Rafael Thundercat

Development of a list of Good Articulate Communicators

39 posts in this topic

Well recently I have been noticing that depending of who I am listening the very flow and articulation of the speaker have good or derogatory effects over me.

For example, Richard Tarnas,John Vervaeke and others, no matter the topic, these folks communicate in stunts, yes I understand, it have nothing to do if they say truths or not, and even to stunt can be a sign that the guy is trying to be carefull with what he say. But as a role model to articulate discourse they are not good.

Leo material called my attention exactly because of the speach flow, and since I have a lot of pointers in my horoscope,Human Desing, Numerology and more that I am to invest in my verbal communication I am into listing a good playlist of good articulate people

so:

Below is an incomplete list of speakers who are renowned for their rich vocabularies, skilled command of language, and quick wit. While there are many more articulate orators of centuries past not included on this list, it’s important to listen to the speaker’s words in the spirit in which they were intended to be received. Thus, I’ve chosen speakers of which there are plentiful video and audio recordings of their original orations available on YouTube and Spotify.

Remember, the topics are not to be the primary focus of attention when listening to these speakers. Instead, focus is on the vocabulary patterns in how these skilled communicators communicate. Take note of the words and phrases they use to get their message across, how they structure their sentences, the rhythm and intonation they characterize their words with, and their usage (or lack thereof) of pauses and silence. In no particular order, here is the list of wordsmiths

1)      Christopher Hitchens                                14) Ronald Reagan

2)     Milton Friedman                                                    15) David Foster Wallace

3)     Sadhguru                                                                 16) Mahatma Gandhi

4)    Tony Robbins                                                          17) Jane Goodall

5)     Jimmy Carr                                                             18) Rod Serling

6)     Barack Obama                                                       19) Winston Churchill           

7)     Martin Luther King Jr                                            20) Steve Jobs

8)    Malala Yousafzai                                                    21) JK Rowling

9)     Brene Brown                                                          22) Frank Sinatra

10)  John F. Kennedy                                                    23) Nick Vijicic

11)    Carl Sagan                                                               24) Zig Zigler

12)   Simon Sinek                                                            25) Mel Robbins

13)   Steve Jobs                                                               26) Stephen Fry

Do you guys can add in this thread other speakers who may dominate the art of speaking with clarity and flow

THANKS

Leo Gura.

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

Jordan Peterson is a good articulate communicator, whether you support him or not is a different matter

Jim Rohn

Vernon Howard

Howard Stern

Owen Cook

Alex Jones (he is good at speaking)

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 hours ago, Ayham said:

Jordan Peterson is a good articulate communicator, whether you support him or not is a different matter

That's a highly contentious one 😂

• David Chalmers
  • Bernardo Kastrup
  • Robert Sapolsky
  • Rupert Sheldrake
  • Noam Chomsky
  • (And although I hate to say it): Richard Dawkins, Neil deGrasse Tyson.

— little fluff, straight to the point, avoids jargon unless completely necessary (and explains it when necessary), properly paced, good flow, clear and well-conceived tried-and-tested thoughts, well-rehearsed, concerned about things that are meaningful (in their own ways).

The opposite (although they're not guilty of lacking all the points above) would be:

• Jordan Peterson (at times, speaks in convoluted paragraphs).
  • Eric Weinstein (and Bret Weinstein at times; both use a kind of poetic, flowery and academically technical language; pretty difficult combination).
  • Daniel Dennett ("philosophy ate my brain").
  • Sam Harris (uses way too many analogies and thought experiments).
  • Daniel Schmachtenberger (has very peculiar interests which affects his language, and his mind goes 15% faster than anyone else).
  • Terrence McKenna (too flowery and "out there", but he is fun to listen to generally).
  • Ben Shapiro (15% too fast, other than that he is pretty good).
  • Chris Langan (jargonitis).
  • Curt Jaimungal (mild jargonitis, sometimes odd word choices and pacing).
Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Sam Harris is a very good speaker.

I don't focus on being a good speaker. I focus on quality and depth of insight, which is quite a different thing.

Edited by Leo Gura

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

I don't focus on being a good speaker. I focus on quality amd depth of insight, which is quite a different thing.

He definitely is. Don't get me wrong: the "opposite" list is not that bad overall if you ignore what I put in the parentheses. They can be pretty good in other areas, and that definitely applies to Sam Harris. So I just find his use of metaphors and analogies a bit excessive with respect to actually getting a point across, but it can be fun to listen to as well (same with the Weinsteins or Terrence McKenna). I used to listen to his videos and podcasts all the time when I was like 15-18 :D He also just tends to draw his answers out a lot beyond what is meaningful (it's a bit self-indulgent in a way), it's a bit hard to explain. That's just a feeling I have.

Edited by Carl-Richard

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I don't focus on being a good speaker. I focus on quality and depth of insight, which is quite a different thing.

I guess we don't need to focus on what comes naturally.

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

Tell me what you think about this. He strikes me as the definition of "direct".

•  Alex Hormozi - distills complex business principles into clear articulate ideas that a middle schooler could understand
  •  Dan Koe - most of his vids are just baby actualized lectures, but he does speak very articulately and thoughtfully
  • Andrew Tate- I hate him, but you may actually able to take some lessons from his strong and persuasive speaking style
  • Maybe some pro podcasters like Tim Ferriss and Chris Williamson

Many good recs from others too like schmactenberger and jordan peterson

41 minutes ago, Phil King said:

Many good recs from others too like schmactenberger and jordan peterson

Those were anti-recs, but ok 😛 

But again, they can be good speakers in other areas. Both Daniel and Jordan have blown my mind many times, and that wouldn't have been possible if they weren't exceptional communicators. I just highlighted their weak sides.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Neil degree's Tyson 

Obama

Edited by mmKay

World's #1 Spiritual Twerking Coach 🍑

@Leo Gura Why have you stopped making videos?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise health problems. He will do videos in future again after recovery (that's my last stand)

5 hours ago, How to be wise said:

@Leo Gura Why have you stopped making videos?

Needed a break.

Destiny - really good at clartiy and breaking complex topics down to layman language and good at meeting you where you at without needing to constantly use a speech script.

16 hours ago, Rafael Thundercat said:

Sadhguru 

I don't think he is a good communicator. He always speaks in generalities and almost never points to any specifics and when he tries to give an answer to a  pointed question he rambles a lot and he always goes on tangents. 

13 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I understand, I also need to find balance in Structure and Content, If the speaker have amazing articulation but to much of low integrity in content I need to be aware of this and know my boudaries, but what I am studying is what are the ones able to make a transmition with less clutter and verbal addictions, everyone have their own bias but in this research I am bias for the ones able to deliver maximum with less and less friction in the trasmition. If one keeps hearing bad speakers one can end up catching their language manias, so if one hear great speakers the principle still applies

13 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Tell me what you think about this. He strikes me as the definition of "direct".

He is not bad, but I guess Leo would deliver the same Topic faster and more direct than him. This guy needs urgently a mindfuck psycadelic experience to crack his materialistic Head in the middle 

The Guy from Formscape Youtube Channel is very articulate, I just speed up a little his videos and it become more easy to follow his discourse.

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Needed a break.

What work have you been doing since 2023?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie