Thought Art

Is there a point I need to surrender to mediocrity?

81 posts in this topic

What's the problem with being an employee? Who sets the boundaries of “mediocrity”?

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

6 hours ago, Thought Art said:

I think I just need to find a way to drastically increase my income and to hell with everything else.  Money is all that matters short term/mid term. 

No more thinking about being an artist, no more thinking about spirituality, no more Qigong as a business I just can wrap my head around that working out at all. 

I need to go into a field like cybersecurity and focus on finding ways of just earning more money. 

Yes, money is an essential part of life, but when you enter a field like cyber security and be there for sometime, you might even start liking your new life. Don't forget to take care of your health though. If you do that, you can work even till 35 to 40 and still enjoy a life of your choice and passion after you get the money you wish.  You still got 30 to 40 more years and it's a very long time than you think.

Thoughts are the only thing that can disturb the balance of life, so either find ways to get rid of thoughts like mediocrity or fulfill the demands of those thoughts by creating a solid plan.

It’s funny I had been thinking about cyber security career for past few months. 

Then, at an open mic last night I was chatting to a guy who happened to be a cybersecurity manager here in my city. He mentioned once I had a certificate or two to reach out to him and he’d help me find/ get a job.That was lucky.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@CARDOZZO who is that?

◭"89"

@Thought Art

If you want to enter cybersecurity, just see this hacker tv show.

Amazing show that talks about hacking, politics, psychology, technology.

4 minutes ago, CARDOZZO said:

@Thought Art

If you want to enter cybersecurity, just see this hacker tv show.

Amazing show that talks about hacking, politics, psychology, technology.

Yep, has been in my watchlist for years, but still haven't watched it. I have a habit of keeping the best for the last.

14 hours ago, Thought Art said:

I’ve been working on crafting a personal mission statement inspired by reading “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”. I thought I’d share it here too. 

I’ll be refining it as I growth and mature until I have a solid foundational document. 

My Personal Mission Statement.pdf

Is too much.

I tried this approach and doesn't work (at least for me)

Do you believe you can internalize all this?

I looks like this one on the left:

Unknown.png

If you get stuck you can try this approach:

-Pick 3-4 big rocks like Steven Covey said. (ex: career, spirituality, relationships & health)

-Of those, pick ONE in which you are going full out for the next month/season.

-Put the other 2-3 in maintenance mode.

-Just write a couple of statements for each rock, no more.

Strip away all the fluff until you get one or two powerful statements. The less the better.

Good luck!

@koops Thanks I’m still working through the chapter. First time writing it out loosely based on his examples. 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

@koops Okay I reviewed his chapter and examples and his are broad as well. I will try out my mission statement as it is for now and continue to make changes to it over time. For me this addresses the things in my life as a whole. A lot of the things are done simply by their interaction with those areas in my life. 

I don't see where Steven says that in the chapter that you shared. 

My mission statement is a draft. It'll need to be honed and clarified. 

It’s not meant to be a life purpose statement which would be more focused.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

2 hours ago, Thought Art said:

@koops Okay I reviewed his chapter and examples and his are broad as well. I will try out my mission statement as it is for now and continue to make changes to it over time. For me this addresses the things in my life as a whole. A lot of the things are done simply by their interaction with those areas in my life. 

I don't see where Steven says that in the chapter that you shared. 

My mission statement is a draft. It'll need to be honed and clarified. 

It’s not meant to be a life purpose statement which would be more focused.

I was referring more to the Big Rocks vs Small Rocks analogy. I was warning about having too many rocks.

Yes, the examples are broad, but be careful. Maybe that doesn't work for everbody.

If found the key here is coming back to this principles/mission statements and work on them every week, as a dynamic thing.

Good luck!

I have begun the Google Cybersecurity Certification. So far, I’m enjoying it. 

◭"89"

I want to see looking back 5 years from now that I've had 5 years a solid decision making, execution and results.

◭"89"

Huge respect for being vulnerable like that in front of us. Ngl, I almost cried reading your post...

I can't give no concrete advice since I'm years younger than You. But just have faith man, You can do it. If what You pursue is aligned with your highest intuition then miracles will literally pave the way for You. Nothing is impossible if You really want it. Thing is, what do You really want? You could be resisting just that.

Godspeed! Make it count. It's all gonna be good.

@Sincerity Thanks. It’s my life at the end of the day. It’s been very challenging to say the least. Having all this feeling of ambition but just being weighed down is demoralizing. But, if maturity and mastery pay the dividends I suspect they will as I work through all my setbacks and shortcomings I can become a man people look up to. It’s gonna take time. But, I believe in myself. 

I don’t know what’s possible. But, at the very least fixing my finances and basic career/ income is definitely fixable. 

I feel a bit vulnerable. However, I know others here struggle too and by having this conversation I think it will help others as well. I am who I am and I am where I am. I’ve shared a lot here about my feelings of helplessness and depression from this debt I have. But, I’ve grown stronger because of it and it’s maturing me deeply. I am strong, patient and will persist until I succeed.

I am deeply ambitious. I have though been immature, and full of cognitive and character flaws. But, each of my mistakes in my 20s (of which there have been so so soooo many… but at least I have experience). 

I will keep practicing Qigong as my main spiritual/ physical/ mind body practice and posting free videos each week. People seem to really enjoy them and watch them regularly. I also enjoy making them. I have about 423 subscribers and get about 200 views every 48 hrs which is pretty cool. I’ll build my mastery of Qigong slowly and maturely. I will also teach locally at community and fitness centres for side cash and the joy of teaching.

It’s easy to forget that people get a lot of value from my Qigong videos because it doesn’t earn my money yet. I have no online products, or subscriptions yet… but, I plan to in a few years time as I grow the brand slowly. I need patience and to remember that I’ve only been teaching for a couple years. Patience. I have a vision for this.

Music? I think if I could do anything I would do this. But, I just don’t believe it’s possible… at least right now it’s worth letting go. 

Cybersecurity, I am really enjoying the google certificate so far and could really enjoy a career in it. It also pays very well which is of main concern for me. I’m exciting to learn Python and SQL as well. 

In the end… I have to meet life on its terms. My life will be enriched by growing and overcoming this current chapter in my life with all its challenges. I will continue to see myself grow in maturity, financial health, employable skill, mental health, and spiritual growth. These are worthwhile projects which will bring a lot of joy, and sustained value to my life.

I struggled a lot with immaturity, desperation and mental health issues, such as anxiety, impulsiveness, wishful thinking, depression and marijuana addiction throughout my 20s. These things have held me back. It was also hard to navigate because I was exposing myself to so many spiritual/ epistemological schools. But, after having done this I feel very grounded. 

But, despite my setbacks and failures I’ve continued to invest in my education, learning, self reflection and self correction. I will overcome this challenge. My bookshelf overflows with books, I have lots of resources at my disposal, I have time to get into a rewarding high paying career like cyber security. 

I don’t know yet, how I provide massive value to escape wage slavery. My path will be my own and I won’t compare myself to anyone else. 

I share my journey here because, I want to face the truth of where I am. I’m not gonna pretend I’m something I’m not.  

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

My trauma from growing up in a home with alcoholism and mental health issues in my parents I think set me back years as an adult. I’m also not neurotypical and working to mature into my brain is a thing.

My parents are not educated.

In life you have to work with the cards you are dealt.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"