Jannes

Difference between spirituality and philosophy?

29 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Jannes said:

Spirituality = Actuality/ First order truth/ Direct experience

Philosophy = Conceptualization of Direct experience/ Meta Second order truth?

Good scheme. Yes, the philosophy derived from real realizations can have value and help the mind to open itself to the truth 

But it's important to recognize it as philosophy and not confuse it with the truth

Edited by Breakingthewall

11 minutes ago, Jannes said:

Spirituality = Actuality/ First order truth/ Direct experience

Philosophy = Conceptualization of Direct experience/ Meta Second order truth?

You're trying to get some conceptual answer to this.  Words are words.  You need to go beyond words for what we are telling you.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Breakingthewall  thats philosophy you dont need to be able to talk to do it you just need to be able to think. The philosophers stone is consciousness and when you find it you become immortal. You can easily say

I am going to do spirituality I will sit here till I know what I am

and you can say I will do philosophy I will sit here till I know what I am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neti_neti is philosophy

being a human gives you a special power to grow your soul and do spirituality and philosophy

people go mad but because they skip the 1st chapter of metaphysics

God give us his most chaotic and beautiful machine that can do anything but he threw us into a planet with no instruction manual and you can spawn while the entire system has been hijacked and are fucked from moment 1.

But if you do grow you can pop off to level 99999

Edited by Hojo

Spirituality is applied metaphysics. It has a theoretical and practical side, so it overlaps philosophy. Spirituality is about getting to the core of the deepest questions of philosophy. It takes these questions seriously, goes beyond the mind, and maybe even takes some of the answers back into daily life (embodiment). 

@Jannes

This is again a case where these terms are defined many ways depending who you ask. How I personally see it is that Philosophy is a study of living well and smartly. Spirituality grows individual and teaches necessary human traits you need for good life. I've come to the point where I don't think that awakenings are the point in itself, but how they change you and your life. Remember that you're 24/7 student in a class of beautiful way to live life and you'll always find something useful to add to your toolbox.

Who told you that "others" are real?

They are exactly the same in that they are both the pursuit of what is true but if you told a philosopher they are doing spirituality they'd disagree and if you told a seeker they are doing philosophy they would also disagree.

The seeker will protest that their pursuit is from direct experience though this takes place in the imagination and a philosopher will say their pursuit is from reason yet this also takes place in the imagination.

Both of these people will also claim that their pursuit doesn't rely on belief with one pointing to their experience and the other to their logic but both rely on what they trust is true which is the definition of to believe.

So the difference between spirituality and philosophy is merely the spelling and what one chooses to call their pursuit.

Edited by SOUL

philosophy is god exploring mind

spirituality is mind exploring god

@Jannes

The spiritual journey has two phases, the negative withdrawal from illusion, followed by the positive embrace of truth.

The path to truth begins with the absolute riding the wave of the human mind along the neti neti current, until it breaks upon the other shore. Realizing what it is not is as far as the human mind can take the absolute. It is the surrendering phase of the spiritual journey. Once it has released the illusion of what it is not, the absolute steps onto the other shore, and directly realizes its true nature. It is free to continue exploring the dream, grounded in the absolute reality of itself.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

On 03/06/2023 at 10:34 PM, Jannes said:

I have problems separating these terms. 

Is spirituality a subset of philosophy as philosophy also entails practical things like state philosophy, ethics, science theory .. ?

Spirituality is more fundamental, more real. Philosophy is the subset, sure, you could say.