AtheisticNonduality

Where are you in ten years?

50 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2022 at 7:15 AM, Husseinisdoingfine said:

In a Monastery, hopefully. That's my goal.

@Husseinisdoingfine @bythos 

Why? (Not against your decision, just curious to why)

And why can't you retreat to a monastery right now? 

For me, instead of going to a monastery, I'd rather become financially free - which entails a high 7-figure to 8-figure net worth - and do my consciousness work in the way that is best suited to me and not under the rigid rules of a monastery. I'd be able to go to a cabin in the woods and do the practices solo instead of around other people like in a monastery. 

Procrastination = Lack of clarity

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” — George Leonard

@Fearey 

Are you a software developer? 

@Vision Yes, I do software development work professionally. Hopefully as a freelancer, soon enough.

INTJ 5w4 from Norway

On 5/15/2022 at 8:05 AM, Fearey said:

Living in a cabin out in nowhere, philosophising about life. Developing software for my clients, and pursuing the creation of new, cutting-edge technology. All while living out a simple, minimalistic existence, all by myself.

How are you planning to balance a simplistic minimalist life with a high-tech one?

I ask because this sounds like my ideal lifestyle as well. Now Starlink exists to solve my high-speed internet problem. I'm fine heating with wood if needed, and using either septic or composting toilets, and well water.

The big problem is electricity. To have enough solar panels to produce all my electricity would cost at least $50k.

Also if a property doesn't have an existing well, or your well dries up (which happens), it's another $30k to drill another one. Plus a skid-steer to plow a long driveway in the winter if you live up north and want to leave your cabin between December - March and lots of other things. Living off-grid is more costly than most people imagine, especially initial startup costs. And it might end up a lot less simple and minimalistic than you first imagine.

Not saying it can't be done. I've been watching a guy on Youtube create his own homestead on a mountain for the past year. Just that it'll probably cost well over $1M to get everything set up in most places nowadays, and it's extremely hard to get a mortgage on undeveloped land in the middle of nowhere.

7 hours ago, Vision said:

@Husseinisdoingfine 

Why? (Not against your decision, just curious to why)

And why can't you retreat to a monastery right now? 

I'm curious about the same thing. Especially after Hussein's made a couple posts talking about falling behind in education and pursuing a PhD. What's the point of spending money on 7 years of schooling just to go to a monastery? If you're serious about the monastic life and it's the end goal, then just drop everything and go now.

@Fearey

1 hour ago, Fearey said:

@Vision Yes, I do software development work professionally. Hopefully as a freelancer, soon enough.

A few questions:

• Why did you choose it?
  • Do you enjoy it?
  • Did you go to university for it?

5 minutes ago, Yarco said:

How are you planning to balance a simplistic minimalist life with a high-tech one?

I ask because this sounds like my ideal lifestyle as well. Now Starlink exists to solve my high-speed internet problem. I'm fine heating with wood if needed, and using either septic or composting toilets, and well water.

The big problem is electricity. To have enough solar panels to produce all my electricity would cost at least $50k.

Also if a property doesn't have an existing well, or your well dries up (which happens), it's another $30k to drill another one. Plus a skid-steer to plow a long driveway in the winter if you live up north and want to leave your cabin between December - March and lots of other things. Living off-grid is more costly than most people imagine, especially initial startup costs. And it might end up a lot less simple and minimalistic than you first imagine.

Not saying it can't be done. I've been watching a guy on Youtube create his own homestead on a mountain for the past year. Just that it'll probably cost well over $1M to get everything set up in most places nowadays, and it's extremely hard to get a mortgage on undeveloped land in the middle of nowhere.

@Yarco

Why do you want to be in the middle of nowhere/off the grid?

I'm curious about the same thing. Especially after Hussein's made a couple posts talking about falling behind in education and pursuing a PhD. What's the point of spending money on 7 years of schooling just to go to a monastery? If you're serious about the monastic life and it's the end goal, then just drop everything and go now.

That's interesting. What is the point of that? Taking the question into account literally (10 years) you'd only have 3 years to pay off your student debt, unless you already had the capital beforehand.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Yarco said:

@Yarco

By setting a long-term cap on spending, with regard to materialistic improvements to my living conditions. Other than that, I suppose it would involve lots of trial and error to strike a balance.

4 hours ago, Yarco said:

Yes, running water and electricity would be very costly indeed. In my situation, setting up electricity and running water all year round would after my estimates set me back roughly $350k, plus maintenance.

I would not bother with roads, and would likely move to and from my cabin on foot. There's a 2.5 hour walk to and from the nearest supermarket (3+ during winter time), where I can get all the supplies I need.

3 hours ago, Vision said:

@Fearey

A few questions:

• Why did you choose it?
  • Do you enjoy it?
  • Did you go to university for it?

@Vision

I got into tech about a year after I put every penny I had available into starting my online business about 6 years ago (selling virtually tradeable game items for money), and had to teach myself efficient automation techniques to be able to successfully compete with opposing businesses with 10+ employees, while mine had roughly the same output, where I set up systems to automate every process from gathering resources, to storing resources, to sending them to my customers after my system confirmed their payment for said goods.

I closed this business back in 2020, as I was not able to compete on on the same level as before, all while no longer being motivated to stay on top.

In the beginning I loathed it. I actually tried getting into tech long before I started my online business. I watched tutorials on outdated JavaScript, where the teachers didn't include much if any practical application, or mention the importance of putting what is being learned into practice. I knew this is something I "could" get good at, eventually, but never really got into it until I had to, to keep my business going.

No, I did not go to university for it. My high school grades were abysmal, as I was more or less a depressed wreck all from primary school throughout high school. I had no motivation, got bullied quite a bit, and as a result preferred to stick to myself 100% of the time, playing video games. I was basically stuck in stage Purple until i was 13-14 years old, as crazy as that sounds. Only after high school did things start going well for me.

Edited by Fearey

INTJ 5w4 from Norway

@Fearey

That’s interesting, thanks for sharing.

13 hours ago, Fearey said:

In the beginning I loathed it. I actually tried getting into tech long before I started my online business. I watched tutorials on outdated JavaScript, where the teachers didn't include much if any practical application, or mention the importance of putting what is being learned into practice. I knew this is something I "could" get good at, eventually, but never really got into it until I had to, to keep my business going.

Do you enjoy it now?

13 hours ago, Fearey said:

No, I did not go to university for it. My high school grades were abysmal, as I was more or less a depressed wreck all from primary school throughout high school. I had no motivation, got bullied quite a bit, and as a result preferred to stick to myself 100% of the time, playing video games. I was basically stuck in stage Purple until i was 13-14 years old, as crazy as that sounds. Only after high school did things start going well for me.

Sorry to hear about that. That’s inspiring though.

How did you learn? Was it all online? What resources did you use?

And how is your life situation now? Financially and emotionally? 

Posted (edited)

@AtheisticNonduality Is this where we talk about all the things we're going to do in external reality? I've traveled the world, I run a successful business, I've got many creative projects going on, I would have perhaps been in and out of relationships (though hopefully not I'd prefer just to find the right lady), at the end of the day though what is most relevant to me is if at the level of being I have mapped myself completely by the end of the year and by the end of 10 years this is merely at a much higher level of sophistication paired with the growth that corresponds to the theoretical limits.

I don't know why I'd be reaching for anything more, I mean, it really depends on the creative project, anything could fit inside this in terms of exploration potential but at the end of the day, here I am, right now in this moment just alive, well and aware, so let's do the alive, well and aware part much better and then the alive part is all the more better aye and then you're a better example for others or some other comparable Aurelius sentiment with perhaps some more Shakespearean Vigour, Gordon Ramsay leaves the conversation. Maybe my child is 5 years of age in 10 years time? Really, do I want that still? That's something to discuss with The Lady.

Apparently that's a film haha didn't know that before just thought I'd type that into google and got that, here we go:

Screen-Shot-2022-05-18-at-5-08-14-pm.png

Who wears the pants? If she does she better earn them otherwise its all dynamics that gets us to the described finish line.

No rush though, a relationship isn't a priority to me at this stage, purely growth in the described sense and if a relationship can complement that, great and if not, let's separate ourselves from the cultural indoctrination. Even if you love a woman, what is love to the body, being and consciousness? These subjects are never explored and its a growth point for my own self understanding and movement towards the determined development end. 

Edited by lxlichael

X

Oh I know.

Relationships.

That's all I really care about, everything else is a means to end to that really while at the same time being comes first in the way described so that the idea of relationships has greater balance.

X

Just enjoying a peaceful life hiking, finding new music, finding moments of bliss and peace.

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Vision said:

@Fearey

That’s interesting, thanks for sharing.

Do you enjoy it now?

Sorry to hear about that. That’s inspiring though.

How did you learn? Was it all online? What resources did you use?

And how is your life situation now? Financially and emotionally? 

@Vision Very much so, thank you. Yes, most of what I've learnt has been learned online. I used courses from Coursera, Udemy and Freecodecamp to get a theoretical understanding, before applying much of what I learned in real-life projects, some directly related to my online business.

I very much enjoy being able to create something out of nothing, and having that something be able to greatly help others fulfill their goals.

Regarding my life situation, i suppose it is quite good. I'm doing great financially and emotionally I'm quite stable. I no longer try to hide from, or supress emotions, but rather just let them happen without trying to forcefully change them in one way or another.

I hold a relatively neutral, detached view on life in general, so my emotions and feelings basically stay the same, regardless of what happens around me. This, I feel, brings a lot of peace into my day-to-day life.

Edited by Fearey

INTJ 5w4 from Norway

Fully Escaped Wage Slavery. 

How can I show my appreciation for life in this moment?

On 19/05/2022 at 4:00 PM, ZenSwift said:

Fully Escaped Wage Slavery. 

That’s it?

You can’t think of anything better to achieve than a negatively motivated goal in TEN years?

I’m sure there’s things that you actually want... other than not want. 

@Fearey That’s really inspiring. 

May I ask how long it took you reach the point you’re at, and how old you are (just a range is fine if you’d prefer)?

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Vision said:

@Fearey That’s really inspiring. 

May I ask how long it took you reach the point you’re at, and how old you are (just a range is fine if you’d prefer)?

@Vision A fair bit of time. I got into personal development work back in 2012, shortly after discovering Actualized on YouTube at random. I'm currently 27 years old, so I must've been 17-18 years old back when I started.

As to the point im at developmentally, at least in terms of Spiral Dynamics I think my breaking into Yellow occured back in 2017, and it was out of necessity. I had broken all bridges starting up my solo business, and now all of a sudden, I had to completely rethink everything, to even stand a chance at competing with rivalling businesses doing the exact same thing. Either that, or I'd face bankruptcy. So my push into second tier seems to have come as a result of immense financial pressure, and the fact that I had nothing to go to if I didn't continuously keep innovating, in order to stay ahead.

I believe myself to be at the Integral Theory developmental stage known as Ultraviolet. There is no name for this stage in Spiral Dynamics, but it would likely be whatever stage gets named 2 stages beyond Coral.

If you're interested, I'd be happy to go more into detail on what I believe these stages are about.

Edited by Fearey

INTJ 5w4 from Norway

19 minutes ago, Fearey said:

A fair bit of time. I got into personal development work back in 2012, shortly after discovering Actualized on YouTube at random. I'm currently 27 years old, so I must've been 17-18 years old back when I started.

As to the point im at developmentally, at least in terms of Spiral Dynamics I think my breaking into Yellow occured back in 2017, and it was out of necessity. I had broken all bridges starting up my solo business, and now all of a sudden, I had to completely rethink everything, to even stand a chance at competing with rivalling businesses doing the exact same thing. Either that, or I'd face bankruptcy. So my push into second tier seems to have come as a result of immense financial pressure, and the fact that I had nothing to go to if I didn't continuously keep innovating, in order to stay ahead.

@Fearey Thanks. 

What were the top 3-5 things that you did to overcome that situation?

23 minutes ago, Fearey said:

I believe myself to be at the Integral Theory developmental stage known as Ultraviolet. There is no name for this stage in Spiral Dynamics, but it would likely be whatever stage gets named 2 stages beyond Coral.

If you're interested, I'd be happy to go more into detail on what I believe these stages are about.

I went through a phase a couple of years ago where I delved balls deep into Integral Theory and Ken Wilber’s work. His work combined intellectually orgasmic concepts into even more intellectually orgasmic concepts ;)  

I’m definitely interested in your perspective on it. Also, what are your thoughts on the highest stage he’s talked about; Supermind?

Living in a hotel, writing books.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

Wow umm.....all this dead super early and suicide talk is so unnerving.....I don't know for me after my near death experience....I really appreciate life more. Everyone in here talks about their death so simply I believe they underestimate how much they love their life....when you truly face your own demise and the end of your Avatar.....you will realize how much you appreciated it. Many people that commit suicide and survive are actually happy they survive. 

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/means-matter/survival/

So most of you talking like this.....haven't really faced death. While ultimately you cannot die the life and death of your human avatar can and coming face to face with that is paradigm shifting.....

Anyway to answer the question..... Hopefully somewhere improving on my ability to meditate and connect inward.

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

On 12/05/2022 at 8:05 PM, AtheisticNonduality said:

When: ten years from now. Give a description of where.

I'm rich, ripped and enlightened and a pickup expert.. ;P