Cody_Atzori

Why should I stop eating wheat?

28 posts in this topic

I'm 15 and from watching Leo's videos on high school advice and how to shop for healthy food. It seems like wheat is a no no, however trying to stop eating wheat when lots of my family meals are either pasta or sandwhiches, etc is difficult. They'll either call me anorexic or say I'm already healthy as I am. I'm annoyed because I don't know how to justify to them or myself why wheat is bad. Even my scientific brother disagrees with me, saying that white bread is unhealthy but wholewheat is healthy and cutting out carbs is a bad idea for my age. If I'm only taking Leo's word on faith, it isn't good enough. I need a good reason to say why I'm not eating wheat, because I'm skeptical myself if wholewheat is actually healthy and I'm good enough with my vegan diet, but I'm on the fence. My family are vegetarians, so being vegan is acceptable but cutting wheat out is unacceptable to them. 

What's my excuse for not eating wheat? Should I still be eating wheat, or certain types of wheat? What other carbohydrates is replaceable?

Edited by Cody_Atzori

Wheat consumption is strongly correlated to autoimune diseases, small intestine bacterial overgrowth, irritable bowel syndrome, leaky gut, thyroid problems, fibromialgia  and so on.... 

The problem is that we don't really have lots of scientific studies backing these correlations up. The discoveries happen only with people that are already in a bad situation and are open minded enough to research outside the doctors recommendations. For me it happened the hard way... My health started to degrade pretty quickly and no doctor could find the root cause of my problems. I did my research and finally started experimenting with diet changes. I was a very rational oriented person at the time (SD orange, with shades of green) and was desperate to the point of trying alternative medicine like acupunture. What worked in the end was cutting wheat - my symptoms got better really fast, but I was still too attached to the foods.

Today I feel a lot better, but not perfect. I am still fighting with dieting, trying to make my thyroid work properly without taking synthetic hormones.

The thing  is, people are going to react to your diet changes, specially being too young. People are REALLY dogmatic when it comes to food (like anything else, I guess). I had some really uncomfortable discussions with my family about my eating habits, but I am able to afford my own groceries, so no one can really force me to eat anything.

Conscious eating It's a hard quest. Don't give up, it's totally worth it. You'll have more energy to do whatever it takes on your path.

Good luck!    

"Science achieves, or approximates, objectivity not because the individual scientist is immune from the psychological laws that govern the rest of us, but because scientific method—a group creation—eventually overrides individual prejudices, in the long run. To take a notorious example from the 1960s, there was a point when three research groups had "proven" that LSD causes chromosome damage, while three other groups had "proven" that LSD has no effect on the chromosomes. In each case, the Prover had proved what the Thinker thought. Right now, there are, in physics, 7 experiments that confirm a very controversial concept known as Bell's Theorem, and two experiments that refute Bell's Theorem. In the area of extra-sensory perception, the results are uniform after more than a century: everybody who sets out to prove that ESP exists succeeds, and everybody who sets out to prove that ESP does not exist also succeeds. "Truth" or relative truth emerges only after decades of experiments by thousands of groups all over the world."

I m still not sure that pasta kill our gut. I should try on a raw stomach and a healthy day to eat pure pasta...

Just eat, you'll be in worst shape by eating nothing. It's not sure that all sayin of leo are "true".

Could be a bit ideologic/idealized, maybe partly true.

But if you're hungry, believe me, eat your pasta.

https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/real-reason-for-toxic-wheat-its-not-gluten/

I m sure it's placebo effect, or your wheat is just "low quality"

It's good to live in France sometimes, here it's almost like if eating too much sugar or salt was a crime.

In all our food commercial, they told us to eat fruit and vegetables each day ( it's the law since 3 years )

Commercial about drug besides doliprane isn't allowed ( street+tv ) ( like mind disorder are not a thing here, it's still pseudo science )

( as I see it's a real problem for american )

Here we don't have many secret story show ( we have a lot ofc ), But food competition to eat properly is everywhere ( they encourage cooking over junk food )

but almost all our tv is turned upon guys who cook. ( we have aswell american emission about food, like chief Gordon Ramsay )

Eating well is really respected here. Even our junk food have better "norms" ( burger king was forbidden until 2 year ago for being too "dirty" with our norm ( you should cringe )

Redbull was forbidden until they win by monney on the country ( it has been 5 years ~that redbull is allowed to be )

Ritalin is the only drug allowed ( american hand meth in pills to all their kids ) ( insaneeeeeeee )

our meat isn't in block farm where the animals are watered to survive, they here better quality in our whole food ( insaneeeeeeeeeeeee )

I m not sayin it's perfect, but we are probably the best industrial country with food, what is nice, is our country is poisoned, but more slowly, we have a step away with integrating poison, As american allow every poison to be, France makes you think twice, why do they don't want this ?

so .. you should eat, even poison, just avoid it, if you can, you should be fine, I eated a lot of poison and some people can eat it for 50 years, your body will recover almost everything. And not eating at your age could be more toxic than eating shit. Just avoid junk food when you have the choice to do it. ( it will be enough for now ) don't start a war on your family, try to makes them aware of all the good food you can eat, and be healthy.

give them the reason, don't push the idea on them, just try to make them aware of what makes you believe it would be better to eat well ( and not only the video of leo ) convince them piece per piece to eat healthy, talk to them about improving their life, their health, their problem and how it relate to food. ( scary them a bit if needed, but not too much )

there is no hard science that prove it is wheat that kill your gut ?

it's probably more how we create the wheat for instance, don't demonize every food neither.

Edited by Strikr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbw__MsJZ0

We know nothing, and even, I m not sure. a.V.e

@Cody_Atzori Read some nutrition books.

Wheat is just empty calories. Why do you think everyone eats it? It's cheap empty calories. That is all. It has no nutritional value. You might as well just eat spoonfuls of white sugar. At least the sugar won't cause autoimmune reactions.

This isn't rocket science. Just basic common sense. You are fed wheat for the same reason cows and chickens are feed grain. It's the cheapest fuel there is.

Peasants, soldiers, slaves, prisoners, and animals are fed bread. That's what makes society run. Not oil, grain.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Wheat is just empty calories. Why do you think everyone eats it? It's cheap empty calories. That is all. It has no nutritional value. You might as well just eat spoonfuls of white sugar. At least the sugar won't cause autoimmune reactions.

This isn't rocket science. Just basic common sense. You are fed wheat for the same reason cows and chickens are feed grain. It's the cheapest fuel there is.

Peasants, soldiers, slaves, prisoners, and animals are fed bread. That's what makes society run. Not oil, grain.

You have no idea what you're talking about. White bread is empty calories. Not whole wheat bread. It's what Norwegian skiers eat. Look at their medal statistics in the Olympics.

I hope you're kidding when comparing it with spoons of suger.

Edited by Edvard

@Edvard What on Earth do medals have to do with health? Those skiers likely shot full of steroids and all sorts of chemicals.

Pretty much all Olympic athletes use chemicals and game anti-doping tests.

No Olympic performance is to be trusted as natural or healthy.

I would actually prefer to eat pure sugar over wheat.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

35 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Those skiers likely shot full of steroids and all sorts of chemicals.

Then, as Sadhguru puts it, they have no love for the game. Some have love for the game, and that's what goes into genius. Yes, there are lots of cheaters in sports, but saying everybody does it is a huge generalization and assumption. And Norway has a culture for looking very down on dopers, and given the popularity and love of the sport in the country, if it turned out everybody cheats, you don't wanna know the scope of such a scandal. And if you're once tested positive with a tiny amount of an illigal drug, unknown cause, you automatically guilty until proven otherwise, and get suspended from any competition for several years.

Btw, I eat bread (except for some periods), and four slices certainly fills me up for 4 hours. Unless it's white bread of course, which I virtually never eat. I'm not talking about mcdonalds bread, so you know. Usually, the darker, the better, unless they have colored it just to make it look healthy... then look for grains. If it looks superficial and nice, it's usually the opposite, from my experience.

And it's not perfect, of course, like nothing is. And different diets work for different people.

Edited by Edvard

But - I forgot that eating whole wheat bread usually makes you need to move a bit more... or expect weight increase... if you're not used to carbs already. But I would really recommend it to people who struggle with fatigue during the day. It's the opposite of empty calories - the opposite of white bread.

And sure, look at both the positives and negatives. Negatives could be gluten, escpecially for allergics, and bread could to some people produce more acne, although I'm not sure. I think it depends how sensitive your body is to bread.

Edited by Edvard

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I think I read similar statements in a Jonny's Bowden book. There are other authors like Mark Hyman and David Perlmutter who demonize wheat and gluten as well.

There are researches suggesting that wheat can even boost the immune system.

I suggest taking a look at Michael Greger articles or at NutritionFacts.org.

What nutrition books are recommended?

(Something begginer since I'm  15 and probably won't understand all the academic, dietic jargon)

Edited by Cody_Atzori

Cody, 

Just wanted to clarify, and make sure that you do not think of wheat-based foods as the only carbs.  I would encourage you to eat tons of fruits and vegetables, rice, quinoa, steel-cut oats, etc.  

If you are concerned about caloric intake, increase your nut/seed intake, or consider protein shakes.  

Wheat is a polarized topic, some think it is absolute poison (particularly the gluten) and is the common etiology of many diseases, and the other camp thinks that it is healthful.  The truth regarding wheat is probably in the middle--as most things are.  

As Leo said, it is basically empty calories, and is not healthful.  It (gluten) likely is associated with some of the health conditions aforementioned for some individuals, and probably not "poison" for others.  

What is clear is that bread is not an essential component of the diet, regardless of the justification.  You should experiment, and ask for your families support, even if you do not have all the answers. Nobody has died from a bread/pasta deficiency.  

23 hours ago, Cody_Atzori said:

I'm 15 and from watching Leo's videos on high school advice and how to shop for healthy food. It seems like wheat is a no no, however trying to stop eating wheat when lots of my family meals are either pasta or sandwhiches, etc is difficult. They'll either call me anorexic or say I'm already healthy as I am. I'm annoyed because I don't know how to justify to them or myself why wheat is bad. Even my scientific brother disagrees with me, saying that white bread is unhealthy but wholewheat is healthy and cutting out carbs is a bad idea for my age. If I'm only taking Leo's word on faith, it isn't good enough. I need a good reason to say why I'm not eating wheat, because I'm skeptical myself if wholewheat is actually healthy and I'm good enough with my vegan diet, but I'm on the fence. My family are vegetarians, so being vegan is acceptable but cutting wheat out is unacceptable to them. 

What's my excuse for not eating wheat? Should I still be eating wheat, or certain types of wheat? What other carbohydrates is replaceable?

And What about white rice, brown rice and red rice or any other types of rice ?

43 minutes ago, Outer said:

I think that table is for whole wheat. Regular wheat used a lot, in for instance India, it has probably very little nutrition. Whole wheat isn't as rewarding so people eat it less. Food that is rewarding tend to have a lot of calories per gram, it doesn't make it the healthiest.

But an Indian can get a lot of nutrition by eating a plate of vegetables along with the meal.

Good point! ❤️?? Thanks

@Lynnel rice is naturally gluten-free but I avoid white rice and stick to red/wild rice.

I literally avoid gluten as much as possible. I know and feel it doesn't serve my body. 

This is me now...

@Charlotte  What would be "bad" about white rice ? Aside from the fact it's carbs fucking up keto diets ?

Check out BLACK rice it has amazing nutritional benefits :)

@Lynnel to be honest the only argument I have against white rice is it's a refined carb, empty calories. 

Yeah black rice is wild rice ? (sorry that's the term I use). 

On 8/23/2018 at 6:58 PM, Cudin said:

Wheat consumption is strongly correlated to autoimune diseases, small intestine bacterial overgrowth, irritable bowel syndrome, leaky gut, thyroid problems, fibromialgia  and so on....

Give me proof.