SpectrumDT

What are the implications of Leo's claims about God?

23 posts in this topic

In his video "What Is God? - Part 1 - A No Bullshit Explanation For Smart People", Leo talks about his mystical experiences and claims to have experienced "God" and to have "verified" that God is equal to everything, nothing, death, immortality, infinity and other things.

While watching the video I repeatedly asked myself whether I believed Leo's claims, and I kept coming to the conclusion that I don't understand what Leo is saying, and furthermore it is not clear to me whether he is saying anything at all.

Now, I fully believe that a human can experience euphoric states of mind wherein one gets the feeling that you've grasped some great metaphysical insight. And Leo's advice on how to reach such states of mind are valuable. But the metaphysical claims themselves don't seem to have any ramifications, and therefore they seem to be in a sense non-statements that don't actually mean anything.

Near the end of the video Leo says something like "I have been very careful to verify that these insights are true and not a delusion". I don't understand what this means. I cannot figure out what the pragmatic implications of these "insights" are. If these insights have no pragmatic implications, does it even make sense to ask whether the insights are true or false?

Thanks!

Edited by SpectrumDT

the takeaway is simple

whatever another human says don't believe a word, sit on your rear and do the same work

you either trust he is on to something (and not just on something) or you say thanks but i am good thanks

the journey is to move from trust to truth

just gotta decide who to trust

Everything Leo says is true, and in fact it even goes much much much deeper than that, really. God is infinite depth, it is the experience of "wow" itself, in a sense. 

But, that being said, you are where you are, and i am where i am, and we are on this relative level of being, let's better accept that, really. 

Be where you are, accept where you are, and trust that God will guide you, step by step, to the degree that is relevant and possible for you, into the depths of being. No rush, just raise your awareness bit by bit. 

34 minutes ago, gettoefl said:

the journey is to move from trust to truth

Trust is the raft, truth is the 'other side.' At some point, perhaps, trust becomes moot, doesn't matter anymore?  

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ... 

26 minutes ago, rachMiel said:

Trust is the raft, truth is the 'other side.' At some point, perhaps, trust becomes moot, doesn't matter anymore?  

yep when you touch the shore no need to bring the raft any further, it is baggage and you see there are many rafts that lead to the same spot so not just yours works for another person

Seeing God is like realizing you are another being looking through a microscope out your eyes right now pretending to be you . You cannot go into too much detail without sounding absolutely insane. And if you do a bunch of spiritual work you can see that no one is actually telling you anything about god because they cannot. Its like you stop using your thought and your conciousness start to do some crazy shit

Edited by Hojo

5 hours ago, SpectrumDT said:

And Leo's advice on how to _reach_ such states of mind are valuable. But the metaphysical claims themselves don't seem to have any _ramifications_, and therefore they seem to be in a sense _non-statements that don't actually mean anything_.

Exactly, it's better to forget any idea that tries to define or describe reality. 

13 hours ago, Hojo said:

Seeing God is like realizing you are another being looking through a microscope out your eyes right now pretending to be you . You cannot go into too much detail without sounding absolutely insane. And if you do a bunch of spiritual work you can see that no one is actually telling you anything about god because they cannot. Its like you stop using your thought and your conciousness start to do some crazy shit

What, then, is the difference between "true insights about God" and "delusions"?

2 hours ago, SpectrumDT said:

What, then, is the difference between "true insights about God" and "delusions"?

insights come from you, delusions come from me, don't listen to me, my words helped me, your mileage will likely be different

On 11/7/2023 at 9:34 AM, SpectrumDT said:

In his video "What Is God? - Part 1 - A No Bullshit Explanation For Smart People", Leo talks about his mystical experiences and claims to have experienced "God" and to have "verified" that God is equal to everything, nothing, death, immortality, infinity and other things.

While watching the video I repeatedly asked myself whether I believed Leo's claims, and I kept coming to the conclusion that I don't understand what Leo is saying, and furthermore it is not clear to me whether he is saying anything at all.

Now, I fully believe that a human can experience euphoric states of mind wherein one gets the feeling that you've grasped some great metaphysical insight. And Leo's advice on how to reach such states of mind are valuable. But the metaphysical claims themselves don't seem to have any ramifications, and therefore they seem to be in a sense non-statements that don't actually mean anything.

Near the end of the video Leo says something like "I have been very careful to verify that these insights are true and not a delusion". I don't understand what this means. I cannot figure out what the pragmatic implications of these "insights" are. If these insights have no pragmatic implications, does it even make sense to ask whether the insights are true or false?

Thanks!

The Implications are Infinite. Whatever it is you can imagine; the answer is Yes, It Is!

Have fun!! :D

Edited by tuku747

5 hours ago, SpectrumDT said:

Many people clinging to science believe that most experiences termed mystic by spiritual people are delusions. Many people clinging to spirituality believe that most scientists are deluded because of their logical thinking. Some people clinging to awakening believe that everyone else other than them are deluded. The ones who don't cling to anything don't care about delusions at all and experience their life, no matter what the experience is.

@SpectrumDT The claim is that you can become conscious that God exists and what God is.

Whether this is practical or not for you is besides the point.

It's like I'm making the claim that bigfoot lives in the forest and you can find him. And your reply is, "But is there any practical benefit for me to find this bigfoot?"

Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. But the fact remains that bigfoot can be found in the forest, if you want. If you don't want, then don't look for him.

Explaining the practical implications of God to an unawakened person is very difficult, and frankly, an insulting thing to ask for. If you were too reduce God to its practical implications then you would miss best parts of God. God is such a profound thing that it transcends the practical domain.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@SpectrumDT the only true insight is god is real. what it is is the deception and delusion, you cant think about what it is it is literally impossible you have to do be it.

Edited by Hojo

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@SpectrumDT The claim is that you can become conscious that God exists and what God is.

Whether this is practical or not for you is besides the point.

It's like I'm making the claim that bigfoot lives in the forest and you can find him. And your reply is, "But is there any practical benefit for me to find this bigfoot?"

Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. But the fact remains that bigfoot can be found in the forest, if you want. If you don't want, then don't look for him.

Explaining the practical implications of God to an unawakened person is very difficult, and frankly, an insulting thing to ask for. If you were too reduce God to its practical implications then you would miss best parts of God. God is such a profound thing that it transcends the practical domain.

LOL I'm glad you noticed he was really asking about how does this benefit me? LOL. It's pretty interesting as that is the main question an ego asks. It's like so what if God exists? If that doesn't benefit me why should I care? But the more interesting part about it.....is if you didn't care...you wouldn't be here. Cognitive Dissonance. You do care,....you just are having second thoughts.....and are trying to rationalize why you decided to come here and seek answers. 

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

1 hour ago, Razard86 said:

LOL I'm glad you noticed he was really asking about how does this benefit me?

He's not saying that, he's saying that he's seen a video of Leo and isn't sure if it's all b.s. He says that he is sure that it is possible to access mystical states and that Leo's advice is valuable for that, but that his description of God is the same as nothing. That shows that he is an intelligent guy, not a believer. The answer would be: don't believe anything, check everything for yourself.

3 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

He's not saying that, he's saying that he's seen a video of Leo and isn't sure if it's all b.s. He says that he is sure that it is possible to access mystical states and that Leo's advice is valuable for that, but that his description of God is the same as nothing. That shows that he is an intelligent guy, not a believer. The answer would be: don't believe anything, check everything for yourself.

On 11/7/2023 at 10:34 AM, SpectrumDT said:

Thanks!

I bolded the parts so you can see. Anytime someone asks you what are the pragmatic implications....they are asking you how does this impact my survival. Meaning and survival are one and the same. So yes, he is asking how does this benefit/impact/influence my life at all? 

Another way of saying...is are there any point to these questions at all? There is always subtlety in communication. 

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

I used to have a very anal, scientific and pragmatic view of things. Even with my spiritual beliefs I still wanted everything to conform to my evidence -based worldview. I wasn’t interested in experiencing things directly. 

I think what changed is, as I did more psychedelics, I developed a sense of knowing that didn’t come from my intellect, and now I’m ( a little bit) less pragmatic and limited in my thinking.

this has practical applications too. like in talking to girls ;)

Edited by Oppositionless

2 hours ago, Oppositionless said:

Even with my spiritual beliefs I still wanted everything to conform to my evidence -based worldview. I wasn’t interested in experiencing things directly. 

Like sex in a lab coat with nitrile gloves on. xD 

This reminded me of a song.

Edited by Girzo

When I think about the pragmatism of realizing that your God, I think about this. God is the only thing that exists. If you want to change anything in reality and anything about yourself, you have to have your awareness correctly placed on something that exists. What better way than to raise your awareness to the point that you fully understand what the hell everything is and what is actually going on. When you have the truth, you can actually work with it. Realizing God is just realizing what actually exists and that simultaneously blasts away what doesn't exist. This is very helpful when you actually want to do things in reality.

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

5 hours ago, Razard86 said:

I bolded the parts so you can see. Anytime someone asks you what are the pragmatic implications....they are asking you how does this impact my survival. Meaning and survival are one and the same. So yes, he is asking how does this benefit/impact/influence my life at all? 

Another way of saying...is are there any point to these questions at all? There is always subtlety in communication. 

For me, what the guy is asking is: if those statements are something that you know rationally, but that they mean nothing more on a real level than something that you know, it is the same as not knowing them, since knowing means absolutely nothing.

Let's see what he says