StardewValley

Spiral Dynamics Obsession

14 posts in this topic

I am obsessed with it. Most of the time, I can't go more than a few minutes without thinking about it at least once. It's been like this since April, with a small break in May but it came back when Leo did his spiral dynamics series. I am constantly trying to fit myself and other people into a stage (i.e. I am probably this stage and that person is probably this stage). I see people in terms of what stage they are at, similar to racism or something. I can't help it. I am always trying to work out what constitutes what stage (such as religion and charities).

My mind always does this. It always finds something to obsess over and then it's all I think about it for months, until I find the next thing. Most likely you can help me by finding me a new theory to obsess over that will replace this one. I'm getting tired of thinking "am I stage green or stage yellow?" about two hundred times a day.

I have permanently locked myself out of my account to force myself to focus on my work. Goodbye.

It appeals to my brain so much, to be able to put people into neat categories like this. 

I have permanently locked myself out of my account to force myself to focus on my work. Goodbye.

I get it and the idea obsesses me too since I heard about it. But it's just a tool, not a finality. So you should probably let it go now that you understand the concept. If you managed to pinpoint where you are on the spectrum, just use it to go to get rid of toxic values and ideas of the stage you're at and set things to go higher.
For example, I think I'm somewhere a bit above green since I resonate a lot with green values, but I also don't like the agressive community green can have, and the forceful way to impose their ideas in a self-righteous way. And the fact that they're not considering that everyone is the world, and that they shouldn't diabolize certain categories of people like they usually do.
But at the same time I feel like most of my life has been green and I missed orange values so I'm currently trying to integrate those before going higher, as I feel they are essential to living in this world unless you chose an extreme path like being a monk or something (not badmouthing this at all. Just taking it as an example).
So yeah basically I currently think spiral dynamics should be used to propel yourself higher firstly, and secondly, at specific times when you don't understand someone, to try and see at what stage he's at to speak his language and understand him better.
But it shouldn't be what you live for. Set it and forget it.
I'm stupid by the way so this is just my 2 cents.

tell yourself, and make the intention to just not talk about it constantly, and every time it comes up try and remind yourself of your intention. (don't beat yourself up over it though.)

Worst case scenario just use an affirmation for it.

At least you are aware that you’re doing that. Masculine minds tend to desire modeling the world, but of course it shouldn’t become an obsession.

Remember that it’s just a model.

I think that sooner or later, you’ll naturally stop doing that. Don’t judge yourself, like “Omg... here am I trying to fit people on this model... I’m such an orange...” If you do this, you’re just adding to the problem.

Instead, realize that these (obsessive?) thoughts will too pass. Just like the sky is always changing its configuration, so does the mind.

The one time I had obsessive thoughts - it was in a time of falling for a man and breaking up with another, really rough emotionally and accompanied with endless painful longing and endless trials to figure out the why - I figured out that it was best not to fight these thoughts. They were there and I couldn't do anything about them but release the tension of "not this thought again" and simply letting it run it's course 200th time while not 'jumping on the train' and paying too much attention.

For example, when I was practising guided relaxation I wasn't able to relax as long as I tried not to have thoughts, I was only able to relax by paying attention to the body and not paying attention to all the obsessive thoughts that were still there in my head while listening to the guidance. 

The obsession ended a few months later when the emotional upheaval ended AND I was able to talk stuff through in therapy and accept some of the new truths about myself that I hadn't seen and accepted prior. Maybe there's an emotional conflict underlying your obsession.

@StardewValley When you learn about a new insight, like Spiral Dynamics or whatever it is, it could even be entrepreneurship; the mind tends to think about it a lot. That's ok. Just keep developing yourself along with these new insights. That's all anyone can do. Btw, life purpose is the way to go to put all these things together. You could choose to write your thoughts in a journal and reread and organize them later.

On 19-9-2018 at 6:34 PM, Mikael89 said:

Maybe an indication of how spiral dynamics is nonsense?

Notice how pretty much none of the "most enlightened ones" talk about spiral dynamics; another indication.

I have never liked spiral dynamics, not at all. Seems like only unenlightened people love to talk about spiral dynamics. I'm not going to touch that crap.

@Mikael89 You are on the path my friend. I noticed a post of you before where you said something like you don't know how to get further or your process is slow. Don't fall for the believes of others. Letting go of believes and the desire for meaning is the direction. Maybe the website http://www.foundationsofhumanlife.com can help you further. Read it all, consciously. Reflect upon it consciously. Read it again, reflect upon it again. Read it again, reflect upon it again. Until you can let go of everything.

Edited by Emanyalpsid

a life coach with a specialty in some form of emotional mastery or therapy would be great 

Sounds like you are very excited about Spiral Dynamics, can't stop thinking about it. Consider some unpleasant points that come with the model, you might stop thinking about it as much:

• SD brings to light that there is much misunderstanding and hatred between different groups in society. And that is it almost inevitable until stage Yellow.
  • SD shows that our civilization still have much development to do. consider that most un-developed countries are Red-Blue, and "developped" once, only Blue-Orange.
  • If you are practicing SD honestly and objectively with yourself, it really exposes your weaknesses and limiting paradigms. (not very exciting)
  • At the end, SD is limited, as its just one model. There exist many other topology systems that describe human beings. But they all fall short when you actually consider how complex we are.

"Beyond fear, destiny awaits" - Dune

@StardewValley I used to have a similar problem with MBTI when I first heard about it. I would use MBTI as a way to demonise entire groups and segments of society ( all "sensory" types pretty much). I found that obsessing over MBTI did nothing good for me. I was using it an egoic way to justify my own superiority to other people. "I was born like this and you were born like that so I'm better than you".

Are you using Spiral Dynamics to assert your own superiority to others? Are you using Spiral Dynamics to categorise entire segments of the population as being lower than you so that your ego has been given a rational explanation for the misfortunes in your life caused by people of a lower stage? 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@lmfao Yeah, I demonize stage orange and view myself as superior to it. I view it as the "I just want to get drunk, laid, and money" stage.

Yes, I know that that's just the excesses of orange. Orange is supposed to be about reacting to blue's dogmatic oppression. It's supposed to do this by giving everybody freedom of speech and freedom to pursue whatever they want. 

On 9/19/2018 at 0:34 PM, Mikael89 said:

Maybe an indication of how spiral dynamics is nonsense?

Notice how pretty much none of the "most enlightened ones" talk about spiral dynamics; another indication.

I have never liked spiral dynamics, not at all. Seems like only unenlightened people love to talk about spiral dynamics. I'm not going to touch that crap.

Spiral dynamics is useful.

The key is to just not build some ideological attachment to it.

If you're using SD to attack, you're likely gonna go down a negative path.

If you're using SD to understand and integrate/improve then I can see a lot of benefit there.

You can remove SD entirely when talking about anybody and still point out the same flaws you did using SD.

Edited by Shadowraix

7 hours ago, Shadowraix said:

Spiral dynamics is useful.

The key is to just not build some ideological attachment to it.

If you're using SD to attack, you're likely gonna go down a negative path.

If you're using SD to understand and integrate/improve then I can see a lot of benefit there.

You can remove SD entirely when talking about anybody and still point out the same flaws you did using SD.

Exactly, you have to first understand it, trust the power of the II. tier. If you are stuck in green/orange/blue beliefs, that a huge problem there.