Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

2,126 posts in this topic

I have developed a lot of resistance towards the exercises which include breath retention, especially Maha Mudra and Yoni Mudra. Every time I do them, I notice myself just kind of rushing through them. I stop the breath retention too early although I know that I could still go further and therefore don't have the full effects of them. But it is so mentally uncomfortable that I almost can't continue.

Does somebody experience something similar? Or does somebody has tips on how to continue holding your breath more easily?

Another question I have is regarding Kriya Pranayama. There are so many different variations and I am not sure about which one to choose. Some say you should feel the energy moving up and down the spine while breathing, some say you shouldn't and just chant at Bhrumadhya. I am not experienced enough yet so say which variation is better suited to me.

Which variation of Kriya Pranayama are you practicing and why? Is there some more theory on the different variations? In the end every teacher basically says that their variation is the best one... This frustrates me.

49 minutes ago, Theta said:

In the end every teacher basically says that their variation is the best one... This frustrates me.

Choose the teacher that you think is the most competent and trustworthy then :D

Edited by Salvijus

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

4 hours ago, Theta said:

I have developed a lot of resistance towards the exercises which include breath retention, especially Maha Mudra and Yoni Mudra. Every time I do them, I notice myself just kind of rushing through them. I stop the breath retention too early although I know that I could still go further and therefore don't have the full effects of them. But it is so mentally uncomfortable that I almost can't continue.

Does somebody experience something similar? Or does somebody has tips on how to continue holding your breath more easily?

Another question I have is regarding Kriya Pranayama. There are so many different variations and I am not sure about which one to choose. Some say you should feel the energy moving up and down the spine while breathing, some say you shouldn't and just chant at Bhrumadhya. I am not experienced enough yet so say which variation is better suited to me.

Which variation of Kriya Pranayama are you practicing and why? Is there some more theory on the different variations? In the end every teacher basically says that their variation is the best one... This frustrates me.

How do you know you're stopping the breath retention too early? This is something to discuss with your instructor. You don't need to hold the breath very long in these techniques.

There is a kind of quickie practice that is just chanting at Bhrumadiya. I think Gamana and Mukherjee teach this. It's not that different from Hong-Sau or Shambhavi Mudra. With KP on the other hand you are using your mind and breath to reverse the downward flow of prana and going up to medulla, as seen in this illustration. This has wonderful effects.

I believe Gamana claims that his method accomplishes the same thing, but I find his style and approach generally disagreeable so I have no confidence in him.

Lahiri's successor Panchanon assembled the various techniques in order, but because no organization and regular training was started, the disciples over the years added and subtracted things. Yogananda is an example; his Kriya is performed with mouth open unlike apparently everybody else's. Hariharananda / Prajnanananda would be another example. But their groups have thousands of practitioners all over the world and it looks like it's benefiting most of them.

If there is a problem with books such as Gamana, Ennio Nimis, Stevens and Nityananda, it's that in later chapters they describe very advanced long-term techniques that most Kriyabans will never do. And so the reader can get overwhelmed and think they have to do all this strange stuff. Lahiri said everything is in First Kriya (mainly Mahamudra, Navi Kriya, KP, Shambhavi Mudra, Jyotimudra / Yonimudra).

On 5/15/2019 at 9:21 AM, Salvijus said:

Choose the teacher that you think is the most competent and trustworthy then :D

I have too little experience for that :D

On 5/15/2019 at 1:56 PM, kerk said:

How do you know you're stopping the breath retention too early? This is something to discuss with your instructor. You don't need to hold the breath very long in these techniques.

Okay, I didn't know that. I kind of assumed that you should, because every time that I hold my breath longer I feel a stronger effect. But especially JCS says that you should chant at Bhrumadhya as often as possible during Yoni Mudra.

On 5/15/2019 at 1:56 PM, kerk said:

There is a kind of quickie practice that is just chanting at Bhrumadiya. I think Gamana and Mukherjee teach this. It's not that different from Hong-Sau or Shambhavi Mudra. With KP on the other hand you are using your mind and breath to reverse the downward flow of prana and going up to medulla, as seen in this illustration. This has wonderful effects.

I believe Gamana claims that his method accomplishes the same thing, but I find his style and approach generally disagreeable so I have no confidence in him.

Lahiri's successor Panchanon assembled the various techniques in order, but because no organization and regular training was started, the disciples over the years added and subtracted things. Yogananda is an example; his Kriya is performed with mouth open unlike apparently everybody else's. Hariharananda / Prajnanananda would be another example. But their groups have thousands of practitioners all over the world and it looks like it's benefiting most of them.

If there is a problem with books such as Gamana, Ennio Nimis, Stevens and Nityananda, it's that in later chapters they describe very advanced long-term techniques that most Kriyabans will never do. And so the reader can get overwhelmed and think they have to do all this strange stuff. Lahiri said everything is in First Kriya (mainly Mahamudra, Navi Kriya, KP, Shambhavi Mudra, Jyotimudra / Yonimudra).

Thank you for this description :)

Okay guys I cant be the only one struggling with this, how the hell are you supposed to chant om in your chakras (om japa) when you're a total newbie and cant find the chakras at all? 

I feel like Im more connected to my front energy channel and my third eye, but my spine, i can hardly feel anything there, its even worse with the root and sacral chakra

Started kriya yoga 2 weeks ago, it is giving me insomnia, anybody have similar problems? 

Edited by bobbyward

54 minutes ago, bobbyward said:

Started kriya yoga 2 weeks ago, it is giving me insomnia, anybody have similar problems? 

Are u doing it at night? Its probably either high energy or just a lot of monkey mind (common side effect, it goes away after a while) 

9 hours ago, Pernani said:

Okay guys I cant be the only one struggling with this, how the hell are you supposed to chant om in your chakras (om japa) when you're a total newbie and cant find the chakras at all? 

I feel like Im more connected to my front energy channel and my third eye, but my spine, i can hardly feel anything there, its even worse with the root and sacral chakra

Once again the video on how to find your chakras in your spine. Also the video on Om Japa in the Chakras.

Another useful little video is this one from Kriya Union. The chant is internal only.

8 hours ago, bobbyward said:

Yes I have that too. KY can be very caffeinating. One solution is to do the second session of the day earlier in the day if possible. Another solution which I enjoy is Shambhavi Mudra which will improve Kriya anyway. That instead of Kriya Pranayama before bed.

Lahiri Mahasaya had a busy life, five kids, two jobs, often lectured in the evening. When did he find time to meditate? He wrote about his struggles with this in his diary. His solution was, as he called it, to "conquer sleep" -- but that is very ascetic and probably not advisable for most of us. The body still needs sleep although maybe advanced practitioners need less sleep.

Edited by kerk

15 hours ago, Pernani said:

To get a feeling for the chakras it was helpful for me to put some external pressure on them. For example the posterior ksetram of Manipura was hard for me to feel. So I touched that spot where its described to be. I felt the slight pressure of my finger on my spine and concentrated on that sensation for a while. Then I removed my finger and still tried to feel the spot. When I lost the sense of it, I put my finger there again. You can do this with all the chakras.

I am still having problems with feeling the root and sacral chakra after a couple of months. But no worries, try your best and eventually it will work out.

I only tried chanting at the chakras after I was able to locate them properly. Chant aloud in the beginning. Try to feel the very slight vibration of your voice at the chakra. When you can do this, you can chant mentally and feel the "mental vibration" at the chakra.

2 hours ago, Theta said:

To get a feeling for the chakras it was helpful for me to put some external pressure on them. For example the posterior ksetram of Manipura was hard for me to feel. So I touched that spot where its described to be. I felt the slight pressure of my finger on my spine and concentrated on that sensation for a while. Then I removed my finger and still tried to feel the spot. When I lost the sense of it, I put my finger there again. You can do this with all the chakras.

I am still having problems with feeling the root and sacral chakra after a couple of months. But no worries, try your best and eventually it will work out.

I only tried chanting at the chakras after I was able to locate them properly. Chant aloud in the beginning. Try to feel the very slight vibration of your voice at the chakra. When you can do this, you can chant mentally and feel the "mental vibration" at the chakra.

Thanks for the advice, I think im slowly making some progress

im having an epiphany on how Important practicing concentration is. I want to balance concentration with yoga, meditation etc.  im on lesson 9 of kriya. Which techniques are most important? 

Thank you!

Guys, it's not complicated. The instructions are clearly laid out in the books. All you have to do it follow them and practice. Everything will fall into place with a bit of practice. When in doubt, re-read that part of the book.

You should not be here asking how to find a chakra. It's clearly explained in the books. If you can't follow that instruction how will a forum post help you?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

He's back ! :D 

Edited by Moses

On 4/25/2018 at 0:34 AM, who chit said:

A couple of important notes with regard to the "pdf". The document is extensive, and I've only been practicing the main Kriya, labeled

FIRST LESSON:Technique of Kriya Pranayama as it was explained
by Sri Mukherjee

I have not began practicing the quite extensive "preparatory " techniques he discusses along with it. That is of course aside from the Nadi Shodana, Yoni Mudra Kambhaka, and Maha Mudra that is a natural part of doing Kriya. YMK and Maha Mudra are powerful,so it's best to proceed with caution. My practice (if interested) is:

1. 5-10 minute preliminary asana set.  Two Maha Mudra's, as part of the set.
2.Nadi Shodana for 8-12 rounds.
3. Main technique of Kriya (described in PDF). Usually 15-20 minutes or so, or until "profound peace and stillness" or "the peace and the bliss originating from the practice of Kriya" manifests.

4. One YMK, after doing the main Kriya.

5.Awareness japa meditation for 25-40 minutes.
The effortless awareness meditation is probably,and just imo, the best stand alone meditation technique I've practiced,outside of doing Kriya. After trying various meditation techniques for years,including mindfulness,breath and "object" based "hard" concentration techniques, It has been, from my experience, the most powerful stand alone meditation technique I've done. Kriya works on the "ecstatic energy/kudalini"  as well as producing the stillness. The awareness japa meditation continues to carry one from that stillness, deep into different samahdi states, Kevalya samahdi being where awakening or "self realization" happens. Sahaja samahdi, is the permanent abiding of that self realized natural state.

It needs to be said,at least in my experience,that the samahdi states  don't necessarily happen only during meditation. I awakened, Kevalya samadhi, when I was wide awake. While grocery shopping no less, lol.  I never quite understood the bible verse "the lord will come like a thief in the night" until this,then it was perfectly understood. And from talking to many others who have awakened/self realized, it came upon them suddenly as well. This is of course  through doing months or even years of doing spiritual work ,and not the use of psychedelics. I've never tried psychedelics,so I'm not sure how effectively abiding, the awakening shift is on the nervous system.

I know this post is old but if you see this, can you tell me what this meditation is ? is it just repeating a mantra? or is it fully explained in the book?

I also got a question, do you have to choose between the three sitting meditational poses described in the books? cause I cant do none of em lol is there any actual benefit to them ? are they worth working towards or should I opt for a simpler pose like maybe thunderbolt pose (I like that one) ?

@Leo Gura sorry papacito, sometimes the explanations are just too vague and confusing 

Edited by Pernani

@Pernani Don't follow instructions blindly like a robot. You must intuit the purpose and reason behind the technique. Then you will not need so much instruction as you will know what is the goal.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.