Thought Art

Looking for Recommendations for Face cleansing and hydration products

45 posts in this topic

What are your favourite products for cleaning and hydrating your face?

I am looking at the brand Cera Ve and wonder if people have other preferences?

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Would you go with Bulldog? I like that it's cheaper https://www.amazon.ca/Bulldog-everyday-Skincare-Moisturizer-Count/dp/B07WN5ZH8R?ref_=ast_sto_dp

OR should I go with Cera ve, which I heard Brian Johnston approves of which I like, but it's more expensive: https://www.amazon.ca/Cleanser-Hydrating-Moisturizing-Hyaluronic-Fragrance/dp/B08HF9LPW3/ref=sr_1_4?crid=IMFVTHHD1BM6&keywords=cerave%2Bbundle&qid=1704243335&s=beauty&sprefix=cerave%2Bbundl%2Cbeauty%2C139&sr=1-4&th=1

I am actually looking at the Cera Ve AM and Pm products as well as the cleanser. I have some money set aside for health products this month. I want to take care of my face, as well as buy some supplements. 

◭"89"

I use the brand Vanicream. They’re known for making products for people with sensitive skin

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Posted (edited)

@Thought Art I think the Cera ve is better value actually, just realized how small the Bulldog products are.

But, now I am wondering if the cleanser is hydrating why buy a moisturizer?

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

@Thought Art asked chat GPT there is a difference

◭"89"

@Jason Actualization looks like that’s for hands and feet. I don’t have a problem with really dry skin. Just want to start a skincare routine for face. 

◭"89"

1 hour ago, Thought Art said:

@Jason Actualization looks like that’s for hands and feet. I don’t have a problem with really dry skin. Just want to start a skincare routine for face. 

Skincare is a massive industry with misleading marketing. The product I linked is perfectly suitable for the skin of your face.

The best skincare routine is honestly adopting an optimal diet comprised of all of the micronutrients your body needs. Nutrition and ensuring proper hydration is the name of the game for optimizing your skin health and complexion.

The #1 thing you can do to ensure youthful-looking skin into old age is to apply a zinc-based sunscreen to your face every day before leaving your residence and going outside.

I used to apply countless products, I've honestly exhausted most options, i.e., hyaluronic acid, CeraVe, Tiege Hanley, I used to use salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide because I used to experience breakouts. Today, at age 30, my skin has never looked better, and the only product I use is a basic sunscreen with a handful of ingredients, most notably non-nano zinc, and no endocrine disrupting chemicals.

Overhauling my nutrition was what changed the game for me, I'll see if I can attach a before and after for you (I used to have acne and rosacea).

Untitled design.png

While it's true that the skincare industry is a billion dollar, profit maximizing enterprise we better do not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
I think most people would agree that a small selection of high quality products, build into a regular skincare-routine, definitely improves skin health & general appearance. We also have some interesting scientifc studies of supplements that evidently improve your skin.

When my patient ask me about which products they should use, I usually point them towards Cerave. It's usually affordable,  high quality stuff and most importantly just the ingredients you want without the nonsense. It usually goes well for individuals with sensible skin. 

Cleansing: CeraVe Gel/Foam
Moisture: CeraVe Moisturising Cream 
Sunscreen: I would also advice to regularly apply suncreen! 

Supplements that improve skin-appearence:
- Collagen (15g/d)
- Hyaluronic Acid (200mg/d)
- Creatine (5g/d)

The most potent skin-care product we know of are retinoids (Trentinoin)
-> It's a perscription only product (for treating acne), and might come with side effects (excssively dry skin among others)
-> If people want to try it, I usually reccommend starting with 0,025% and slowly  increasing towards 0,1%

As @Jason Actualization already mentioned - A skin care routine should act as an add-on - on top of an already healthy lifestyle. Your nutrition-patterns and exercise routines are by far the biggest influence on how your skin looks. Sun exposure and avoiding any type of smoke are up there as well. 

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Jason Actualization said:

Skincare is a massive industry with misleading marketing. The product I linked is perfectly suitable for the skin of your face.

The best skincare routine is honestly adopting an optimal diet comprised of all of the micronutrients your body needs. Nutrition and ensuring proper hydration is the name of the game for optimizing your skin health and complexion.

The #1 thing you can do to ensure youthful-looking skin into old age is to apply a zinc-based sunscreen to your face every day before leaving your residence and going outside.

I used to apply countless products, I've honestly exhausted most options, i.e., hyaluronic acid, CeraVe, Tiege Hanley, I used to use salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide because I used to experience breakouts. Today, at age 30, my skin has never looked better, and the only product I use is a basic sunscreen with a handful of ingredients, most notably non-nano zinc, and no endocrine disrupting chemicals.

Overhauling my nutrition was what changed the game for me, I'll see if I can attach a before and after for you (I used to have acne and rosacea).

You look really good. Congrats on the improvements!  Tretinoin bought overseas in pharmacies is the gold standard for those as they get older than you looking to reduce wrinkles.  However, you're doing it better.  Diet and lifestyle trump chemical band-aids for sure. The number one anti-aging supplement I would add aside from having ample choline intake is glycine (most important component of collagen)

Edited by sholomar

Thanks for sharing guys. I did some research I think I will use Cera ve in morning and evening and sunscreen during the day. I of course am taking a holistic approach to longevity including nutrition, fitness, emotional wellness, rest and sleep. 

◭"89"

I like CeraVe or Cetaphil gentle cleansers, or a tiny bit of dove bar soap, once a day, rinse well. I alternate moisturizers, mainly CeraVe and Cetaphil, oils work well if you're not in a hurry, coconut oil, shea butter, all right after the shower before drying off.

Posted (edited)

Definitely get sunscreen. I really don't know about spending $100+ on skincare products though, people like Jason for example clear out their face for free, while others spend hundreds to get the same result. I would definitely try to improve my skin with diet and exercise first If I was more patient and wiser. Everyone will agree that exercise and sun exposure are healthy, so definitely do that. As for diet, yeah It's important but which diet do you adopt? what do you eat? do eggs give you acne? or perhaps oats? Is something secretly making you tired and eating away at your energy?

Since I moved to my current diet my acne hasn't really gotten better, even though it is full of "healthy fats" and less than 25g of sugar.

I also use that hydrating cleanser by CeraVe

Edited by MarkKol

I just looked at CeraVe's ingredients list. I would run, but that's just me. I pick my poisons, that wouldn't be one of them.

Bull dog wasn't too bad. I would recommend that out of the two options.

Personally (I'm female so might not be the same) I don't use any of those fancy commercial store bought products, too many toxins and parabens, EDTA, tocopherol is supposed to be ok, but I don't trust it, along with a host of other chemicals I can't even pronounce. @Jason Actualization's recommendation was the purest, cleanest thing talked about here so far.

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

6 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

I just looked at CeraVe's ingredients list. I would run, but that's just me. I pick my poisons, that wouldn't be one of them.

Bull dog wasn't too bad. I would recommend that out of the two options.

Personally (I'm female so might not be the same) I don't use any of those fancy commercial store bought products, too many toxins and parabens, EDTA, tocopherol is supposed to be ok, but I don't trust it, along with a host of other chemicals I can't even pronounce. @Jason Actualization's recommendation was the purest, cleanest thing talked about here so far.

CeraVe products are perhaps the pinnacle of such which masquerade as being sophisticated and refined, rendering clinical results, when in fact they are pure poisons riddled with endocrine disrupting chemicals. Flawless skin is predominately driven by individualized nutrition, avoiding excess direct sunlight to minimize photoaging, using a mineral-based, ideally zinc, daily sunscreen/moisturizer, optimal sleep and hydration. Many folks won't want to hear this, but I'm afraid that a diet high in polyunsaturated fats (my personal recommendation is to limit these to 10% of your dietary fat intake) will also bode unfavorably for the aging of one's skin due to increased susceptibility to UV-induced oxidation.

@Jason Actualization Brian Johnson found their products to be the best. They also showed low toxicity when I researched them.

◭"89"

◭"89"

My skin is already pretty healthy 

◭"89"