Leo Gura

Forum Is Back Online

121 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The forum seems to be back online at this point and working properly. If you notice any bugs or minor issues, let me know.

Note: You will need to log in again. Old login cookies have been deleted.

Note: You should refresh the forum pages you've been visiting lately to clear out old cache. Without refreshing the page you may see old data.

Note: There was a day or two of data loss from a week ago, so some of your last posts or PMs may be gone. This is not a bug.

I am still in the process of checking the rest of the site beyond the forum. There may be some missing functionality there right now.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Yewww, let's go! That was scary, def saving the book list now i thought those resources were gone

I thought we are back to July last year 🥲

Posted (edited)

What caused the issue?

Edited by UnbornTao

Appreciate the work you put into keeping the forum going, thanks Leo

@Leo Gura glad to hear it.  Migrate to the cloud buddy 

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

30 minutes ago, blessedlion1993 said:

Is the store working too? I can't log in

Login is having issues for me as well. after putting in my password and clicking submit it seems to just refresh the page and not log in. 

Focus on the solution, not the problem

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, blessedlion1993 said:

Is the store working too? I can't log in

The product logins are still broken right now for everyone. We're working to fix it.

12 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

@Leo Gura glad to hear it.  Migrate to the cloud buddy 

We will be migrating to a better provider.

Edited by Leo Gura

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, UnbornTao said:

What caused the issue?

The hosting company that was originally managing my server got bought out by another company, and then that other company decided to change my server to something else and broke the site when they were migrating between servers. They did this migration without telling me. It took me a week just to find out from them that they did this sneaky migration. Migrating servers is a big deal because unless all the settings are transferred then the site will break in many ways which are difficult to track down. It took me a week of going back and forth with them to figure out that this happened and how to fix it.

It's never a good sign when your hosting company gets bought out by a bigger one. Usually the quality of service drops. But also migrating to a new company is also a huge pain in the ass and leads to its own downtime. I really didn't like that my old hosting company got bought out, but I was hoping it would work out. Well, it turned into this disaster.

Unfortunately it's not uncommon for hosting companies to get bought out by bigger ones, who then provide worse service to maximize their profits. Whenever I select hosting companies I try to go with ones who are not too large and greedy because those kind of companies end up cutting corners or jacking up prices.

Edited by Leo Gura

Posted (edited)

Wait wtf?

How come before I saw that lots of my posts were deleted and now I see them back again?

Hyeeeeewwwwww I'm glad they're back

Never mind

Edited by fopylo

I missed this forum. Happy it's back.

12 minutes ago, fopylo said:

Wait wtf?

How come before I saw that lots of my posts were deleted and now I see them back again?

Because the forum data was not migrated properly, so about a years worth of data was missing.

But we fixed that.

Damn, that sucks. What was the hosting provider that got bought out Leo? I use DigitalOcean/Vultr for my personal projects.

Great !

When will the videos be released though? 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

58 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

Migrate to the cloud buddy 

Sorry for my ignorance but what this means? 

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The hosting company that was originally managing my server got bought out by another company, and then that other company decided to change my server to something else and broke the site when they were migrating between servers. They did this migration without telling me. It took me a week just to find out from them that they did this sneaky migration. Migrating servers is a big deal because unless all the settings are transferred then the site will break in many ways which are difficult to track down. It took me a week of going back and forth with them to figure out that this happened and how to fix it.

It's never a good sign when your hosting company gets bought out by a bigger one. Usually the quality of service drops. But also migrating to a new company is also a huge pain in the ass and leads to its own downtime. I really didn't like that my old hosting company got bought out, but I was hoping it would work out. Well, it turned into this disaster.

Unfortunately it's not uncommon for hosting companies to get bought out by bigger ones, who then provide worse service to maximize their profits. Whenever I select hosting companies I try to go with ones who are not too large and greedy because those kind of companies end up cutting corners.

I see, thanks for sharing. I hope the new company will at least notify you of their decisions beforehand. Those bastards. ;) 

Edited by UnbornTao

14 minutes ago, Juan said:

Sorry for my ignorance but what this means? 

Smaller providers sometimes don't have good redundancy or security..or good backups...larger cloud providers like Azure or AWS have layers of that...but honestly I thought maybe he still ran it out of his basement..you know- the tower server with 2 hard drives and tape backups 😀😃

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.