutrition, stop waking up early, all because of lack of discipline. 

I am one of those people, again and again and again. I get inspired, but I can't sustain things long term, the rationalizations come. Leo often advocates vision to get disciplined.  I have worked on my vision as much as I think I can, I don't think I can come up with anything better. Is it not fueling me enough? 

All pointers would be appreciated.

@aurum

@Nahm

@Leo Gura

What exactly is discipline? Maybe try to define it in your own words.

@XYZ Doing what is good for you, and choosing the hard road for long term success instead of instant gratification.

@Nahm Thanks!

There is no solution to discipline other than discipline.

You must set a clear goal and then work towards it every day, building momentum over time. For this, vision is very important.

But in the end, you must....

JUST DO IT!

Start small and ramp your way up over the weeks, months, and years. If it was easy, everyone would be mega-successful. No one else can do it for you and there are no shortcuts or magic pills. You gotta have the courage to bite the bullet and endure some emotional labor and discomfort.

The key is consistency. You must chip away at it every day and not bite off more than you can chew.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Extreme awareness, notice yourself slacking off. Daily meditation.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Shroomdoctor

If it’s helpful...when I decided, I got up at 4am everyday and did 4 hours of exercise & practices, before doing anything else.  A trip can be motivating, seeing what your day to day consciousness can be. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

I think that having a specific mindset(i recommend looking up the bulldog mindset by Jon sonmez) is important also wanting it plays a role(if you don't want it bad enough you are not likely to do what's necessary to get it) and then take 100% responsibility It may also just come down to making a conscious decision that no matter what you will achieve your goal.

Some exercise I know of is to do one hard thing every day.

Edited by BjarkeT

52 minutes ago, Outer said:

Everything is determined. :P

Not to those still stuck in the movie. 9_9

Dont look at me! Look inside!

This is helpful too

76117e1a86d06afb3701931c359bff6c.png

The kingdom of heaven is within.

Love, love, love.

Once you connect enough with love you will do all those things you think you need discipline for automatically.  

To me discipline is a dirty word since it implies I am forcing myself to do something I dont naturally want to do and that creates resistance and friction.

Right now I am in a place where I want to read, I want to meditate, I want to work on my life purpose.  After a while you start seeing  how the stuff thats not good for you hurts you and you will naturally drop it or reduce it.

Trust your lack of inspiration.  Maybe you need to spend some time taking it easy and reading or exploring more things in life until you finally hit up on the project which you wont need ANY outside motivation to get you working on it.

Here are some links to videos that can help.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JulieMuse

@Nahm Gonna try to get some motivational videos in in the morning and see if it helps!@Colin Interesting...might want to watch out for that.

23 minutes ago, Nexeternity said:

Trust your lack of inspiration.  Maybe you need to spend some time taking it easy and reading or exploring more things in life until you finally hit up on the project which you wont need ANY outside motivation to get you working on it.

That is so hard to do because I fear getting stuck in those negative habits forever.

@Shroomdoctor

I think the “just do it” approach has some merit. I might take that mindset if I’m in the middle of a really intense workout and need to will my way through it.

But at a certain point, a useful understanding is to realize that if you could, you would.

I used to work at a drug rehab center. Believe me, many of them desperately wanted to stay clean. But they couldn’t. They’re being run by unconscious mental patterns and low vibration energy. You’re not going to willpower yourself out of that.

So I don’t nessesarily look at it like I want to discipline myself. Like @Nexeternity said, that implies resistance to the aspect of you that doesn’t want to be disciplined. 

Rather, I want to become conscious of why am I resisting what is good for me in the first place? Why am I resisting eating healthy? Why am I resisting advancing in my life purpose? Why am I resisting meditation? Etc etc.

When you become aware of that and can truly let it go, now everything changes. You don’t need willpower anymore. You resonate with what is going to support you.

3 hours ago, Nexeternity said:

Once you connect enough with love you will do all those things you think you need discipline for automatically.  

'All you need is love and everything will align' sounds nice but is empty advice, like "just be yourself." It would only be true if you already had a call to action beforehand, then are motivated by love to keep pursuing that goal. 

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You must set a clear goal and then work towards it every day, building momentum over time. For this, vision is very important.

VISION

THIS is a missing factor in clarity of purpose, I finally realized today. A specific vision to manifest, rather than a vague idea of something. I may not know what my something is yet, but at least now I know that forming a clear vision is the key to actual growth vs. mere idealism.