General 2

'Too late' topic

26 posts in this topic

in his Dream Killers video series Leo says, that you're never too old to start something new

in his other video (How to be patient? I might be wrong), however, he tells that you should begin the earliest possible, in order to reach the point when you start growing exponentially

how do you accelerate yourself to meet this point, if started  something "too late"?

You look young on your photo, why do you feel you started something too late? 

By doing the same thing that you would have done years ago.
Which means baby stepping/aligning yourself to your life purpose/passion.

Don't think about how much years you've wasted.
They aren't wasted, it's the time you needed to be where you are now.

I personally will start college this year, I will be 29, and I'm not 100% sure it's what I will do later, but I know it's what I have to do now.
So really, don't stress about "too late", it's exactly the right time, because that's what's happening :) 

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@General 2 Do it for the doing it, you know, not an end result. Meditation, to relax and let your head clear out, and writing down plans, ideas, etc right after is a good process to get inspired and focused on enjoying each step.     There’s no getting around the things you need to learn and do. DOuble the time dedicated to them each day. Good luck!

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@General 2

Colonel Sanders, the guy who started KFC, decided to start it in his 60s. The idea occurred to him at that age.

I knew someone who was 65 who could not speak English and wanted to learn, but made every possible excuse not to do it. He complained that he was too old to learn. He died at 85. I thought he could've learned even at that age. He lived for another 20 yrs. I heard it only takes 500 words to speak a language and write a simple letter.

I think the real question is, why start late?

10 hours ago, General 2 said:

how do you accelerate yourself to meet this point, if started  something "too late"?

There's really only two options:

1) Up the level of effort you are putting in. If someone else is putting in one hour, you put in three.

2) Look for strategic advantages. Maybe get a better coach, or figure out how to leverage other people.

I think this is a big issue for people. Perhaps you need inspiration. Google a list of late bloomers or people who started something later in life. Also the book "100 ways to motivate yourself" is a great listen that can fire you up - there's a part about Anthony Burgess starting to write later in life. He wrote 80 books or so.

You also have to be honest with yourself and some things will not be possible after a certain age e.g. wanting to become an Olympic swimmer in your 30s. There's no real way around this except for acceptance. But a lot of things will remain possible most/all of your life.

Edit: I'm starting to do standup comedy at 33 (34 next month). It's very hard to be successful at this age, if I decide to do it for a career, but there are examples of people making it later in life. Comedy is not something you need to start at 18 to become world class at, but all the time helps of course. 

Edited by Jackthelad

@Nahm I somewhat disagree. Most comedians who make careers of it start in their teens or early 20's, but there are plenty of examples of people doing well starting in their 30's and beyond.

The trick would be to expedite the process. The great thing is you have experience/ perspective to draw from, which can shortcut the process somewhat.

EDIT: I do understand what you mean by 33 being young, relatively speaking. 

EDIT2: I have seen some of the roasts. Most of them aren't professional comedians I don't think

Edited by Jackthelad

@General 2 I dont know how old you are hun, but in my experience its never too late for most things. Unless its physically driven, it should be fine.  I have switched my career path 3 times already. Age and life experience gives you an edge. You catch up pretty fast. Don't sell yourself short. Also when you are older, you tend to study more efficiently. No need to really accelerate. Just give it all your attention and enjoy the challenge. Life is not a race. Your tomorrow is now. 

@General 2 i picked up the guitar at 22 which is quite late i suppose expecting almost nothing from it but a few years later i was playing sweet child of mine with a band, improvement keeps coming and coming now almost 30 i plan to get in 10000 hours more in the next 10 years and by then i want to be a master level guitarist by age 40 lets say.

And seeing from my own progress that is not even an unrealistic goal as long as i get the hours in.

I think with enough will almost nothing is impossible except maybe in sports if u want to become a world champion in u need to start young, other then that i don't know.

But u need to get your habits in order absolutely i do believe that, u need total control and agency and maximize your energy and time available, work less if u can, cut off people that contribute nothing to your well being, get your finances under control and become financially independent. 

Without all that in place i cannot see myself completing my goals either.

Besides that dive into the theory of mastery i think that is extremely important because if u never accomplished something extraordinary when u were younger u might not know the mechanics of mastery the whole concept of it might be alien to you, most adult people i know can't comprehend this, they just have the idea that there are talented people and they themselves are not talented and they are dead wrong, our whole culture is anti mastery, so this book might help ive read it twice now its really good.

http://index-of.co.uk/Social-Interactions/Mastery - The Keys To Success And Long-Term Fulfillment - George Leonard.pdf

56 minutes ago, Steph1988 said:

@General 2 i picked up the guitar at 22 which is quite late i suppose expecting almost nothing from it but a few years later i was playing sweet child of mine with a band, improvement keeps coming and coming now almost 30 i plan to get in 10000 hours more in the next 10 years and by then i want to be a master level guitarist by age 40 lets say.

And seeing from my own progress that is not even an unrealistic goal as long as i get the hours in.

I think with enough will almost nothing is impossible except maybe in sports if u want to become a world champion in u need to start young, other then that i don't know.

But u need to get your habits in order absolutely i do believe that, u need total control and agency and maximize your energy and time available, work less if u can, cut off people that contribute nothing to your well being, get your finances under control and become financially independent. 

Without all that in place i cannot see myself completing my goals either.

Besides that dive into the theory of mastery i think that is extremely important because if u never accomplished something extraordinary when u were younger u might not know the mechanics of mastery the whole concept of it might be alien to you, most adult people i know can't comprehend this, they just have the idea that there are talented people and they themselves are not talented and they are dead wrong, our whole culture is anti mastery, so this book might help ive read it twice now its really good.

http://index-of.co.uk/Social-Interactions/Mastery - The Keys To Success And Long-Term Fulfillment - George Leonard.pdf

Thanks for the pdf link!

@Jackthelad Well, either way, I think the obvious thing for you to do would be to basically be the Actualized Roast Master General and really just let us all have it with our ‘nonduality’ and ‘mindfulness’, etc. There’s a gold mine of material here. Like how Ray Ramono derives material from marriage, and Seinfeld from doing nothing... you could create the genre of good hearted, yet deeply bitter, nonduality “seeker” mockery. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Elisabeth was told by my boss that i'm too "old" (literally) to have started programming...after a year of concentrated effort (sometimes quite painful) and actually applying my new skills at work...

i'm 30 btw and he's 39...

@Shin @Jackthelad best of luck at your begginings! ;)

@aurum great advice actually. probably the only way to break through...

@Samra thank you for the support, means a lot to me

@Steph1988  thank you, i have an eye on this book for a long time...

20 minutes ago, General 2 said:

@Elisabeth was told by my boss that i'm too "old" (literally) to have started programming...after a year of concentrated effort (sometimes quite painful) and actually applying my new skills at work...

@Shin @Jackthelad best of luck at your begginings! ;)

@aurum great advice actually. probably the only way to break through...

@Samra thank you for the support, means a lot to me

@Steph1988  thank you, i have an eye on this book for a long time...

@General 2 He's either a negative or sexist kind of guy, don't listen to him.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@General 2 if you would to get discouraged everytime someone tries to sell you their own shortcomings, you will never get anywhere. Hear it one from ear, let it go from the other. I have been told so many times that my plan is not going to work, and against all odds, it did. Although this should not be your goal, it is such a satisfying feeling to prove to yourself that you indeed did had it in you  :) go get em tiger 

@General 2  The perfect time to start is when you are good and ready.

It might be an advantage, timewise, to have an early start.

Life is about the journey not the goal.

On 20. 2. 2018 at 6:59 PM, General 2 said:

You're not too old, but you're still a beginner in the field. People have a hard time wrapping their head around someone restarting their career.

It can hurt when your effort is not acknowledged, especially by someone in power. But it's just his biased opinion. 

In fact, if you have options, which I believe you do have with programming, you could plan on changing jobs. You'll come with certain skills, the people in the new job will not remember you as the absolute know-nothing beginner, and you'll get rid of some of the prejudice. (Not an expert on this, it's just a feeling I have from the two lines you've written ;). )

Edited by Elisabeth