Leo Gura

Leo's Geography Challenge - Mega-Thread

140 posts in this topic

Canary Islands. :P 

Edited by UnbornTao

1 hour ago, Hiluy said:

Hello, everyone! I've just landed in this forum. Excited about the challenge. Already got a hefty "watch later" list from Leo's blog, and I'll be sharing anything noteworthy beyond what's posted here. Glad to be in between so many open minds :) 

Welcome to the forum! Hope you learn a lot from it.

Edited by UnbornTao

@Leo Gura have you decided a more specific order or any logic to how you plan to proceed, on top of the least known to most known? Like categorizing all the countries by a factor, such as wealth, development, climate or whatever, or just go along as you discover good documentaries?

Edited by Snader

@Leo Gura Why not actually travel?

I recommend going to Suriname, I went there last winter. It's a diverse, severely underdeveloped, and obscure country (certainly from the American POV) but it's also very small population-wise so you can get quickly a good feel for how the society and economy are structured. The Nature there is stunning and as wild as it gets. I would say Stage Red is very prominent there but still relatively safe because of its small size and open friendly people. But if you're a woman, simply walking the streets there is out of the question. 

Edited by Vrubel

Genuinely a great idea! I always wanted to see the world and travel, but my financial situation makes that difficult to do. I'll do the challenge and actually add a personal twist, which is to create a bucket list of the most interesting countries I want to visit and experience directly for myself. I dream of journaling my experience in video, music (creating songs using local sounds and techniques) and a bunch of amazing cultural memorabilia.

beep boop

Don't like the challenge. :( 

Looking at a map is not the same

as walking the territory. 

You can't smell a rose

through someone else's nose. 

No matter how many stories you hear

It all falls short of being here

I didn't think you were this broke, 

so I offer you my couch, no joke. 

:) 

Pretty cool idea. I created a Notion Doc (work in progress) that I'll use to keep track of everything. It would also be cool to create some sort of world map with SVGs that could be colored in when you check one off the list. 

Feel free to duplicate the template or leave comments for improvements. https://pickled-axolotl-08e.notion.site/Leo-s-Geography-Challenge-ea37ff23b6b349c5beac9ef0277b6ae1?pvs=4 

I'd like to get a "meta view" for each entry that would contain the best information for understanding without diving into the minutia.

Still working on the structure but contemplating these for each entry:

Size, major exports, population, prevalent lifestyles, geographical features, political system, level of corruption, general population's social development. Human Development Index (HDI): This index, developed by the United Nations, measures average achievement in key dimensions of human development. Primary languages, religion, way of life, drug use, wealth disparity, common types of housing, healthcare system, modes of transportation, cultural values, attitudes toward outsiders, access to technology, timeline of significant events.

Cultural Synopsis: A brief note on key cultural elements (e.g., predominant music, art forms, traditions).

Historical Snapshot: A quick overview of the country's historical background.

International Alliances: Membership in major international organizations (e.g., UN, EU, NATO).

Current Issues: Brief mention of any major contemporary challenges or conflicts.

Spiral Dynamics Level: If applicable and information is available, indicate the predominant level of consciousness/development according to Spiral Dynamics.

Unique Fact(s): One or two interesting or unique facts about the country.

What are the key events in the country's history that have shaped its current identity?

How does the country's geography influence its culture, economy, and politics?

What are the major ethnic groups and languages, and how do they interact?

What are the predominant religious beliefs, and how do they impact society?

What are some of the country's most important cultural traditions and festivals?

How has the country's cuisine been influenced by its history and geography?

What forms of art, music, and literature are most popular or historically significant?

How is the educational system structured, and what values does it emphasize?

What are the country's main economic sectors, and what role do they play in the global economy?

How does the country approach environmental issues and sustainability?

What is the political system, and how has it evolved over time?

What are the major social issues currently facing the country?

How does the country view and interact with its neighbors and the international community?

What are some common stereotypes about the country and its people, and how accurate are they?

How do urban and rural areas differ in terms of lifestyle and opportunities?

What are the country's most significant contributions to the world (in science, technology, arts, etc.)?

How do national holidays and celebrations reflect the country's values and history?

What are the experiences and perspectives of minority groups within the country?

How has the country been portrayed in international media, and how does this compare to local perspectives?

What are the hopes and challenges for the country's future as expressed by its citizens?

Daily Routines: What does a typical day look like for people in urban and rural areas?

Social Norms and Etiquette: What are the key social norms, manners, and etiquette practices?

Family Structure and Roles: What is the typical family structure, and what roles do family members play?

Community Involvement: How involved are individuals in their local communities, and in what ways?

Environmental Interaction: How do people interact with and relate to their natural environment?+

Economic Activities: What are the common occupations, and how do economic activities shape daily life?

Technology Usage: How is technology integrated into daily life, and what is its impact on social interactions?

Might be a bit much but it's something to work with

OKnRQWW.png

Edited by Joshe

13 hours ago, Understander said:

I haven't watched any documentaries, so I'm going to start from my country.

I'm part Armenian! Hope to visit one day. Looks beautiful. 

P.S. if your there now be save, the conflict with Azerbaijan sounds awfully hairy.

Been there before. Have a friend who says –40ºF winters are normal. IMAGINE!

This is modern Mongolia. Imagine being Chinghis Khan, in 1200A.D., unifying tribes across the steppe to build a trans-continental empire. Ridiculous.