Anon212

Spending $2k and Visiting the Isha Foundation?

11 posts in this topic

Recently I have quit my job. I have saved a nice amount of money - over $15,000. I am 22 years old and I am looking around now for new jobs but first I would like to take a few months off to do some soul-searching and spiritual work. I have been going to psychotherapy, healing traumas, doing my kriyas for the last two years, following Leo and so on but I am looking for something a bit more. 

I was thinking of flying out to the Isha Foundation in India to spend some time in the ashram. Flying out from Ireland, this will cost in the region of $2000 and of course that is a major investment. I'm just not sure if this will be worthwhile. My goals is to go and deepen my spiritual practices but I don't want to go over there and engage in spiritual bullshit. I mean I could go to Dubai or Vegas or Thailand and have the adventure of a lifetime. I'm just not sure if it will be worth it. I could also buy a lot of psychedelics for 2k ;).

Has anyone been to the ashram and do you think that it is worth it? Do you guys think it is worth it in general? More specifically would it be worth it to deepen my spiritual understanding and make some progress in terms of my life purpose? Thanks in advance guys ;)

I can't comment on the Isha Foundation specifically from personal experience, but I would generally encourage sabbaticals like this if you have the time and money to support yourself through it.

@Anon212

Just go to vipassana retreat which is free and use that money to buy body massages and healthy food instead and you'll be far better off from that. You could also buy new clothes and treat yourself better and you'd love yourself more. Almost always it's better to go for lot small things than for couple big. You could also do retreats on your own and it would be cheaper. Aim for things which will change the direction of your whole life like starting to do something instead of fast cure.

Who told you that "others" are real?

I haven't been there but what I know about it from others is that it's heavy on volunteer work if you do decide to live there or take up something like Sadhanapada(7 month residential program with no fee). If you're gonna be just visiting then that's all your gonna do, visiting the famous areas, meditate, maybe a talk who knows, but that's about it. I doubt you'll receive any sort of growth that is worth that 2k. But do not take my word for it.

Sadhguru is usually overhyped and I doubt anything amazing would happen in just one visit. Even if you decide to volunteer I think it'll be a good while before you learn anything useful. Yes they teach you practices but do you think you'll really be tested individually and given the most effective practice for your level? I doubt it. And even if that is the case, being taught as part of a mass will always have it's downsides compared to being taught one-on-one, in a smaller group or just doing it yourself. 

Only thing I think is worthwhile would be visiting and meditating in the consecrated areas and see what happens.

Overall however, I think you can spend that 2k in a much better way when it comes to spiritual growth. But this is just my opinion.

I've been there 5 months. For me it was a life changing experience. The practises they teach are super powerful and the space also. Just don't engage in the group think but be open to what they teach and try it fully.  Their programmes are incredible also. Bhava Spandana is a 4 day kundalini yoga retreat that is amazing. Shoonya is an advanced 4 Meditation retreat where you'll learn a powerful pranayama practise ( this practise enabled an awakening into infinite love for me, through this I can now produce the chemistry of love at will within 10-20 minutes, changed my whole life ) also their hatha yoga is very pure and effective. They offer three different types Angamardana (more fitness type) Surya Kriya and Yogasanas. 

Also their temples are amazing Dhyanalinga and Devi temple. They say the Dhyanalinga is the highest energetic form possible in physical form. All I know is when I sat there for meditation it felt like an energy form doing operations on my body. 

Ofcourse there is a lot of group think going on there, but it's defintely a high conscious community that lifts you up. If you're looking for developing discipline, learn pure spiritual practises and you are open for new experiences then I think it's perfect for you. It's also amzing to see so many people living in harmony together, we'll definetly need more of that in the future.

If you have questions let me know. I can also give you some tips on how to approach your stay there to get the most value if you want.

Sounds worth it to me

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Did somebody do bhava spandana from isha? Can you recommend it?

I will probably take this advanced course in germany this december

Edited by OBEler

7 minutes ago, OBEler said:

Did somebody do bhava spandana from isha? Can you recommend it?

I will probably take this advanced course in germany this december

I think Christoph Werner did.

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

On 10/15/2022 at 2:16 PM, Christoph Werner said:

Shoonya is an advanced 4 Meditation retreat where you'll learn a powerful pranayama practise ( this practise enabled an awakening into infinite love for me, through this I can now produce the chemistry of love at will within 10-20 minutes, changed my whole life

Can you teach it?

Not bad if you have nothing going on at the moment. If I was not doing music, I would be interested in Isha hatha yoga teacher training but it's 10 k

go travelling and have fun, you'll learn more.

your 22, you've got all the time in the world to practise spirituality.

Edited by Francis777