Spinoza

One must be mentally unstable to seek understanding of "reality"

31 posts in this topic

I heard this from someone, he said something similar to this:

One must be mentally unstable to seek  spirituality (or philosophy) or enlightenment, consciousness...etc. 

I think there is some truth in it, if i was stable i would be "happy" with my very basic delusional understanding of "life"

What i mean by mentally unstable: Low self-esteem, addiction problem, depression, laziness, doesn't conform, trauma, phobia, heartbreak, acceptance problem, wanting more, lost of interest...etc. 

If you see people who grew up "normally" (even normal is subjective) they are less likely to seek deep understanding of life, they will be able to follow ready-made opinions easily, from theirs point of view, there is no need to work on themselves (just an opinion) i may be wrong 

What's your opinion?

Edited by Spinoza

Understanding reality, enlightenment, consciousness, whatever you want to call it is not meant to be understood. When you try to understand something, you put your own logic, assumption, and identity onto it based on the memory you have.

Understanding something is implying you attach thought/ego onto it

So you shouldn't actually get an emotional or any sort of reaction to it

Edited by B_Naz

You're not human, you're the universe

Edited by Quanty

On 6/5/2018 at 10:56 AM, Spinoza said:

One must be mentally unstable to seek  spirituality (or philosophy) or enlightenment, consciousness...etc. 

I think there is some truth in it, if i was stable i would be "happy" with my very basic delusional understanding of "life"

What i mean by mentally unstable: Low self-esteem, addiction problem, depression, laziness, doesn't conform, trauma, phobia, heartbreak, acceptance problem, wanting more, lost of interest...etc. 

I agree with you. That's what happens in most cases. No one really wants to wake up from a dream until it starts to become a nightmare. Also we can see that the wisest, transcendent of all people usually have a very dark/unsatisfying past which compelled them to the journey of understanding and transformation 

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

2 minutes ago, Preetom said:

I agree with you. That's what happens in most cases. No one really wants to wake up from a dream until it starts to become a nightmare. Also we can see that the wisest, transcendent of all people usually have a very dark/unsatisfying past which compelled them to the journey of understanding and transformation 

I did some self-inquiry, and starting to agree now. I was at first disagreeing  but now I've changed my view...

It starts off like that I think, but then it sorts itself out.

That's why I think if someone who thinks one is unstable because they seek understanding is someone who is still scared and needs to push through the pain..

But when actually understanding or seeking happens, it becomes neutral.

You are mentally unstable when you think you understand reality.

@Preetom @B_Naz Yea, i think the suffering is the fuel (not in all case of course)

21 hours ago, Highest said:

You are mentally unstable when you think you understand reality.

i don't mean literally understanding reality, in my humble opinion it can't be understood objectively, in the absolute the word"understanding it" has no sense

But you can understand: that it can't be understood (this also an understanding)

Edited by Spinoza

questioning the nature of reality is a inner trait of humanity, some are hungry of knowledge and others are ok living in ignorance. However it has nothing to do with mental equilibrium or illness.

I guess the point of this is that how ill humanity can be. Some people really love their comfort zones and I'm not judging them, I do the same. I think it's a good reminder that people don't always share the same views as ours and that we should be a bit more sensitive. If you look at their view, it is fucking mentally ill to go through this.

They also think this work is supposed to benefit but it doesn't, when it actually releases us.

It's that their disagreement with our views that causes us to be "mentally unstable".

There is also the other side where self-actualization is hardship, uncomfortable, and scary (from the start, it was for me at least). So why would you go through all of this pain and suffering to become self-actualized. It's a brave thing to do

Just gotta take time with them and don't try to persuade but be with them

Edited by B_Naz

@Spinoza Mentally unstable is an understatement of the the human condition, how could an ego ever stabilize? It’s founded in relativity. There is awareness of this and seekers, but most never stop and look at the situation. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

In a mentally unstable society the one that is regarded as "mentally unstable" is actually the most sane.

B R E A T H E

@Spinoza

This makes sense. The 3 characteristics of Buddhism; No-self, Impermanence, and Suffering (Unsatisfactoriness) are also the 3 keys to gain insight.

A lot of people learn from their suffering and its vast causes.

And I agree with "normal" people being stuck in paradigms and believing they are happy and sane and just. 

Yes i have @Etagnwo and you are using the wrong attitude which is blocking your sight to see it for what it really is. Shift your perspective, you may see the light in the comment :)

B R E A T H E

Mentally unstable, like a fox!

;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

There is no thing as mentally sane, its a concept we made up to divide people. Of course there are people who are sick but sanity is such a undefinable thing.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

1 hour ago, Rilles said:

There is no thing as mentally sane, its a concept we made up to divide people. Of course there are people who are sick but sanity is such a undefinable thing.

I'm not talking about insanity or mental illness, but psychological fragility, i got what you mean, it's very relative and i believe no "brain" is totally perfect, due to our lifestyle, evolution, genetics...etc like every other part of the body  

7 hours ago, pluto said:

In a mentally unstable society the one that is regarded as "mentally unstable" is actually the most sane.

I see, also some behaviors are not sane and very harmful, but seen like something cool in "society" 

Edited by Spinoza

On 6/5/2018 at 10:26 AM, Spinoza said:

Low self-esteem, addiction problem, depression, laziness, doesn't conform, trauma, phobia, heartbreak, acceptance problem, wanting more, lost of interest are obstacles on the path of meditation. Meditation is not for the suffering type. 

When you are in suffering you want to meditate, but when you are happy you don't even think about it. You are using meditation again as a new hope, as a new consolation. You are not really a meditator. You are using meditation also as medicine. It will give you some relief, but it cannot transform you to a state where ecstasy becomes your moment-to-moment experience.

When you are suffering, meditation may help to bring you out of your suffering, but that is not much. When you are feeling a well-being, that is the moment to meditate. 

Spirituality is not a therapy. Therapies are for ill people. Therapies can help you to come to spirituality, but spirituality is not a therapy. Spirituality is for a higher order of health, a different type of being and wholeness.

On 6/5/2018 at 10:26 AM, Spinoza said:

One must be mentally unstable to seek spirituality (or philosophy) or enlightenment, consciousness...etc. 

Then a Buddha is mentally unstable, then a Jesus is mentally unstable. Every mentally unstable person do not becomes interested in spirituality. Every person interested in spirituality is not mentally unstable. To help your energy rise and soar high you will need tremendous intelligence. 

@Prabhaker You have a similar style of expressing yourself in writing as Osho, are you quoting or are you just inspired by him?:P

2 hours ago, Rilles said:

But what if I told you...mental illness is also a concept? ;)

@Ether

I didnt want to go there for convienience sake but yes in that case you could say its all conceptual. Seizures were called demonic possessions a few hundred years ago...