Matt23

Athletics Mega-Thread (...?)

50 posts in this topic

I am inspired to create a thread where people can post videos, photos, quotes, stats, and stories about anything revolving around athletics, using and mastering the body, and showcasing the heights of human athletic achievement, art, and skill.  Everything from your typical sports like basketball, football, and hockey, to things like darts, long-distance running, dance, and even flip-cup.  Basically, anything and everything revolving around people doing inspirational and highly skilled and "crazy" shit kinesthetically; from the most fine-motor skills to teams coordinating together.

Didn't know where to put this; the "Health, Fitness, Supplements" forum seemed not a great fit since it more revolves around health, whereas my vision for this is about more than health and fitness, it's about athletics and appreciating the art and skill of athletics, as well as even using athletics to achieve higher or spiritual and transcendent states.  

Here's some to start it off:

This guy in the video below is INSANE:  (I also find it funny how this video is sponsored by Coors Light lol) 

• He runs up to 7 marathons per week (1 marathon = 26.2 miles)... he likes to do them before breakfast.  
  • Then he likes to do a 10-12 mile run in the afternoon, but at a faster tempo. 
  • ... this is for training.
  • He once ran 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days.
  • Listen to the story, and you can see how a life can change overnight... though, apparently his body is unique in that he doesn't get a built-up, or buffers the built-up significantly, of lactic acid.  Lactic acid is the stuff that, once you do 'x' amount of, say, curls in the gym and you start to feel that burning sensation in your muscles making you want to quit... he doesn't get that.
  • "BE in the now" "Take your next footstep" = tricks he says he's learned.
  • ....Obviously genetically gifted: but also I think has great lessons applicable to everyone.

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

Yaaa... that shit is intense. 

He just kept going...

19 hours ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Sports are boring and dumb. But I like hockey sometimes because of the fights.

You just need to find a sport you like, I knew people who thought like this, then found their 'niche' sport and it become such an important part of their life. 

I think this forum often devalues Physical activity & how it can improve one's life, Sadhguru & Rupert Spira have good videos from a 'Non-Dual' perspective, but a lot of the benefits are just general life improvement.

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

On 24.10.2022 at 10:36 PM, AtheisticNonduality said:

Sports are boring and dumb. But I like hockey sometimes because of the fights.

Ñóőôb

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I will run an iron man 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

? this is love 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 10/25/2022 at 8:56 AM, LfcCharlie4 said:

You just need to find a sport you like, I knew people who thought like this, then found their 'niche' sport and it become such an important part of their life. 

I think this forum often devalues Physical activity & how it can improve one's life, Sadhguru & Rupert Spira have good videos from a 'Non-Dual' perspective, but a lot of the benefits are just general life improvement.

Ya... and it seems like those who don't understand how meaningful and deep sports and any physical art haven't really done them much at higher levels. 

Like, I played basketball all my life and at decently high levels; and I remember one time watching a video of Michael Jordan highlights and literally crying my eyes out.  It was so beautiful and so meaningful to me since basketball was such an important part of my life and I felt so thankful for that.  It does a lot, can do a lot.  

I love this guy

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

Here's a little gem for the consciousness folks lol

Peter Ralston showing off. 

caveat:  I'm no marshal artist so I have no idea if his skills are legit or not.

Also... this is sick AF

On 11/4/2022 at 1:42 AM, Max_V said:

I love this guy

bruh can lift.

@Matt23 he sure can ;) 

I don't know what it is about Olympic Weightlifting, it recently just hooked me. Mesmerizing sport. 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

3 hours ago, Max_V said:

@Matt23 he sure can ;) 

I don't know what it is about Olympic Weightlifting, it recently just hooked me. Mesmerizing sport. 

Nice.

I feel like people will differ in terms of what type of sport or athletic skill they appreciate the most.  Maybe it's to do with seeing what their own particular potential could be, given their specific body-type, neurochemical makeup, etc..  Extrapolating this idea outwardly to other domains, I'm sure it could be true for things like art, intellectual pursuits, and spirituality.  Meaning, if a person has some sort of inherent disposition towards, say, mathematics, they may greatly admire amazing mathematicians since they are both seeing A) the excellence of the mathematician, and B) their own "golden shadow" projected onto the mathematician, which creates a more profound inspiration than it would if the person was watching an amazing scientist to their work or something (not that they wouldn't appreciate what the scientist did, it's just they may not feel as an intense amount of love or appreciation for it as they do the mathematician).  

On 11/6/2022 at 2:11 PM, Jannes said:

09CF0576-A716-42B6-9261-08FEF29E1DF7.jpeg

Great way to study musculature and anatomy.

For some reason this reminds of this lol...

Gavrill+Cow.jpg