Buck Edwards

What makes a good friend?

18 posts in this topic

Depends how spiritual you want to get about it. but Leo's "Master List of How to Love" has some great pointers. Basically its subjective and a spectrum, a friendship (like any relationship) is as good as each party puts into it; no limit.

@Enlightement I don't think there's any simple answer to what makes a good or bad friend. Unconditional acceptance? May I ask why you are asking?

Edited by jdc7733

I could write a book about this subject. I am thinking of at least 20 things off the top of my head. However, I want to reduce it to simplicity. I work out what I always want to have in a friend and then I do my best to exhibit them.  That way, I can immediately recognize it in others. I want to be a source of inspiration to others. I want to be sincere, with me you know I will not talk behind your back. I only tell people what I would say to your face. I want to be accepting, you don't have to agree with me to be my friend. I will try to be a kind and supportive as possible and I don't ever want to discourage your experiences or your abilities, however I also want you know that I will always try to steer you on the right path. I want you to know that you can tell me anything and I will never tell anybody else and judge you for anything that you may have done or has been done to you. I will keep your secrets; you can trust me.   These I the traits I continually strive to nurture in myself and look for in others. 

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

On 6/12/2023 at 6:17 PM, Enlightement said:

Who is a conscious friend? Who is a good friend? Your opinion? 

You.

One that loves you so deeply and sees you with clear, unadulterated eyes. 

Edited by Yimpa

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Having a deep connection and understanding of each other, mutual trust, enjoy each others company without needing anything from them. always there for you

"You have to allow yourself to not know"- Peter Ralston

28 minutes ago, Enlightement said:

You make a good friend. 

It's very nice, but can be a bit strong for a crazy person you don't even know irl.

?️?️

Even though I'm the smartest and most subtle person in the universe in despite of :)

Edited by Schizophonia

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

8 minutes ago, Enlightement said:

You have a good heart, you probably never noticed it. 

I have both. 

I'm both bad and good, depending on the context and who I interact with.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

@Schizophonia  you are a good person, if you think bad thoughts our do bad things, that isn't you.

Just don't bother explaining that to a judge or cop or boss! ?

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

When every little thing they do makes you blow up in laughter and vice versa. Very deep understanding of each other's humour.

Also someone who has similar struggles and is willing to engage with your own struggles, e.g. by listening to you.

@Enlightement Someone who is willing to also put in the effort into friendship and also is willing to control their ego and not let it get in the way of our relation.

Someone who is willing to admit their fault. (Ego thing)

Someone who is understanding and forgiving.

Those are all characteristics of a good friend and a good sign for long term friendship. 

Someone who can't get over their ego and is overall a negative/pessimistic person is a bad friend.

Edited by somegirl

On 6/12/2023 at 6:20 PM, Sabth said:

Never break up. 

I agree.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI