Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

2,126 posts in this topic

Hi Kriyaban people! 

I have a questions about mixing kriya yoga with vipassana meditation.
In 2 weeks i'm gonna do a vipassana retreat and i hesitate to continue to do my kriya practice during that time since Goenka keeps on repeting that WE SHOULD NOT mix vipassana with another technique. However, for the past few months Kriya yoga is working really well for me (finally after almost one year ;)). Therefore, I feel like it might be a shame to stop it for a little while.

Guys, what is your opinion? would you keep on doing kriya during the retreat or listen to Goenka advice ? 

In the procedure for "kryia pranayama" it says step two is "close eyes and perform tongue raises (kechari Mudra or limited kevhari mudra)" 

What is this? I haven't hear of this before. "Tongue raises"

Edited by Aaron p

@Aaron p Go to the chapter explaining Kechari Mudra, it's all explained here.

Hey guys which form of Pranayama are you doing and how long do you stick with one pranayama to see results?

I've been doing the same form of prayanama now for around 6 months and while its great i can't help but think i should try others

What are your thoughts on Yogiraj SatGurunath Siddhanath he has nailed the yogi look perfectly?

From what I've found online he seems to be the most popular kriya teacher

On 2019-04-30 at 3:09 PM, MrBabar said:

Hi Kriyaban people! 

I have a questions about mixing kriya yoga with vipassana meditation.
In 2 weeks i'm gonna do a vipassana retreat and i hesitate to continue to do my kriya practice during that time since Goenka keeps on repeting that WE SHOULD NOT mix vipassana with another technique. However, for the past few months Kriya yoga is working really well for me (finally after almost one year ;)). Therefore, I feel like it might be a shame to stop it for a little while.

Guys, what is your opinion? would you keep on doing kriya during the retreat or listen to Goenka advice ? 

I would follow the terms at the retreat. Is it 10 days? You can mix the techniques however you want to if you still want that when you come home. But I understand if your Kriya practice has become too important for you to stop right now. In that case maybe consider why you should do this vipassana retreat anyway.

I'd suggest doing Kriya during the times you can meditate privately 

@herghly I'have tried, kriya pranayama classic (following sushumna), pranayama focus on third eye and now on crown chakra. 
It took me while to feel the difference but now focusing on crown chakra has proven to be (very) effective. 

I might try the supreme kriya fire. I just don't enjoy doing the oms 

ok..I tried supreme kriya pranyama this morning. It does feel very powerful but it also feels too technical to me. Doing Kechari mudra, shambhavi mudra AND doing the Om's at the crown chakra is a lot to do at the same time

@herghly I wasn't talking about supreme fire but about kriya pranayama focusing on crown chakra. 6 times ong on crown chakra during inhalation and exhalation with kechari and shambhavi mudra. 

Btw, i'd like to share that 2 times after I smocked a joint I had a deep experience. After smocking the joints I just analyzed the sensation and feeling of anxiety (fear of dying?) trying to go as deep as I could inside this feeling until it completely desepear. 

So my advice is, if you feel scared or something strange/interesting is going on inside you after smocking a joint, dive into it! 

Random question here, do you have to spend some time (maybe a year or two) doing asanas before starting with kriya ? for safety and efficacy purposes, or maybe couple them with your kriya routine?

4 hours ago, Pernani said:

Random question here, do you have to spend some time (maybe a year or two) doing asanas before starting with kriya ? for safety and efficacy purposes, or maybe couple them with your kriya routine?

Mahamudra is the Kriya asana. It is part of the normal Kriya routine. Explained here.

1 hour ago, kerk said:

Mahamudra is the Kriya asana. It is part of the normal Kriya routine. Explained here.

So you dont need any other asanas ? No backward bendings or leg stretches or anything?

@Pernani You can do kriya in whatever sitting posture you find comfortable, no preparation required.

You can couple it with hatha yoga, but it's not needed.

3 hours ago, Pernani said:

So you dont need any other asanas ? No backward bendings or leg stretches or anything?

What you need is up to you! You might benefit from other asanas. Mahamudra is the main postural practice in Kriya Yoga.

There are some movement techniques in the higher Kriyas, and some lineages teach a version of Gurupronam that involves bending and twisting.

The SRF teachings include 38 movement practices -- called the Energization Exercises -- in addition to Kriya meditation. So it depends on which lineage and school you are practicing and what your needs and interests are.

Edited by kerk

@MrBabar My mistake I meant Supreme kriya pranyama. I find it very difficult because i don't know where to focus. You need to do so many different things at once

On 3/25/2018 at 11:59 AM, herghly said:

Hey guys besides kriya yoga are you doing any other forms of yoga ? 

I"m looking at Hatha yoga it looks interesting 

Yes, besides Kriya yoga I also practice Hatha Yoga (Surya Kriya to be precise) and also Shambhavi Mahamudra. Both of these are by Sadhguru. Did you look into Hatha Yoga? 

Edited by Chi_