Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Principium Nexus

Do Names Shape Personality?

20 posts in this topic

I have always wondered if the names of people are related to their physical/psychological identity. Often I see people that have similar characteristics with the same name. Could it be that this thing we people call with (your name) acts on a much deeper level? Short names are easy to speak (less energy needed) where as longer names tend to be more difficult. It much easier to call a short name and that name will also get called more often than longer ones influencing attention/stimulation for interaction.

Some names have some kind of feel to them as well so they might influence what you think of that person prior to knowing them.

What do you guys think? How do you experience you own name and what do you like about it or not?

I love my name and I feel resonated with it a lot; because it means 'love':)

In Turkish there are two words for noun form of 'love': one is 'aşk' which is used to say like "to be in love" type of things, this one is used quite often in the language.

'sevi' means the love of God or the love for God. Which is not used so much in the daily language, but mostly used in Sufism.

My late maternal grandfather was a mystic in Anatolia; he was a local writer and a poet. In Anatolia the mystics are called 'lovers' because they put their all life into find 'God' and to earn "God's love" and that very specific love is called: sevi.

A well-known Sufi poet "Yunus Emre" is from my grandfather's hometown and his two lines are:

"Ben gelmedim davi için

Benim işim sevi için"

Meaning: I didn't come (to the world) for (case or action or war) my whole purpose is only for love (kind of: to be love) This poem is very well known in that town.

My grandfather had the chance to have two different visits from two different enlightened Sufis (though he died un-enlightened; but according to one of my dreams he has gotten it after his death, but I can not know for sure of course, at least -hopefully- not yet) So he is the one who gave me my name:) and I always feel so so so blessed because of my name, and my deepest heartfull wish is to be capable of living my life fulfilling it, as it meant to be...

Let me see. Ahem. If I call myself Catty do I start behaving like a cat. Hmm. Yess.. 

Did Snoop Dogg turn into a lion. Noo

so what names influence me,??? Hmm

If I think of Michael, my mind thinks he must be a good guy 

Most male criminals have the name Robert, pretty common. Most female criminals that I heard of had the name Michelle. Strange??

Most people like the name Jennifer. 

I associate the name Edward with someone intelligent. 

There's nothing special about my name though. 

The names that begin with the letter D like Donald, Dan, Danny, Dorothy, Devon seem to indicate someone with a dominant and strong personality. 

Martha feels like warm and kind. 

Longer names make people look special. Shorter names make them look ordinary. 

I don't think a name influences personality. Maybe it just feels that way. 

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

That only become the truth if you start believing in it, the society made people to believe that your name will be shape your behavior.

Your personality comes from within, not from the out side but if you believe you name will shape life, that is not going to happen. you chose how you want to lead your life, not your name does that.

The name is just something that we have to use to call things.All am saying is the name has nothing to do with our personality.

I believe it does shape life. Not in a way that people with same names have the same qualities but more like if a name really fits or resonates with a person. There is a tradition in spiritual circles to give names and the master carefully selects them so that they reflect the persons true nature and act as pointer. A name can help or not help a certain person, that's what I would say. For most it's not that important though. But as people tend to identify with their name and surname the sound of it is somehow important.

Choose your name corresponding to what you want to be.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

My college friends called Me Muni (which means sanyasi) for fun.  and guess what Now iam an alien to them.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

45 minutes ago, Harikrishnan said:

My college friends called Me Muni 

If its stressed in /i/ and not /u/,dude it means /pussy/ in greek.lol

How funny could that be!

Edited by egoeimai

7 hours ago, Sevi said:

I love my name and I feel resonated with it a lot; because it means 'love':)

In Turkish there are two words for noun form of 'love': one is 'aşk' which is used to say like "to be in love" type of things, this one is used quite often in the language.

'sevi' means the love of God or the love for God. Which is not used so much in the daily language, but mostly used in Sufism.

My late maternal grandfather was a mystic in Anatolia; he was a local writer and a poet. In Anatolia the mystics are called 'lovers' because they put their all life into find 'God' and to earn "God's love" and that very specific love is called: sevi.

A well-known Sufi poet "Yunus Emre" is from my grandfather's hometown and his two lines are:

"Ben gelmedim davi için

Benim işim sevi için"

Meaning: I didn't come (to the world) for (case or action or war) my whole purpose is only for love (kind of: to be love) This poem is very well known in that town.

My grandfather had the chance to have two different visits from two different enlightened Sufis (though he died un-enlightened; but according to one of my dreams he has gotten it after his death, but I can not know for sure of course, at least -hopefully- not yet) So he is the one who gave me my name:) and I always feel so so so blessed because of my name, and my deepest heartfull wish is to be capable of living my life fulfilling it, as it meant to be...

Lol i never thought about this but my birth name in my parents language means Light. I always knew this but back then i thought of a typical lightbulb and now i see it in a completely different way <3

B R E A T H E

1 hour ago, pluto said:

Lol i never thought about this but my birth name in my parents language means Light. I always knew this but back then i thought of a typical lightbulb and now i see it in a completely different way <3

hello fellow lightbringer

Stellars interact with Terrans from ÓB (Earth’s Low Orbit).!

8 hours ago, Tendani said:

That only become the truth if you start believing in it, the society made people to believe that your name will be shape your behavior.

Your personality comes from within, not from the out side but if you believe you name will shape life, that is not going to happen. you chose how you want to lead your life, not your name does that.

The name is just something that we have to use to call things.All am saying is the name has nothing to do with our personality.

@pluto@Tendani (pluto I accidentally put you here:))

I actually totally agree with this. I think, that's important to remember that, it's just a belief system at the end of the day. We choose what kind of meanings we're gonna attribute to the things; that's us deciding to conceptualize the life one way or another.

But it's a good feeling when the labels and titles you gave, are somehow in a harmony with the essence you perceive from life.

6 hours ago, egoeimai said:

If its stressed in /i/ and not /u/,dude it means /pussy/ in greek.lol

How funny could that be!

Funny enough to make u laugh☺      It dosent matter if it means pussy in Greek. It means Sanyasi in our language, and thats only what matters. And am not going to ask your name because without even stressing any letter it might mean pussy in Malayalam ?

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

8 minutes ago, Harikrishnan said:

Funny enough to make u laugh☺      It dosent matter if it means pussy in Greek. It means Sanyasi in our language, and thats only what matters. And am not going to ask your name because without even stressing any letter it might mean pussy in Malayalam ?

Ooook !

I think names are an expression of ourselves...it's especially interesting to look at online nicknames. 

Mine is more affiliated magic and wizardry, 'arcane energies' , I've had this online name for a long time since I was like a teen. 

Edited by Arkandeus

Stellars interact with Terrans from ÓB (Earth’s Low Orbit).!

I don't know about other traditions but in the Indian culture they give quite a lot of importance to your name and I know this because my mother is planning to change mine, this is because it's named after a Hindu goddess, the Shakti (power) of Lord Vishnu, and if you look at the story of this goddess, you'll realise that she had to deal with all sorts of demons and funny (or maybe not) how my mother thinks that the name will/does have a similar influence on me and she's all the more suspicious because I've had a few near death experiences in the past. I don't really know how true it is though.

In all honesty I wouldn't believe any bit of this a year ago but now I believe myself to be completely ignorant, so yea..

But your name does have an influence, for instance, the majority can't spell or pronounce mine accurately -_-

22 minutes ago, Vaishnavi said:

I don't know about other traditions but in the Indian culture they give quite a lot of importance to your name and I know this because my mother is planning to change mine, this is because it's named after a Hindu goddess, the Shakti (power) of Lord Vishnu, and if you look at the story of this goddess, you'll realise that she had to deal with all sorts of demons and funny (or maybe not) how my mother thinks that the name will/does have a similar influence on me and she's all the more suspicious because I've had a few near death experiences in the past. I don't really know how true it is though.

In all honesty I wouldn't believe any bit of this a year ago but now I believe myself to be completely ignorant, so yea..

But your name does have an influence, for instance, the majority can't spell or pronounce mine accurately -_-

Old folks in kerala used to sing If its a boy dont name him Rama and if its a girl dont name her Sita