Viking

What Makes One Extremely Curious?

18 posts in this topic

When I think of people like Albert Einstein, Leonardo da vinci, Richard feynman, Leo, extremely curious people, I just cant understand what is the underlying reason for their extreme curiosity.

I am sometimes curious, but my curiosity is very shallow. When I notice myself getting a little curious about something it feels forced, inauthentic, shallow, and it goes away pretty quickly. Other than that, when I dont notice it it's never grandiose, it never lasts for more than an hour, by when I get bored. 

There are certain topics which continue to interest me for long periods of time, like spirituality, but the interest is pretty weak and I dont go rushing knowing more.

I wonder what's the cause of this? is this just ignorance? do I simply not know enough to be curious about stuff? how do I become more curious?

p.s. maybe it has to do with maslow's hierarchy of needs? is it possible to transcend it and not be bound to it? Im pretty much all of the time alone.

Edited by Ilya

@Ilya thirst for Truth comes from becoming conscious of the latent suffering that's caused by ignorance.

unborn Truth

Maybe read so good they can't ignore you by cal newport :)

it might explain some part of it :)

cal newport also says that one reason they keep the motivation in the long run was because they keep getting better and better because they where good at one thing they got the motivation to get good at the next thing (in the same field)and it might also help with the inspiration i am paraphrasing but it should be similar :)

Edited by BjarkeT

2 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

@Ilya thirst for Truth comes from becoming conscious of the latent suffering that's caused by ignorance.

that's why most people don't go deep into Truth.. I notice more and more: people suffer and most of the time they don't even know it.. but I can feel it lately (I don't know why I suddenly started sensing their pain) 

suffering is what ultimately keeps pushing me back into spirituality

whatever arises, love that

@Ilya awesome :)

it also explains some other things :) one of the main things it's about is how you become passionate about what you do :) 

i am actually not 100% sure he said that in the book (if not it might be on hes blog or an interview) but the book should be about this kind of stuff :) 

22 minutes ago, Ilya said:

@ajasatya how do I become conscious of it?

your motivation to start this thread was suffering. you suffer because you don't feel motivated enough to become enlightened.

how deep can it go? maybe enlightenment isn't for you. even reading what i write may cause suffering to you. why do you suffer? why can't you be content right now?

unborn Truth

@Caterpillar What do you mean by that? why afraid? I would say people are just ignorant of what could a new thing hold and the only idea they have about that new thing is their preconceptions, which are usually not too interesting, therefore they think that the new thing might be boring.

Why are children curious? Why did you stop being curious?

B R E A T H E

@pluto  i wanna tell you that I had a major breakthrough because of your comment, thanks lol

it kinda merged with leo's latest vid and became a powerful tool

Edited by Ilya

Because the world is fucking interesting. Take a look around you, this whole thing is bloody incredible, even the mere fact that it is happening at all. 

7 hours ago, Ilya said:

@pluto because I think I know everything

This is the problem, you are too ignorant of your own ignorance, you are veiling yourself to the mystery of what's around you. 

Curiosity in comparison to something/someone is shallow. 

contemplate your own motivations and the way you get curious about something.

you´re probably more curious about life than 90% ..  ;)

I'm hyper-curious about some things, yet I also get bored incredibly easily.

When I get hyper-curious about something it can become an obsession. I can lose my sense of self and of time. I can spend hours and hours, researching and developing models to figure it out. At times, I suddenly realize I haven't eaten all day and I really really need to use the toilet. Sometimes when I'm with someone, I ask lots of questions and try to form hypotheses and models - the other person often gets exhausted and asks me to stop.

The flip side is that I can get soooo bored with people and common ideas floating around. I generally like eccentric people that step outside the social norm box. I have strong urges to find new perspectives, ways of looking at the world, interesting ideas.  I travel to different cultures abroad, dabble in quantum physics, learn a foreign language etc. to engage my mind. Boredom is my personal hell and it is one reason I love psychedelics so much. It makes anything and everything interesting.

Yet, I've read this is garden-variety stuff for an INTP.

@Serotoninluv I recommend you watch leo's latest video. It made me realize that even in some "boring" and "obvious" situations there is always something to learn, in the simplest and everyday concepts. ( I generalized for myself the idea that was talked about in the video )

8 hours ago, Ilya said:

@pluto  i wanna tell you that I had a major breakthrough because of your comment, thanks lol

it kinda merged with leo's latest vid and became a powerful tool

That's why i am here <3 Its my complete pleasure to help others see truth/light within themselves :)

B R E A T H E