Bazooka Jesus

Travelling through India for three months ॐ

159 posts in this topic

Wow so many people are interested in visiting India
I am from India 
Let me know if you ever need any recommendations! 
You can find me on insta - pragya_sachdeva

Namaste folks, day two of my India adventure is drawing to a close. I slightly twisted my ankle a couple of days ago and my foot is still pretty swollen, so instead of going out I decided to just take it easy tonight, hang out at my hostel and share some more (mild) culture shock anecdotes with you guys.

1. Bucket showers

The place I am staying at is a super basic low budget hostel perfectly suited for penniless travelers such as yours truly; apart from being perfectly situated smack in the heart of the city and being housed in a pretty amazing centuries-old building, it gives you a neat "welcome to India" type of experience. So when I decided to take a shower this morning, I opened the door to the little cleaning area next to the dormitory (which kind of reminds me of one of those makeshift wartime hospitals that you see in WWII movies) only to find a big plastic bucket standing there placed under a water faucet. After a brief "what the fuck?!" moment, I finally regained my composure, stoically resigned to my fate and stepped inside. And I have to say, it's not as bad as it looks at first... I can actually see myself getting used to this (can't say the same about those squat toilets though, ugh!)

2. Omnipresent swastikas

Yeah, that one's a doozie, lol. I mean,  am well aware that the swastika is an ancient symbol of prosperity and has existed long before little Adolf was a glimmer in his old man's eyes; but being German, it's just too weird and funny seeing them displayed everywhere around here. They're gracing walls, paintings, scarves, bracelets, devotional objects... I was actually tempted to buy a little incense lamp with swastika-shaped holes that I saw at a shop in front of a temple today just for giggles, but somehow the idea of carrying this thing in my bag when I arrive at the Berlin airport in three and a half months from now doesn't strike me as the brightest move, lmao.

3. The Indian head wobble

I heard about this characteristic gesture before coming to India and thought I was more or less prepared for it - but it still confuses the heck out of me. Especially in combination with that sly half-smile that people usually put on while doing it, it sort of makes me feel in the moment like they don't take me seriously... but that's probably just my own insecurity coming through, lol. Not to mention that I am never quite sure if it means yes, no, maybe, thank you, f*** off or all of the above. Feel free to enlighten/comfort/encourage me if you're Indian. xD

Okay, that's it for today. Gonna hit the sack now and dream of swastika-adorned squat toilets. Goodnight!

Edited by Bazooka Jesus

Why so serious?

2 hours ago, Mileyofpink said:

Wow so many people are interested in visiting India
I am from India 
Let me know if you ever need any recommendations! 
You can find me on insta - pragya_sachdeva

Thanks, will do! 🙏

Why so serious?

20231203_154424.jpg

Sunbathing cows on the beach of Goa :D

Edited by Bazooka Jesus

Why so serious?

On 01/12/2023 at 0:26 AM, Bazooka Jesus said:

only to find a big plastic bucket standing there placed under a water faucet. After a brief "what the fuck?!" moment, I finally regained my composure, stoically resigned to my fate and stepped inside. And I have to say, it's not as bad as it looks at first... I can actually see myself getting used to this (can't say the same about those squat toilets though, ugh!)

I have used showers only a few times in my life, bathing using a bucket and a mug is the default here. Gives a little exercise for your hands as an added bonus and saves a lot of water.( Hope you didn't step inside the bucket though!) Squat toilets are also the default ones in my life, I find Western toilets a bit uncomfortable when I go to hotels!

Omnipresent swastikas

Yeah, swastikas are a good thing! I don't notice them much in the south though.

Not to mention that I am never quite sure if it means yes, no, maybe, thank you, f*** off or all of the above. Feel free to enlighten/comfort/encourage me if you're Indian. xD

Yeah, it's useless other than animating your head to have some kind of interaction. It's like adding some extra beats to the music. I mostly nod my head sideways when I am agreeing with something!

21 minutes ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

20231203_154424.jpg

Nice click!

23 minutes ago, An young being said:

Squat toilets are also the default ones in my life, I find Western toilets a bit uncomfortable when I go to hotels!

Funny how heavily our upbringing shapes our ideas of what's comfortable / what's disgusting, huh? I guess every culture finds other culture's toilets gross & impractical beyond comprehension, lol! xD

26 minutes ago, An young being said:

Yeah, swastikas are a good thing!.

Yup, leave it to the Germans to take one of the most positive and life-affirming symbols in existence and turn it into a no-go brand. Ugh.

38 minutes ago, An young being said:

Yeah, it's useless other than animating your head to have some kind of interaction. It's like adding some extra beats to the music. I mostly nod my head sideways when I am agreeing with something!

Well, it's extra confusing for a Westener when you ask someone a yes or no question and all you get is that enigmatic wobble... talk about ambiguous, gah! Anyway, I am sure that I'll crack the code eventually. ;)

Why so serious?

5 minutes ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

Funny how heavily our upbringing shapes our ideas of what's comfortable / what's disgusting, huh? I guess every culture finds other culture's toilets gross & impractical beyond comprehension, lol! xD

True words!

6 minutes ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

Well, it's extra confusing for a Westener when you ask someone a yes or no question and all you get is that enigmatic wobble... talk about ambiguous, gah! Anyway, I am sure that I'll crack the code eventually. ;)

Mostly they nod their heads despite not understanding anything you say, lol!

4 hours ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

20231203_154424.jpg

wow is true then that they venerate those animals there 

36 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

wow is true then that they venerate those animals there 

If by venerate you mean that they don't treat 'em like crap, then yes... they certainly don't. They simply let them do their thing and leave them in peace - and when you see it, it makes you think "yeah, why the hell wouldn't they? It's not like these cows are bothering anyone!" In fact, they are the most peaceful animals that you'll ever see in you life, so why not let them hang out on the beach and do some sunbathing, right? B|

Why so serious?

1 minute ago, Ima Freeman said:

Hey @Bazooka Jesus, how is it going?

Looks like you missed the buffalo party…

We ate a bunch of wings and sat around a campfire as @Bazooka Jesus told this story 😅

“Every sunrise is an invitation to brighten the world with your own unique light.“ - ChatGPT

10 hours ago, Ima Freeman said:

Hey @Bazooka Jesus, how is it going?

Oh gosh, I have way too many stories to tell at this point... here, let me give you the reader's digest version:

I got stoned and slept on the beach in Goa, got ambushed by three trans dudes, chased from my seat and smoked pot on a overcrowded night train, went to a Hare Krishna party at a glitzy temple in Bangalore, climbed a hill and saw monkeys in Mysore, stayed at a children's home and saw a dead sea turtle near Pondicherry, spent new year's eve in Auroville and went to a Cacao ceremony / ecstatic dance party there, ate food from the floor of my Indian host's living room in Trichy, went to the biggest South Indian temple in Madurai, had diarrhea, tripped on shrooms and was attacked by bison in Kodaikanal, roamed through the magical fields of Munnar, took a bumpy bus ride through the beautiful hills of Kerala and arrived yesterday to Kochi, completely exhausted but happy. 9_9

9 hours ago, Yimpa said:

We ate a bunch of wings and sat around a campfire as @Bazooka Jesus told this story 😅

'Twas my pleasure, lol.

Edited by Bazooka Jesus

Why so serious?

12 hours ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

I got stoned and slept on the beach in Goa, got ambushed by three trans dudes, chased from my seat and smoked pot on a overcrowded night train, went to a Hare Krishna party at a glitzy temple in Bangalore, climbed a hill and saw monkeys in Mysore, stayed at a children's home and saw a dead sea turtle near Pondicherry, spent new year's eve in Auroville and went to a Cacao ceremony / ecstatic dance party there, ate food from the floor of my Indian host's living room in Trichy, went to the biggest South Indian temple in Madurai, had diarrhea, tripped on shrooms and was attacked by bison in Kodaikanal, roamed through the magical fields of Munnar, took a bumpy bus ride through the beautiful hills of Kerala and arrived yesterday to Kochi, completely exhausted but happy. 9_9

India is not defrauding you I see

What about Auroville, could you explain us more?

Edited by Davino

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless you live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, you should know the requirements of your body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is wild. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ...                         Discipline this life & Realize Absolute Infinity

14 hours ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

Oh gosh, I have way too many stories to tell at this point... here, let me give you the reader's digest version:

Wow, sound like a crazy time down there :D

Are traveling alone or with friends, a guide, ...

15 hours ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

:)

Inspiring 

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

2 hours ago, Davino said:

India is not defrauding you I see

You mean it's not disappointing me? No, it isn't... even though I can definitely see why this place would not be everybody's cup of tea (and there have been days where I've had the feeling that it's not mine either, lol). But no matter if you have good or bad experiences here, it's certainly never boring!

2 hours ago, Davino said:

What about Auroville, could you explain us more?

I haven't spent that much time there, so I don't know how accurate my very superficial impression of the place really is; but I got the feeling that it's basically a big holiday resort / retirement castle for European hippie folks. It wasn't exactly the kind of place that makes me immediately think "wow, I want to move here"... but then again, I only got to see it from a visitor/tourist perspective (in fact, walking from the bus station to the entrance I kind of felt like I was about to enter Disneyland, heh). But who knows what it's like to actually live there... I am afraid that I am simply not qualified to answer that question.

44 minutes ago, Ima Freeman said:

Are traveling alone or with friends, a guide, ...

I am a staunch and passionate solo traveler; doing it in company is just too much of a hassle for me. I mean, when you're travelling together with others, you'll spend the majority of the time having endless discussions about where to go and when to go and what to do and how long to stay and where to eat and bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla... screw that. I like to be spontaneous and free as a bird and able to do whatever I feel like whenever I feel like it; all that discussing and planning and arguing back and forth that group (or even pair) travelling brings with it just kills the vibe for me. Also, in my experience the chances of getting into unexpected adventures with random people you bump into along the way are much higher when you're alone. And for me, that's what travelling is all about! 9_9

Why so serious?

20 minutes ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

but I got the feeling that it's basically a big holiday resort / retirement castle for European hippie folks.

Mmm, this is exactly what my uncle told me when he went many years ago.

21 minutes ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

I am afraid that I am simply not qualified to answer that question.

You curiously picked the exact same words as him, so you surely have a point. I'll have to go there but I'm pretty disappointed about that, maybe Auroville is not the place I though it was. Time will say.

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless you live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, you should know the requirements of your body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is wild. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ...                         Discipline this life & Realize Absolute Infinity