Rasheed

Do I have to read 10 Freud books and 10 Jung books?

29 posts in this topic

Do I have to read 10 Freud books and 10 Jung books in order to become a highly developed, great psychologist who can actually help people?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

No. You just have to write one.

Meditation is a lifestyle of developing a calm state of mind WHILE engaging in one’s ambitions!

Counting your breaths, chanting a mantra, and the rest of it is all ratshit and a complete waste of time. What is stopping you from meditating WHILE working on your life purpose?

You don't "have to" do anything. You're free. Consciousness development is unconditional.

Read if you want, it is recommended.

Everyone can help people. A small favor is as appreciated as a big favor.

Greg

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

God no.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

What should I do then? 
I am reading these books by Freud, Jung, Carl Rogers, Friedrich Perls…basically from Ken Wilber’s recommendations…Most of these books are long winded, super impractical. Like mental gymnastics for no good reasons. P.S Sometimes I feel like I might read 100 books by psychologists such as Freud, Jung, Perls, Fromm, Carl Rogers and still not come out more developed than I started. 
Ken Wilber has 15+ books by Freud and Jung in his bibliography, I can’t imagine how he managed to actually read those. 

Edited by Rasheed

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

Psychoanalysis is not the only one. There are many psychotherapy modalities and each rests on a different philosophy and value system. Do the research and choose the one that resonates with you the best.

13 minutes ago, Mz Hyde said:

Psychoanalysis is not the only one. There are many psychotherapy modalities and each rests on a different philosophy and value system. Do the research and choose the one that resonates with you the best.

that is what I am doing actually and that is why I am asking here what to do, I don’t waste countless hours reading these therapy books, and get nowhere in the end because they are so long winded mental gymnastics 

@Rasheed If you are serious about helping people then you need training in coaching or clinical therapy. That is totally different from reading psych theory.

Ken Wilber doesn't help anyone, he is an academic.

Reading books contributes very little to your own development. You gotta do inner and outer work to get development. Ken Wilber isn't developed because he read a bunch of books but because he spent thousands of hours in meditation, contemplation, and just life experience.

Edited by Leo Gura

Just now, Leo Gura said:

@Rasheed If you are serious about helping people then you need training in coaching or clinical therapy. That is totally different from reading psych theory.

Really? I thought reading psych theory was all that is needed to become a great therapist. OMG…

but I care about psych theory as well, like that would help me to write a good psych book in a future…I suppose maybe I am wrong about that as well

6 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

Really? I thought reading psych theory was all that is needed to become a great therapist. OMG…

Lol

You can be a great coach with very little psych theory.

but I care about psych theory as well, like that would help me to write a good psych book in a future…I suppose maybe I am wrong about that as well

Psych theory is icing on the cake.

You will need more theory if you deal with patients with serious mental illness, but for average healthy people not so much.

If you want to practice therapy you will need a university degree.

Coaching you can learn through a much simpler 1-year program.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura My main goal more than therapist if was truly honest is to write a great psych book in a future. So key for that would be more meditation, contemplation than reading books.

I consider Ken Wilber helping people more indirectly than a therapist, I mean he helped me shit ton for example :D 

I am actually studying psychology in University

Edited by Rasheed

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

Lol

You can be a great coach with very little psych theory.

Psych theory is just icing on the cake.

I have got far more transformation, value and success working with my own coach than the initial icf training I took and books I have read.❤️

The bar for entry is very low to get into coaching and getting higher to actually make it and succeed at it.

Ontological coaching is far one of the deepest modalities and being a great  coach demands a lot of inner work.

3 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

I thought reading psych theory was all that is needed to become a great therapist. 

That's part of it. Not all. You're gonna need hands-on experience which is obtained through years of being a professional therapist. Not to discourage you or anything - you've chosen a noble career, in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

I care about psych theory as well

That's good. That is the basis.

10 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

that would help me to write a good psych book in a future

It will. Hard work through time to accomplish skill.

11 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

I suppose maybe I am wrong about that as well

You're not. 

Good luck, 

Greg.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

@Rasheed lool your thread is so cute. 

Throw all books and theory away and get some Life experience:

• Get a girlfriend with borderline issues and live with her in one small room
  • Get in the street and talk with homeless people. Sleep with them on the street too
  • Go experience mentally insanity through some twisted psychedelics. You can learn a lot through experience in real time how it is to be scizophrenic
  • Get addicted and then try to get out of the addiction

Without life experience you will be just an ordinary coach

2 minutes ago, OBEler said:

@Rasheed lool your thread is so cute. 

Throw all books and theory away and get some Life experience:

• Get a girlfriend with borderline issues and live with her in one small room
  • Get in the street and talk with homeless people. Sleep with them on the street too
  • Go experience mentally insanity through some twisted psychedelics. You can learn a lot through experience in real time how it is to be scizophrenic
  • Get addicted and then try to get out of the addiction

Without life experience you will be just an ordinary coach

But what about wanting to write a book, I want to write a great psych book, this thread was not about coaching…

@Rasheed@Rasheed my advice is also for writing a book. 

if you are reading books without practical background you will not really understand whats important in this book and what not. Also you cannot Know if these books write bullshit or not. You will be lost in theory. 

You really need practical experience. Psychedelics are great for this 

Later on after some good practical experience you can read some books about it. You will understand much more

Edited by OBEler

@Rasheed no, not at all. There are far better psychological models out there. I would say if you only read those two you would be a bad psychologist.

Buy a book the shows you the big picture of all the psychologists and types of psychology out there. Their are very simple and easy to read books out there. Use that as a starting point.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

What's most important is to spend years working on yourself.

We don't need more "wounded healers" who only know a bunch of theory. Like so many therapists these days.

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Coaching you can learn through a much simpler 1-year program.

@Leo Gura is there a program you can recommend?

Take a look on Dr Richard Schwards ( Internal Family Systems. And Jonh Vervaeke. 

I think was Leo that recommended in one of his videos that if you want you can read the original  of some writers. I had read Plato Republic, some Freud and Jung books, Seneca, Daniel Kanneman And Nassin Taleb Massive books, but sometimes you can gain good knowledge reading people that did the heavy lift and made summary or syntesis of the big tomos. Energy and Time need to be spread in a balanced way in intelectual, physical and daily live shores otherwise we lost part of life with the head stuck in books.