Sabth

Maybe if I don't listen to music I would have done well in my life?

25 posts in this topic

I don't know. But I have always listened to music since I was young. I wonder what it would be like life without music. There must be no distraction. Since I was young, I have watch movies and dramas and listened to music. I love arts I create drawings and I write a lot. 

What if I don't have all these? If I don't listen to music and don't watch movies? What would my life be like? 

I like "where u at" , and all sorts of songs. I started young. 14? Up until 18-23 - forever after, I listened to music. And back then there was just so much good music that I listened to. My life is like a movie. I listened to music while walking and going to classes and everything. I really do enjoy music. I don't talk or speak a lot. My life is music. But I respect others I will listen to it using my earphone. Now I wonder if I don't listen to music will I do well in my life? Will I be able to focus on myself more? Will there be less distraction? Idk.

If I could do everything well together it would be a bonus to my life. Music would be a cherry on top. That's what it used to be. 

Or am I way too distracted? 

Edited by Sabth

47 minutes ago, Sabth said:

I don't talk or speak a lot.

You are probably autistic or have Aspergers or a disorder which is something related.

But that what also makes you interesting. Normal humans are NOT interesting to me.

47 minutes ago, Sabth said:

Now I wonder if I don't listen to music will I do well in my life? Will I be able to focus on myself more? Will there be less distraction? Idk.

No, of course. Your life would have been much more horrible without music. Music is a beautiful thing; hence it makes your life more beautiful and satisfying. But as the old saying goes "Too much good is bad.". It's about control and moderation.

And of course, you need to create ambitions and goals so you can look forward to the future. If you don't, who will create and accomplish them for you?

Idk. I wanna stop listening to music and see how my life goes. There's not even good music these days. So it wasn't hard even if I wanna stop. But today I listened to a lot of music. 

*Wasn't even hard. 

I blocked all music and I feel a lot more at peace. The little dopamine rush from music could distract and numb myself from work and responsibility. But I am very sensitive to all distraction cause I have ADHD. 

Just try it out and see how it goes. 

Moderation is probably key. You can put a timer on your music to make it easier when you find it positive to reduce your consumption. 

4 hours ago, Sabth said:

There's not even good music these days.

Are you sure? Like, for real? Really? This is your conclusion? Wow, I find it fascinating that you would say that.

@jimwell, you know I no longer had a dream when I left university four years ago? I barely even leave the house. I'm stuck. 

2 hours ago, Applegarden8 said:

Are you sure? Like, for real? Really? This is your conclusion? Wow, I find it fascinating that you would say that.

Maybe it was because I'm old. It started a few years ago. Otherwise I would really enjoy music. But there was a time that I would think that music is just very noisy to my ears. And it just hurt my ears listening to music. Otherwise I would really enjoy music back then. I think it was because I had different things to do back then and music is just something I would listen to as a reward at the end of the day. 

Music can inspire you to get yo ass up and move!

Also great to listen to Star Wars music in the car if you’re a food delivery driver. I feel like Anakin in Episode I!

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

@Sabth i dont know what kind of music you listen. But I listen music in a funtional way. Sometimes to enjoy and explore new tendencies but I use music the same way some people use Mantras. So if music distract you you may try to select music as it was a sort of medicine, some even say the medicine, music and meditation have the same root. 

For example, today I was readimg some stuff in my computer and writing some inspirations while listening this one.  The spotify version I think is better quality.

Is music have lyrics for me it need to at least help me to contemplate deep stuff. Same with movies,books, conversations with people. Of course some balance to have openess but better treat almost all you add to your body as it was food. To much junksounds and I would have a mental indigestion. 

Edited by Rafael Thundercat

Nah music is good for you. It actually improves the way you listen, think and overall, it improves your communication skills.

I wish I listen to more music when I was young and actually took more time to listen to the lyrics instead of just blind listening without understanding. Now I have to play catch up.

Very improbable for music to be a reason of any of your problems. That's a red herring. Find a courage to face your real problems and challenges to solve.

7 minutes ago, Girzo said:

Very improbable for music to be a reason of any of your problems. That's a red herring. Find a courage to face your real problems and challenges to solve.

This is not true, music greatly reduces your basal levels of dopamine and certainly other neurotransmitters in certain regions of the brain.
I recently went from listening to several hours of music a day (especially crude music like heavy metal or rap) to not listening to any music due to lack of means.
Well :
-Indeed I am more inclined to work, my concentration is better.
-I have more libido, and my fantasies are much more "alpha" (not sadistic either).
-I am calmer, I naturally put less punctuation in my answers.                                                                                                               

-My voice is deeper and my presence has clearly increased, even if it is subtle, except possibly if I have just done sport and I am physiologically particularly stressed.

0% placebo, impossible so much that it’s obvious.

Edited by Schizophonia

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

Btw, now I clearly think that all the "deep problems" stories are excuses for not having to make good long term decisions. Cope.

And I believe that behind that there is a denial of individual responsibilities, a narcissistic rage due to the fact that you do not want to accept that people love you in relation to what you can bring, and that you must have a project.
It's still fuzzy in my mind so I may or may not be partly right, idk.

Edited by Schizophonia

9 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

This is not true, music greatly reduces your basal levels of dopamine and certainly other neurotransmitters in certain regions of the brain.

I would beware of any neurological explanation of phenomena from people who lack formal neuroscience education.

I believe your experience. I think the dopamine-related explanation is dubious and recommend everyone reading this post to avoid falling into this trap of looking for sciencey explanations for every personal experience.

9 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

0% placebo, impossible so much that it’s obvious.

Placebo is very possible in your case. Read what it means. Placebo is a real tangible effect happening, but without an apparent mechanistic cause. The whole problem with placebo is that it works. Your single case can say nothing about whether it's a placebo effect or not. Your benefits of not listening music are true, though, no doubt here.

Edited by Girzo

I used to be able to really enjoy and taste the music but since a few years ago, I just found it to be noisy. I used to really like music and music is my language. 

1 minute ago, Girzo said:

I would beware of any neurological explanation of phenomena from people who lack formal neuroscience education.

I believe your experience. I think the dopamine-related explanation is dubious and recommend everyone reading this post to avoid falling into this trap of looking for sciencey explanations for every personal experience.

This is why I specified “or other neurotransmitters”.
But hey I thought about dopamine (gnegnegne dopamine is actually a neuromodulator, I saw huberman's video, gnegnegne :P) because the effect is what you would expect from a small dose of adderal, that is to say an additional calm, a need for higher order, a more assertive way and attitude...

Placebo is very possible in your case. Read what it means. Placebo is a real tangible effect happening,

No, this is not a voluntary experiment, I just left my headphones at one of my parents' houses and I noticed these changes downstream.
Incidentally, I don't see why drugs, gambling, or even watching YouTube videos would ruin your neuroendocrine balance, but not listening to music for hours and hours every day.

but without an apparent mechanistic cause. The whole problem with placebo is that it works. Your single case can say nothing about whether it's a placebo effect or not.

Are you suggesting that until you have a meta-analysis in science of "how music induces downregulation of the number and sensitivity of dopamine receptors in the hippocampus" you will assume that it is probably a placebo? :ph34r:
It's as if I were saying in the Middle Ages that eating to survive is probably a placebo, because we haven't discovered the principle of energy substrates, glycolysis and so on.

@Schizophonia My man, you are bringing in ungrounded scientific talk into the conversation that needs none of it.

Regardless of lifestyle or what you did at some point, choosing to relate a certain way towards circumstances is still your responsibility.

Edited by UnbornTao

@Girzo 

All I said was that stopping listening to music had empirical benefits for me, and modestly that it probably had something to do with a change in neuroendocrine balance.
Not only it's seems be te most obvious explanation, but it is certainly what most neurologists and psychiatrists that you can find on YouTube and elsewhere would say.

That doesn't mean that I'm right, but here you are deciding on an alternative reality, like that his problem has nothing to do with music (among other things), influence of external pleasures on the brain, and that my experience was "most certainly" placebo.
And now that I have questioned your delusion, your ego is hurt and all you have to answer me is this.

1 hour ago, Girzo said:

@Schizophonia My man, you are bringing in ungrounded scientific talk into the conversation that needs none of it.

It's not meant to be dialectical, it's a b***hy response.
It's weak and pathetic.

Edited by Schizophonia