woohoo123

What is your plan for physically looking after yourself in your 80’s?

17 posts in this topic

hi,

I’m wondering how everyone is planning to look after themselves when they are older and physically incapable of doing so themselves.

I am talking on purely physical terms here, like how are you gonna shit, shower, cook, clean when you can’t physically do so yourself? 

I know this is rather unpredictable, as technology and AI will change things a lot. But I wanted to ask, what would be a ‘wise’ way to prepare for this challenge at that stage of life? What things should we aim to have in place to make this easier for ourselves?

I come from a community where elders would typically live with younger families, so these chores and basic living needs get handled for them just by being in close proximity to people.

However I notice in spiritual communities there is a pull towards solitude and solo/independent living. This kind of ‘agreement’ is less common now days and I think will continue to be so going forwards. 

real story: my great grandma requires a walker and if she falls she cannot physically get up on her own. One time she fell on the way to the toilet and she couldn’t get up. But she knew she would be fine as my mum always drops by each day. Now if that were to happen to me, (I see/speak to others outside my gf maybe… once a month?) - yea I would be dead before anyone found me :D

I feel people used to have kids partly for this purpose, and there would be a forced agreement ‘I look after you when you’re young, you look after me when I’m old’ kind of thing. 

Maybe we are too solo nowadays?

Will you depend on being able to reach technology/alarm mechanism to contact others in these kind of emergencies? Is that a sensible thing to do? 

Will you go to a care home (need money) but be forced to comply with meal times, bed times etc? 

I think money is a given but what would your living arrangements look like? What would be a good way to live for you at this stage of your life? 

Thanks everyone 

Working out is the answer,you lose more and more muscles in old age and your bones can snap by itself,so working out is the answer.I see myself doing some workouts so im not disabled..

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

I firmly believe that when my body will start to collapse I will have no problem just killing myself in some cool peaceful way and just moving on to the next dream. I think we are quite obsessed in living as long as possible. I don't think that's healthy. 

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

1 hour ago, NoSelfSelf said:

Working out is the answer,you lose more and more muscles in old age and your bones can snap by itself,so working out is the answer.I see myself doing some workouts so im not disabled..

I may be wrong here, but I can’t imagine my great grandma working out in her state anymore. I think this has to be a lifelong activity before you get too old. I think there may be a point of no return where let’s say you can’t even hold your own body weight standing (when your 90 or so) working out and being able to come off a walker idk I don’t see it happening too often. I think it’s more common once your on a walker you tend to have it for life.

1 hour ago, Arthogaan said:

I firmly believe that when my body will start to collapse I will have no problem just killing myself in some cool peaceful way and just moving on to the next dream. I think we are quite obsessed in living as long as possible. I don't think that's healthy. 

like assisted suicide? Interesting. I think the ‘peaceful way’ would have to be important. I don’t think old people can will themselves to die  even if they ‘want’ to :D but at what point would that be appropriate for you? Maybe you only know when you get there. When you get too far down the road even travel or sitting on a plane/bus/car becomes difficult (unless you do it at home somehow and don’t mess it up which might be painful). But I can even imagine there will be a lot of ‘home technology’/health tracking which would alert people or prevent you from doing this kind of stuff at home

Edited by woohoo123

36 minutes ago, woohoo123 said:

like assisted suicide? Interesting. I think the ‘peaceful way’ would have to be important. I don’t think old people can will themselves to die  even if they ‘want’ to :D but at what point would that be appropriate for you? Maybe you only know when you get there. When you get too far down the road even travel or sitting on a plane/bus/car becomes difficult (unless you do it at home somehow and don’t mess it up which might be painful). But I can even imagine there will be a lot of ‘home technology’/health tracking which would alert people or prevent you from doing this kind of stuff at home

I imagine that at some point I will just feel that my mission here is done or that my body does not longer allow me to pursue my mission so I should just move on. I think if we would know culturally that we are indeed Consciousness/Gods it would be normal to just come to realization in old age that it's time to move on. Imagine it. That it would be normal to decide that you know, I think I'm done, it was such a beatiful life, let's go further. You would inform your loved ones, and everyone would be rejoiced that you are going to transition to the next phase, you and your friends and family would make great last party and so on. Yeah.

But realistically I would just travel to the country that supports euthanasia which I believe will be plenty when I get old. Or just stop eating and leave in meditation. Whatever. It's not that difficult to commit suicide.

1)Light muscle training and walking.

2)Red light therapy.

3)Good diet.

4)Supplements 

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

Why worry about not being able to take a dump when you're 80plus now. I'd be more concerned with how I'm living now so I'm still able to take care of myself now before worrying about what will happen in those respects after I reach a certain age. Lots of people at that age are still able to take care of themselves physically and die while still being able to. Old age doesn't automatically mean you can't still do those things. It's how you currently live and take care of yourself that may determine if you'd still be able to or not.

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

@woohoo123 We are speaking about you here.You have to be active all your life and certently you can be active as 90 year old.My grandma had 90 years she was walking 3 floors upstairs with bunch of clothes ready to dry them.She was phisicaly really capable.

Ofcourse its genetic thing, but she was active like that and if you never been active just picking yourself off the floor position is a workout itself ...

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

1 hour ago, NoSelfSelf said:

@woohoo123 We are speaking about you here.You have to be active all your life and certently you can be active as 90 year old.My grandma had 90 years she was walking 3 floors upstairs with bunch of clothes ready to dry them.She was phisicaly really capable.

Ofcourse its genetic thing, but she was active like that and if you never been active just picking yourself off the floor position is a workout itself ...

Thank you, this is an inspiring vision. Better than the one I had for how things may pan out. Although I wonder how it all works out in the end… in my mind it’s a steady decline, but maybe it doesn’t always have to turn out like that.

There is technology that will detect elderly falls at home right now. The elderly live alone.

22 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

1)Light muscle training and walking.

2)Red light therapy.

3)Good diet.

4)Supplements 

Oh, It's Mister I don't care about grip strength advising about exactly what grip strength is for, you rascal.

To the OP, grip strength and muscle mass are the most important things for being a healthy old person, old people fall, and if you fall and break your E.g hip bone in your 70s, there's about a 15-30% chance that you'll be dead within just 12 months.

Edited by MarkKol

Living healthly in the meantime sounds like a good investment for those days.

3 hours ago, MarkKol said:

Oh, It's Mister I don't care about grip strength advising about exactly what grip strength is for, you rascal.

To the OP, grip strength and muscle mass are the most important things for being a healthy old person, old people fall, and if you fall and break your E.g hip bone in your 70s, there's about a 15-30% chance that you'll be dead within just 12 months.

All muscular exercises will help preserve bone mass.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

I'll do my best to stay healthy as long as possible, but I intend to die before that happens to me. Maybe I'll change my mind down the line who knows.

Sailing on the ceiling 

On 15/2/2024 at 3:28 PM, Arthogaan said:

I imagine that at some point I will just feel that my mission here is done or that my body does not longer allow me to pursue my mission so I should just move on. I think if we would know culturally that we are indeed Consciousness/Gods it would be normal to just come to realization in old age that it's time to move on. Imagine it. That it would be normal to decide that you know, I think I'm done, it was such a beatiful life, let's go further. You would inform your loved ones, and everyone would be rejoiced that you are going to transition to the next phase, you and your friends and family would make great last party and so on. Yeah.

But realistically I would just travel to the country that supports euthanasia which I believe will be plenty when I get old. Or just stop eating and leave in meditation. Whatever. It's not that difficult to commit suicide.

Who are you to decide that your mission is done? maybe staying here on eartth more years to allow others taking care of you and loving you when you are old is also your mision, and if you decide to quit you're deniying the oportonity to others to love.

52 minutes ago, Shawn Philips said:

Who are you to decide that your mission is done?

Consciousness.