littleBIG

I want to live in a car

31 posts in this topic

I'm turning 20 and I'm not in education. I've been depressed for years now stressing about my education/careers. I hate school(dropped out of HS) and I hate a career where you just give your life away for 40 hours a week (1/3 of ur life, plus 1/3 for sleeping basically you only get to live 1/3), it's so depressing to me to live life like that. I also have a strong passion for skateboarding and I want to see how good I can get with it. Right now I have a strong desire to just get a car and live in it and become a nomad and skate everyday. I think that just solves all the problems in my life. Now I know living in a car has a lot of problems, like food, toiletry, ventilation, but they're not unsolvable and I'm eager to solve these problems, the reward i get is not being bound to working 40 hours a week or having to go to school. Whenever I see someone living in a car, I really admire the fact that they're able to do that but I never thought about doing it myself. But now I want to do it myself. I never admired people who went to college to become engineers or doctors or are now making 150k a year or whatever. That's how I kinda figure out what I want. I recently lost my job and I've been extremely frugal with my money and I actually kind of enjoy doing that, so I know making a lot of money doesn't really mean anything to me. What are ya thoughts? :) Cheers

Edited by littleBIG

Go for it! But I can tell you right now that it will be very different from what you imagine. Our fantasies about what something will be like in the future are almost always very wrong. And your unhappines comes from within you, not external surcomstances. So I don't think living in a car will really solve anything in the long run. I like the out of the box thinking though! good or bad, would probably be a pretty interesting life-experience to have. 

@Paulus Amadeus That's exactly what I thought. I know I'll regret not having this experience if I don't do it. You're also right that my unhappiness comes within me... I'll still stress about the future even if I live in a car, because I can't live in it forever. Oh well, I'll think of something when the time comes. Thanks for the words. 

You should definitely do it! Share your stories with other skaters and skate together. If you take the step something Will definitely happen and it's almost guaranteed that it will be completely unexpected ?

@littleBIG

I'm definitely not here to tell you "no". Do what you want.

But I'd consider if you're deceiving yourself here.

Do you really want to live in a car? Or are you looking for an escape to your problems?

Would you be doing this if someone magically dropped a million dollars in your bank account? If so, what beliefs might you have that make you think you can't do that?

I'm asking because I don't want you to go live in a car as a reaction to the fact that you lost your job and money is tight right now. I get the whole "don't want to slave 40 hours a week" thing, but that isn't the only way to make some money.

Again, it's totally up to you. Maybe try asking these questions in meditation and see what happens.

@aurum Hey, thanks for the input.

Edit: Actually if I got a million dollars today I will still do it for the experience for sure. But after a while I might get tired of it and retire off the million dollars. The difference is when i do it now I will always stress about the future about what I'm going to do next in life, because I don't know if I'll get tired of living in a car and want an alternative, but if I have a million dollars, i know i have something to fall back on if I get tired. So I guess I want it for the experience but also to avoid slaving 40 hours a week for now.

What are some alternatives to slaving 40 hours a week?

Edited by littleBIG

@Jol356 Well being a driver is not exactly that free. You're still bound to a schedule. I plan to do side jobs like Uber and postmate whenever I feel like, though.

19 minutes ago, littleBIG said:

@aurum Hey, thanks for the input.

Edit: Actually if I got a million dollars today I will still do it for the experience for sure. But after a while I might just buy a house and try to live off of the money, but if I never got tired of the car life I'll just live in it forever. The difference is when i do it now I will always stress about the future about what I'm going to do next in life, because I don't know if I'll get tired of living in a car and want an alternative, but if I have a million dollars, i know i have something to fall back on if I get tired.

Sounds to me that maybe you want this because you're lost, at least somewhat scared, and don't know what to do.

@littleBIG dude fuck yeah that sounds awesome haha I kinda want to live in a van at some point and just go where the wind takes me. 

Go live in a car if you want to, there's nothing wrong with that. Society tells you that you need an apartment or a house or something like that, but society is wrong. You can live in a car and still get all of your needs met plus more.

But have you ever thought about living in a van or an RV instead? A car is very small to be living in for a long period of time. A van or RV would be a lot easier and more comfortable.

The man who changes the world is the man who changes himself.

Get a pick up truck. It's more versatile, put a cap on it and it's city stealthy with a bit more room for comfort and gear. When you get out of town it's simple to rig up a nice little tailgate camp from it and get deeper into the countryside safely.

Plus it's easier to put it to work if you want to use it that way, get an extended or double cab, you'll be glad you did if you do. Planet fitness $20 a month gets you a nationwide pass to have (pretty much 24/7) access to bathroom and showers.

It can be an amazing adventure but it's something that doesn't work with everyone. I love that life style.

@aurum I edited my comment again right before you responded lol. You're right that I'm doing this partly because I don't know what else to do. What are some alternatives to slaving 40 hours a week? 

@Robert @SOUL I thought about getting a van, but I decided for a Toyota Prius atm because I really don't need that much space to live. I noticed this in my apartment right now, the only space I use are my bed and couch lol. Most the time I'll be outside anyway or I can go to the library, I'll only need the car to sleep in. Plus the Prius is super efficient MPG and temperature control wise, and the biggest advantage is that no one will suspect a thing because it just looks like a regular car. 

Edited by littleBIG

Inspiration - pick up artist living in a van ;)

Man, you know nothing about money, it's clear from your responses. Read "The Millionaire Fastlane" or something similar to get to know the basics.

I am for the car idea and other alternative lifestyles, but it's not as easy as you think and you need to manage money even better than when renting a flat.

Check out workaway.info, maybe it's something for you. Volounteering, you can discover many new different things this way.

Edited by Girzo

@littleBIG Ah cool, that makes sense.

The man who changes the world is the man who changes himself.

With no passive income, one they your money will end and you'll have to go back to the kind of life you hate. First you must find a way to earn money in a way that you dont feel you are wasting your life as a slave. Or accumulate money to live 90 yeas as a nomad in a minimalist way.