DefinitelyNotARobot

Can intelligence be comprehended?

24 posts in this topic

It seems impossible to comprehend intelligence, as comprehension itself is a function of intelligence.

So is there a thing such as infinite comprehension? Can this capital "I" Intelligence ever truly grasp itself, for it is infinite in intelligence, or is the infinitude of intelligence what keeps it from being able to comprehend itself?

Neither option feels complete, so I ask you for input.

beep boop

if something is infinite, what can it not do..?

Nothing! infinite intelligence means that it has the intelligence to comprehend itself. Bottom line. There's no limits on its ability to comprehend itself!

Think. About. It!      Realise what your stating, then realise what your asking!  Of course it can! otherwise its not infinite!

21 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

or is the infinitude of intelligence what keeps it from being able to comprehend itself

No. The infinitude of intelligence is exactly why it can comprehend itself. The second intelligence increases, so does the capacity to understand what has just increased!

@Francis777 the second intelligence?

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

@Francis777 When we say that something is infinite we're obviously saying that it has no limitations. So in a sense you could say that this intelligence was unlimited in it's capacity for comprehension, but in another sense you could say that there can't be any way to limit intelligence into comprehension. It really depends on how comprehension is defined. Is comprehension some fundamental aspect of reality itself, in that reality is being fully known by itself at the core, or is comprehension some emergent phenomena, a mere branch on the tree of intelligence?

beep boop

It's worth it to push your comprehension to see how high it can go. You will be surprised, even if you don't reach some total ideal. Or maybe you will. After all, what kind of God would be too weak to comprehend itself?

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

6 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

@Francis777 the second intelligence?

sorry, I meant the moment intelligence increases. The second, i.e. every time it increases

Aha!

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

22 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

When we say that something is infinite we're obviously saying that it has no limitations. So in a sense you could say that this intelligence was unlimited in it's capacity for comprehension

yes exactly this

Edit: you could also say that comprehension is a facet of intelligence which allows it to know itself. So since its a facet of intelligence, the moment that intelligence increases, So does its ability to know itself. To comprehend itself, because they are inseparable being that it is a facet of it.

Edited by Francis777

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It's worth it to push your comprehension to see how high it can go. You will be surprised, even if you don't reach some total ideal. Or may you will.

are you done teaching us concepts Leo? you know that encouraging direct realisation is the only thing that's going to help us now. I suppose that's what you've always done but you get my point.

@Francis777 Your realizations are gonna be pitiful if you don't learn to properly use your mind to deconstruct all sorts of ideas.

This is why no amount of simple meditation is enough to reach the highest levels of consciousness. You cannot meditate your way out of illusion and self-deception.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Honestly Leo I've really noticed that man, meditation is really good to calm the mind and improve focus. It doesn't build conceptual understanding of the way that reality works, which is really the bread and butter of philosophy. I noticed that if I want to unravel the ideas of mankind that have been constructed, I really have to sit down with a pen and paper to write it out. Because if I don't everything just feels like this ethereal swirl of information. I definitely agree with that man, writing it down on the paper and contemplating through deconstructing those ideas is the gateway through understanding of reality. Thanks for the insight Leo, it will really go a long way. 

"Reality is a Love Simulator"-Leo Gura

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

It seems impossible to comprehend intelligence, as comprehension itself is a function of intelligence.

So is there a thing such as infinite comprehension? Can this capital "I" Intelligence ever truly grasp itself, for it is infinite in intelligence, or is the infinitude of intelligence what keeps it from being able to comprehend itself?

You cannot reach out and grasp yourself because you ARE yourself,  it is this realization and shift that will be enlightenment and Omniscience.

You can have complete understanding of yourself as reality.  This is the ultimate prize in life.  Understanding the nature of reality.

That is, if you care about such things.  

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

18 minutes ago, BuddhistLover said:

I noticed that if I want to unravel the ideas of mankind that have been constructed, I really have to sit down with a pen and paper to write it out. Because if I don't everything just feels like this ethereal swirl of information. I definitely agree with that man, writing it down on the paper and contemplating through deconstructing those ideas is the gateway through understanding of reality.

Trippy, some other user on here was talking about that recently. 

Edited by Yimpa

This is really cool. I wasn't sure which thread to post it in but it's related to this topic. I particularly like one of the comments...

"My extensive meditation practice has also made me realize this in my own experience. But lately I've had some new insights into the nature of consciousness and its even more baffling. When you descend the layers of perception, removing more and more filters, at some point perception ceases to exist and its all just vibrations and pulses, all the senses start collapsing into the same kind of vibrations and the whole universe is just vibrating into existence along with consciousness. In fact one could say that the universe is made out of consciousness. Not sure what to make of this, I guess its a thing now.

Let me illustrate my point using this very sentence you're reading: Notice the screen these words are appearing on, the shape and color of the letters. Notice how you are aware of these shapes and colors. Notice the voice in your head, that appears as you read these words. Maybe also notice the image of yourself reading, as you hear them. Now notice that you are also aware of all of these things. See that you are aware of everything you percieve. Of these shapes and colors, the voice in your mind that is making sounds from the letters. You could say that everything you percieve is infused with awareness. But what is awareness? Start focusing on the shared quality of all these perceptions, this awakeness. What is it made of? Do not think about it, just look, feel. Do not focus on the content of experience, focus on the experience of awakeness."

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

Sure, you can have a working definition of intelligence. Afterall, usefulness is the best measure of intelligence.

You start by having a good definition and you sort difference and lack of difference. 

First you perceive, then your ability to differentiate helps you sort important from unimportant facts.  The realization of important facts give you a better understanding of both your ability to perceive and differentiate further. 

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

18 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Your realizations are gonna be pitiful if you don't learn to properly use your mind to deconstruct all sorts of ideas.

Yeah, Everything has to be broken down into models so you can integrate it into your life.

And to make sense of your realisations 

Edited by Francis777

@Francis777 a profound realization into the nature of models will also help. That’ll really change the course of your life.

Not merely as a concept, of course.

-

While the enlightened hang up models as falsehood, you have the opportunity to turn models into MODELS.

Edited by Yimpa

22 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

seems impossible to comprehend intelligence, as comprehension itself is a function of intelligence.

Seem that intelligence is the same as reality. the flow of reality is pure intelligence. Intelligence is absolute and limitless, it has no opposite, because the fact of existing rules out non-existence, that is, intelligence rules out the lack of intelligence.

Edited by Breakingthewall

If you enjoy eating nothing and having romantic relationships with thin air, then by all means do it.

I just don’t find that intelligent at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I don't think so, there's really unusual unrecognizable things in existence. I don't like encountering most of them, they're too confusing and weird.

Before, I put a voice recorder on and at the peak of a moderate DMT experience, I tried really hard to describe whatever it was that was present, which resulted in lots of "it's...... uhm... it's like uhm... It's just really...... Uhm..." I'm particularly good at communicating what altered states are like, but some things like that I just become frustrated.