Yarco

Recommendation: New rule against replying with images / animated GIFs

11 posts in this topic

There's a growing trend of people replying to a message with a single GIF or image and no text, which seems to be gaining in popularity and slowly taking over the forum.

I feel like it brings down the consciousness level of the discussion, and makes the forum as a whole look silly and immature. Maybe I'm just a boomer, but to me, responding with an image shows a lack of respect for the person you're replying to. It comes across as really passive-aggressive. It doesn't add anything to the discussion. It's also really distracting to scroll down a thread and see moving images out of the corner of your eye while trying to read as well. It's worse than ALL CAPS.

MrGirl said that when he removed the ability for people to use emojis and reacts in his Discord, and the quality of conversation went way up and became way less toxic after he did so. So to keep the quality of discussions here as high as possible, I'd recommend the same.

If you agree, please reply with:

jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

9kyg.gif

?

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

What about a video link without any title or description?

8 hours ago, hyruga said:

@Raze is shitting himself reading that ?

19 hours ago, hyruga said:

Look at @Raze’s profile. He does it all the time but he actually provides value, so I think it’s great.

It’d be nice if he could embed the links though. I’m pretty sure this forum does it by default.

Don't wait for things to get better. Take proactive action.

@Yarco

On 07/11/2022 at 1:27 PM, Yarco said:

There's a growing trend of people replying to a message with a single GIF or image and no text, which seems to be gaining in popularity and slowly taking over the forum.

I feel like it brings down the consciousness level of the discussion, and makes the forum as a whole look silly and immature. Maybe I'm just a boomer, but to me, responding with an image shows a lack of respect for the person you're replying to. It comes across as really passive-aggressive. It doesn't add anything to the discussion. It's also really distracting to scroll down a thread and see moving images out of the corner of your eye while trying to read as well. It's worse than ALL CAPS.

MrGirl said that when he removed the ability for people to use emojis and reacts in his Discord, and the quality of conversation went way up and became way less toxic after he did so. So to keep the quality of discussions here as high as possible, I'd recommend the same.

If you agree, please reply with:

jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

I agree, it can get out of hand quickly if you spam images and animated gifs, increasing length of posts unnecessarily.

I know pictures are worth a thousand words, but is it worth sacrificing carefully constructive thousand words?

Shout out to my homies who don't even know how to post GIFs

Be-Do-Have

There is no failure, only feedback