Yousif

Does exercising really make you live longer?

178 posts in this topic

Exercise (if done well) tends to increase my capacity to feel my body, making me more susceptible to feel what makes me feel good and what does not. 

Making me want to feel and live healthier and cleaner, which results in me being able to spend more moments in my life enjoying/living instead of suffering. Being able to spend more moments living instead of suffering can be considered a form of living longer. Chronologically I may go earlier, but that would no longer be the priority (nor would I mind).

4 hours ago, Optimized Life said:

Shut your fuck up and go work out, every fucking day. 

This thread is pointless. 

You're talking about living longer but you're wasting your finite time discussing this shit back and forth, debating? You guys aren't serious about life, just wasting it. Stop

why was this part necessary 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Lol @Yousif is trolling and you guys actually taking your time to explain yourself

7 hours ago, Heaven said:

Lol @Yousif is trolling and you guys actually taking your time to explain yourself

Based on how he engaged with  other threads and based on how he lays out his reasoning in other threads - I doubt he is trolling.

His thoughtprocess and personality also matches with a typical spiral dynamics obsessed Leo viewer.

47 minutes ago, zurew said:

His thoughtprocess and personality also matches with a typical spiral dynamics obsessed Leo viewer.

lol

This is quite in-depth, and I've liked the host in different topics if you haven't seen him before. It made me think of a few things that hadn't occurred to me. Falling, for example, is responsible for many resulting conditions, and contributors to mortality, so strengthening the legs directly helps counter it.

7 hours ago, BlueOak said:

Nice share! Andy is such a down-to-earth guy, explaining cutting-edge stuff with simplicity. He is the more accessible version of Peter Attia 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I have never had so little libido since I started exercising regularly.
Sv3rige/Goatis is crazy, but he explained somewhere that he had the same observation.

By reducing sport and increasing my body fat, I went from 650ng/dl at 18 years old to AT LEAST 900 at 20 years old.
The majority of bodybuilders that I follow have a fairly average or even low testosterone level, the first French bodybuilding YouTuber has a little over 520ng/dl, he is hairless, anxious (orthorexic) and is unable to push even 'a little beard.
The majority of sports tend to reduce testosterone levels, perhaps it is different for team sports, if a sport is really pleasant then I imagine that the extra dopamine will compensate for the psychological stress.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Schizophonia said:

I have never had so little libido since I started exercising regularly.

Now, libido (or testosterone) is one thing that certainly does not correlate squarely with longevity 😂 Neither behaviorally nor physiologically. Or rather for the physiological aspect, it's a bell curve (too low T and too high T is probably not good). Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass (I know little about the subject). I wonder if OP will react to this 😄

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Posted (edited)

On 4/1/2024 at 7:02 AM, Yousif said:

You’re all scientifically minded and empirical facts worshippers, if you answer this one scientific question then I will let you have it, 

tell me, doesn’t relativity mean that everything is relative and nothing is actually a fact, why do you take the stance of having empirical facts then?

you literally cannot say something is one thing over its opposite, this is the real world, you cannot say health will make you live longer, even if you take data and measure lifespans of all people, still all you have is a pattern, you do not have a fact, there literally is no such a thing as a fact in the real world.

Recent studies on hormesis suggest the maximum lifespan can be extended, quality of life issues aside, is 30-60%.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1568163723003409?via%3Dihub

Regardless, I don't believe in the "relativity" theories promoted by the stage greens, that there is no "ultimate truth" that and that reality is simply what you perceive. There are very specific rules to incarnating in this physical reality that if violated come with consequences. Just try jumping from a plane without a parachute or drinking gasoline claiming you can do anything, because facts don't exist and everything is perception. Have that peanut allergy? Doesn't matter, munch away... all you have to do is believe that you are invincible.

I'm not inclined to judge those who don't exercise, even if I do. Both my grandparents lived into their 80's without being exercisers. They were frail, but I guess exercise is a habit you either grow to love or you don't , like any other habit, and not everyone wants to live forever or want to spend half their week walking around. One of my grandmothers literally smoked 2 packs a day her entire adult life, for 50 years, because she had a near death experience in her early 20's and didn't fear dying (despite being an atheist at the time)

Regardless, the two things that extend lifespan and quality of life the most tend to be exercise and caloric restriction, specifically lower intensity zone 2 exercise such as slow jogging, which is probably the most beneficial activity any person could really make a habit. I must jog to keep my sciatica in check. It's not an option. It took 60 days for the pain to go away, but it stays away as long as I do my 10-20 miles a week. Road biking on the other hand makes it worse or at best has no effect, which is unfortunate because I enjoy doing it, but if you really think about it, sitting on a hard stationary seat and rotating your legs in a hunched over position is not really natural from an evolutionary standpoint.

For nutrients I've narrowed it down to just a couple the average person could use to help with longevity and just because we tend to be deficient in them:

Vitamin D, K2, and Magnesium.. if you get a lot of sunlight you can skip the D and K2. Humans evolved in sunlight, and now we get almost none. This is a problem as far as production of Vitamin D goes.

Glycine or Collagen in the diet, along with the related compounds choline and betaine (egg yolks and whole wheat) .. we evolved eating the organs, skin, and bones of animals, and now we only eat muscle meat, lacking collagen. We ate a ton of eggs, a top choline source, and are now scared away by government propaganda on eggs.

A diet rich in polyphenols. Think berries and cocoa. They actually work because they provide low dose stressors to the body.. the hormesis effect, as do all plant foods.  The majority of evolution we ate paleolithic... meat, eggs, fish, berries, nuts, and tubers.

https://nautil.us/fruits-and-vegetables-are-trying-to-kill-you-234982/

Regardless there is a lot of analysis paralysis in modern society today. Most people would be better off getting off social media and using common sense over falling into some echo chamber when it comes to anything, not just diet and longevity. Yes, I'm guilty of this. Sigh.

Edited by sholomar

Posted (edited)

Why not exercise simply because you enjoy it? For example, I wound up doing an unplanned meditation session yesterday and I just let go and basked in it.

I also started jogging a few mins in the morning and I feel fantastic

Edited by Yimpa

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Yimpa said:

Why not exercise simply because you enjoy it?

That's the main reason why I do it. But I don't do it mainly for the "high" (hedonic pleasure). There are many highs I avoid (sugar, drugs). I do it mainly for the increased functionality, which makes life in general more pleasurable (eudaimonic pleasure) and not least more meaningful. The problem with hedonism is that it's experienced as quite meaningless and causes degeneration. When you go for functionality, there is inherent meaning in that, and there is growth rather than degeneration.

Edited by Carl-Richard

14 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Now, libido (or testosterone) is one thing that certainly does not correlate squarely with longevity 😂 Neither behaviorally nor physiologically. Or rather for the physiological aspect, it's a bell curve (too low T and too high T is probably not good). Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass (I know little about the subject). I wonder if OP will react to this 😄

Having huge testosterone levels like in a TRT overdose is certainly bad, but it's still less worse than not having enough, so probably not a steep curve. :ph34r:

What I meant is that your libido and by extension all the physiological feedback loops involved (HPA axis, HPTA, Monoamine oxidase A/B, reuptake of monoamines and catecholamines, methylation...) are ultimately the reflection of your vital energy.
The secret to longevity and recovery is life energy, ether, kundalini, whatever you want to call it. Otherwise, well, you will fail to heal your cells, replace them with new cells (stem) and you will develop physical pathologies linked to aging.

Since we were born we have only been dying

https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/babies-experience-life-as-an-lsd-trip-as-a-result-of-their-high-metabolism.24941/

Bodybuilding tends to be stressful and sap of life energy, that's what I basically meant.

Competitive team sports would likely have the opposite effect.

53 minutes ago, UnbornTao said:

@Carl-Richard Do you avoid all added sugar?

There are some food items with added sugars that I use, like Sriracha sauce, Barilla basilico tomato sauce, etc. These either contain little added sugar or I use them only in limited amounts. Let me put it this way: I only eat during my 3 meals that only contain "real" foods (proper macronutrient profile) and I only drink water. The only exception is one fruit during my gym workouts. I avoid sodas, juices, cakes, sweets, snacks, caffeine, alcohol, etc. I also mostly avoid foods like pizza where the main ingredients are flour and I avoid eating too much bread (it makes me feel bad).

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

There are some food items with added sugars that I use, like Sriracha sauce, Barilla basilico tomato sauce, etc. These either contain little added sugar or I use them only in limited amounts. Let me put it this way: I only eat during my 3 meals that only contain "real" foods (proper macronutrient profile) and I only drink water. The only exception is one fruit during my gym workouts. I avoid sodas, juices, cakes, sweets, snacks, caffeine, alcohol, etc. I also mostly avoid foods like pizza where the main ingredients are flour and I avoid eating too much bread (it makes me feel bad).

Sounds good, thank you.

Going seven days without added sugars wasn't easy for me; not a short-term goal for me as of now.

Edited by UnbornTao

2 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

Competitive team sports would likely have the opposite effect.

Why?

57 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Why?

Because it’s clearly motivating/engaging.
Lifting weights in a vacuum is just stressful.

2 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

Because it’s clearly motivating/engaging.
Lifting weights in a vacuum is just stressful.

Horsecocking heavy weight is hella engaging. Wtf are you talking about?