Theplay

consciousness is a word

42 posts in this topic

Consciousness is not a great word for the same reasons @Breakingthewall describes.

We should never forget (so to speak) that all words are just pissing in the wind. And very obviously so. That said, some words seem like relatively less confused pointers. For example "Being", "this", or "appearance". 

Even "God" is probably a better pointer than "consciousness", but it does have quite a lot of baggage.

"Being" is in fact the very highest order of "understanding" from which all apparent understanding (just noise) is always only reflected, derived or inferred. To be more precise, there is actually no such thing as understanding at all, nor "consciousness of". There is only being. The rest is concocted and grasped for by the self / Self, as it hopelessly tries to become what it already is.

Edited by axiom

Apparently.

I think the best word to describe reality is infinity. infinity implies consciousness, unity, existence, intelligence, power, and god. There can only be one infinity, but at the same time it can be divided, each division being the same infinity. not another equal, but the same. Infinity is nothing and everything same time.  if you contemplate infinity long enough, the ego relaxes. Understanding that everything is infinite is the key

Edited by Breakingthewall

3 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

Yes, but in that garbage that you look at there is consciousness being conscious, intelligence creating an experience, will wanting this to be with all its nuances. I'm just talking about semantics. the word consciousness evokes being aware of something and no more. the word reality, on the other hand, encompasses everything. although if someone can explain it better, I would appreciate it, since in most spiritual literature that word is used, it will be for a reason, maybe 

Well, really awareness is something you are projecting onto consciousness as you imagine you are a biological being. Really, it’s just consciousness. Raw, pure. 

When your metaphysics is rooted in naive realism, external universe, brains etc then… it seems like you have awareness but it’s not. What you see right now is absolute without any processes. That is consciousness. 

Jed McKenna’s theory of everything explains this well. 

Reality is what is the case. What is the case is… consciousness. That’s all there is.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

20 hours ago, Theplay said:

My experience is:

There is direct experience .

There is god.

Consciousness is a word pointing to nothing.

It is not "made" out of nothing or "is" nothing.

Its nothing because its not a part of reality.

Have a peaceful evening.

Daniel.

Consciousness and God can be used to point to the same 'thing' though. ?

18 hours ago, Michael Jackson said:

@Leo Gura 

How would you know this my friend ;)

I don't know wether you already realized this, but what consciousness / God essentially is is pure nothingness. Literally nothing.

If it was nothing it wouldn't exist, nothingness is a better pointer imo.

6 hours ago, WelcometoReality said:

If it was nothing it wouldn't exist, nothingness is a better pointer imo.

@WelcometoReality saying "it exists" is already an assumption. What if reality is ultimately completely empty? What is what you call "existence" is actually nothing? I know it might sound rediculous to some, this has to be realized directly I guess.

5 hours ago, Michael Jackson said:

@WelcometoReality saying "it exists" is already an assumption. What if reality is ultimately completely empty? What is what you call "existence" is actually nothing? I know it might sound rediculous to some, this has to be realized directly I guess.

Yeah, I know where you coming from. I used to call it non-existence myself. However, It was pointed out to me by several people that it wasn't a good word to use because it doesn't make logical sense.

If it was literally nothing you wouldn't be here talking about it because there would be nothing to realize. In other words no realization.

Your realization doesn't sound ridiculous at all. I know what your pointing to but why use a word that might create confusion in others and yourself. ?

13 hours ago, Michael Jackson said:

empty or full is the same. when you say that you experienced nothingness, it means that there was conciousness of nothingness. So, there was "something". nothingness is just another experience, the same as writing now. What is common to everything is the conciousness of what is. without that there is no existence, but the fact is that there is, and since there is, there always was and will be, since its limits would be the non-existence that does not exist. therefore, it has no limits. that is why reality is identified with consciousness. what escapes me is how consciousness creates the content. that is, if it creates, it is not just awareness, it is something else. So the right word would be infinite mind, not conciousness 

Edited by Breakingthewall

On 11.1.2023 at 10:48 AM, Breakingthewall said:

empty or full is the same. when you say that you experienced nothingness, it means that there was conciousness of nothingness. So, there was "something". nothingness is just another experience, the same as writing now. What is common to everything is the conciousness of what is. without that there is no existence, but the fact is that there is, and since there is, there always was and will be, since its limits would be the non-existence that does not exist. therefore, it has no limits. that is why reality is identified with consciousness. what escapes me is how consciousness creates the content. that is, if it creates, it is not just awareness, it is something else. So the right word would be infinite mind, not conciousness 

For me, the consciousness IS the nothingness. Conciousness is literally nothing.

You have to be super vigilant not to just get lost in words, definitions of words, and relationships between words. Words are NEVER the thing they represent. The correct way to use words is to use them as anchors or starting points for self-exploration. 

Don't assume you just "know" what consciousness is. You don't. Consciousness is just a word, not the thing it points to. Your enquiry needs to be done outside the realm of words and knowledge - otherwise you just get lost and confused.

Edited by LastThursday

All stories and explanations are false.

7 hours ago, LastThursday said:

You have to be super vigilant not to just get lost in words, definitions of words, and relationships between words. Words are NEVER the thing they represent. The correct way to use words is to use them as anchors or starting points for self-exploration. 

Don't assume you just "know" what consciousness is. You don't. Consciousness is just a word, not the thing it points to. Your enquiry needs to be done outside the realm of words and knowledge - otherwise you just get lost and confused.

Very true.

On 1/9/2023 at 11:05 PM, Leo Gura said:

@Michael Jackson You don't know what you are talking about. Don't even try to play otherwise.

You both are wrong, "nothingness" and "You are Consciousness" are both the same at the highest level. I made a paint.

Consciousness = nothingness , that is why there is no one in control ever and never will be.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Jowblob

ONLY LEO IS AWAKE

It's not just a word.

If you aren't crystal clear what specifically consciousness is, you aren't Awake.

No other term will do.

CONSCIOUSNESS is all you have.

You can parrot all the equations you want, but that doesn't mean you are conscious of what consciousness is.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

It's not just a word.

If you aren't crystal clear what specifically consciousness is, you aren't Awake.

No other term will do.

CONSCIOUSNESS is all you have.

You can parrot all the equations you want, but that doesn't mean you are conscious of what consciousness is.

Consciousness is the building block of the reality that doesnt really exist, the reality is you, you're creating your reality on the go out of nothing. 

Which came first? The chicken or the egg? Both.  Which came first? Nothingness or consciousness? It's both.  You're just experiencing an illusion of something, behind the scenes there is really nothing. In the world of dualities we think nothing is actually non existence but it doesnt work like that

Edited by Jowblob

ONLY LEO IS AWAKE

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

You can't awake of that because otherwise you would be in control at all times, and its not possible when consciousness=nothingness

ONLY LEO IS AWAKE

Guys don't try to figure it out mentally and get on the cushion. :D 

Edited by UnbornTao

This conversation is an example of why it was realized in the Upanishads that "Words turn back frightened." Some words are better pointers than others, but all are arrows on a crudely drawn map, not the actual territory.

I have seen that some words are unhelpful pointers for people, either because they trigger a negatively conditioned past (e.g., God), or because they are taken literally when they are only symbols pointing to a profound wordless reality.

Consciousness is a great example of the latter. It has a certain meaning in common parlance, related to being awake and aware of your physical surroundings. In the spiritual sense, Consciousness points to an infinitely deeper reality. It is the mind of God, and everything it expresses. When gurus speak of Consciousness, place their words in this deeper context, and perhaps you will realize the true meaning of the message.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

Don't make this into rocket science.

You are conscious right now. That's Consciousness. It's not some outlandish mystical thing.

You have a direct felt sense of consciousness at all times. If you just focus on that you will be as close as possible to Consciousness & God. You don't need any guru to tell you that you are conscious right now. You have a clearer sense of your own consciousness than you do your own asshole.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura there is no asshole ?

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"