pedro23

How to tell my parents that I want to become a monk ?

15 posts in this topic

Good day.  I've been thinking about becoming a monk, and I realized that this is what I truly want. I don't want a cushy life,  I just want to realize the true nature of reality, and at the same time, I don't want to be distracted by worldly pleasures. But... there is a problem, my parents,  I am almost sure won't like it, I mean I tried to talk to my mom about psychedelics, and she told me that if I tried them she would kill herself... So, how do I tell them that I want to become a monk? or, at least that I don't want to waste my time with the damn university? 
Thanks in advance! 

No, she's not going to kill herself. Live your values. Not other peoples values. Not even your mom's values. 

Sarcaste <3 the Sarcasm in Me acknowledges and honors the Sarcasm in You 

Being a monk is fine if that's what you really want to do. But, if you find out that you have some other interest that you want to develop into a life purpose, you can't do that in a monestary. For example, if you love to play the guitar, you can't write songs about your "experiences with the no-self" or other spiritual experiences in a monestary. Or, if you love art, you can't express your spiritual experiences in a painting in a monestary. They have their own rules and schedules on when to meditate. Some monestaries even require you to have a bachelor or masters in certain Buddhism. Be sure you notice that. I'm just saying. :)

Some people who became monks didn't really tell their parents. They just went ahead and did it. They started their own monestaries. 

@pedro23 The whole beauty of being a monk is that no one has any strings over you. You can do whatever the hell you want and there is nothing they can do to stop you.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@pedro23 Where are you from? How would you live as monk? I mean what are going to eat, where are you going live, etc. 

By the way, I also have the same desire, but I don't think I will be able to do it now

@h inandout I think what he was trying to say is that there is no such thing as a Zen monk: If you want to identify something, you have to point that thing you want to identify out in opposition to something which it is not. Thats the whole function of identification. Defining a boundary and make a distinction between that and something else. So what boundary do you define as [Monk] distinct from [Not-Monk]? Every meaning of a word depends on the meaning of other words used in defining it. 

There are no absolutely isolated object in existence. Meaning every object has atleast a relation to one other object.

Identify (dictionary.com):"to recognize or establish as being a particular person or thing; verify the identity of:"

[Fast] is a "thing" only because it entails not being [Slow] as the opposite. "He identified her as being very fast" - So she must not have been slow.

But what for example is [Wednesday] in the actual world? Where can it actually be observed/known? 

Similarly it is with [Monk]. What is a monk in the actual world? Is [Monk] really a symbol that symbolized something as opposed to some-thing else? This is why you can't actually be a monk, aswell as you can't actually be your name. You are just here on this island as everybody else. If you put on a robe and go into a monastery, that doesn't make you a [Monk]. Because it's not a word symbolizing anything in reality. It's just a noise. Complete made up cultural idea.

Sorry got a bit long

Edited by Echoes

It’s not about becoming the monk. It’s about growing up for you at first :D. You haven’t seen enough of the world I would guess to say if you truly found yourself in being the monk.

@Echoes Okay, I can see that's what he was getting at.  There is no such thing as a monk.  I thought he was insinuating that the opposite is everything evil, or something like that, which I suppose is also a culturally generated concept.  I ask because it just reminds me how worried I was last year that all the buddhists are sucking all the peace and joy from the world by generating more opposition.  It scared me into thinking that my own inner quest was futile, which it is, but I'm still doing it because it has tangible, albeit relative, results.  I think I came to terms with this paradox, when I realized a human being can choose love over fear at any instant.  And when they choose fear over love, well the resulting suffering will only expand their awareness so that they can go ahead and choose love the next time around.  

@pedro23 Do you know about the Four Immeasurables prayer?  It might be good to ask them for them for yourself and for other people in your life.  Try to time each line with your breath so that it sinks in to your body.  I learned about this in an online Joy of Living class, which was probably a little deeper than how I'm presenting in now, but look it up anyways!

I haven't read every reply so mine might be redundant. You don't have to become a monk. I realise you want to commit every minute to the process of realisation, you want to abstain to become enlightened, but it is not necessary. I am not enlightened but I can tell you for certain that giving up everything is not the only way. Only when you have nothing to give up will it make sense to give it up. Otherwise do not abandon your loved ones. This is my opinion. This is my understanding of Karma. Do not do anything that will make you doubt or pull yourself away from the process. You will attain enlightenment if you desire it. You do not have to go to a cave. But you can definitely go if you think it will help you in your process. 

Edited by Leightonm

The enlightened ones have made University obsolete. We don't need it anymore. Soon we will not need money anymore. This is my belief. This is my desire. Please adopt this desire, for we are life. We are the architects of every system in existence. We can get rid of it if we choose to do so (with respect of course).