Leo Gura

Leo's Geography Challenge - Mega-Thread

140 posts in this topic

Guys check out guyana, very high suicide rates. 

"The wise seek wisdom, a fool has found it."

This is really an interesting way to spend time in YouTube. I was doing a similar kind of thing earlier. But, instead of watching documentaries, I used to choose a random country and look at different vlogs created by random tourists of locals for that country. That provided a good virtual traveling experience. I think watching documentaries would provide an in-depth look into the cultures of the vast wide world that we haven't explored even one percent.

If you have trouble choosing the countries, here is a random country generator:

https://pickerwheel.com/tools/random-country-generator/

I would personally prefer a visit to a different continent each week to add diversification to our views.

I would like to thank @Leo Gura for this challenge. It has really changed my understanding of the world. I've travelled many countries and lived in a few but I have realized I was totally in a cultural bubble, bubbles within bubbles I should say, how deep society and culture goes! It's also great to be exposed to so much diversity

This is a cool idea, Leo. I love geography!  Just got the scratch-off map and ready to get started! I spun the random country generator wheel that @An young being recommended and it landed on Tuvalu. I'm off to a sad start. Tuvalu is expected to be the first country to go extinct due to sea level rise. :(

@ark0143 Nice! Never even heard of Tuvalu.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

A bit long for my taste but it gives a high quality big picture of Saudi Arabia

How's the documentary-watching regimen going everyone? Still on the track?

Posted (edited)

Sorry if I posted it elsewhere already. But I feel this is very good.

a Soviet Movie. But it's so real. I grew up in Germany and when the Germans invade that village and say "Germany is a country of a high culture. A country of high culture uses all kinds of dental Hygiene. Don't bring fruits and vegetables to Europe to evate infections" really hits hard as this is quite spot on the "German" attitude and then massacring all this village. Such a real depiction of mass psicosis. 

The problem I've found, there are not a lot of documentaries about "bad" stuff in "good" countries and "good" stuff in "bad" countries, so I'll try watching specifically the opposite information to get a broader view. Today EVERY country has good and bad stuff and the most important thing is finding out those missing pieces and not another circlejerk. And the best thing one can do, is go to those places. When I went to Moscow Airport and you drive to the city in the suburbans and you see this sign saying "the Germans reached here" it is very telling for the Russian and all the countries Mindset of the ex Soviet Union as you know, until this point, everything was filled with genocide and absolute hate and psicosis. Also the Germans have a big trauma from WWII even though it's very different, as they have a lot of difficulties to express themselves in a sense that, how to liberate myself from that horrific story?

Edited by UnlovingGod

Posted (edited)

On 4/1/2024 at 7:50 AM, Navaneet said:

How's the documentary-watching regimen going everyone? Still on the track?

Truly life transforming

I was surprised by Georgia:

Edited by Davino

at 5100m above sea level this is the highest human settlement in the world.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I have joined the Challenge!

Order Placed.jpg

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

5 minutes ago, ZenSwift said:

I have joined the Challenge!

Order Placed.jpg

This is what I imagine the delivery to be like:

—-

I started watching Looney Tunes Cartoons (2020). As someone who was born in the 90s, this is a perfect introduction to Looney Tunes. Watching an entire season is practically a documentary for dummies like me!

If I had to place Looney Tunes on a map, it would probably be in Texas:

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Lakshadweep Islands India. Never even heard of this place! 🤯