Karmadhi

Are there any benefits of being an introvert?

37 posts in this topic

Hey guys, i wanted to ask this here.

I am a natural introvert and even though i have managed to develop quite decent social skills and some extroverted tendencies i always felt like it being a limitation.

I had to work super hard to try to match what an extrovert naturally has, and it felt like i had to work harder to develop "what you ought to have for a successful life".

I mean what benefits do i get as an introvert compared to an extrovert? Extroverts have it much easier to make friends, get sex/relationships, get good jobs and climb on managerial positions which pay well, and overall tend to be more easy going.

I come from a very extroverted culture which sees introversion as something bad. The word "introvert" is literally used sometimes to insult someone when they are being anti-social or cold. This bias really made me subconsciously dislike my introvert nature and feel like i always had to work extra hard to match an extrovert because they naturally have "what matters".

So a list of things introverts have good going for them would be appreciated.

The only thing i can think off is that introverts are better at introspecting which can allow them to grow themselves more than extroverts can, if they actually decide to. They are better at problem findings within themselves better.

Anything else would be appreciated :) 

maybe it's better for spiritual purposes and as you said introspection etc.

also for some arts

Edited by PurpleTree

Read this book:

Quiet: The power of introverts!

I don't think there's any benefits with it. It's all just downsides. (I'm a introvert.)

Edited by Blackhawk

2 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

I don't think there's any benefits with it. It's all just downsides. (I'm a introvert.)

Lol

Ermm...

Ya, stronger more well thought out reasons and values.  More clear direction and vision.  Both from more alone time.  More able to thrive in conditions that require mpre solitude and other aspects of being more introverted.  Perhaps less dependency on others and this perhaps strength of the individual.  

Im sure theres a lot more.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

2 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

Lol

Ermm...

Ya, stronger more well thought out reasons and values.  More clear direction and vision.  Both from more alone time.  More able to thrive in conditions that require mpre solitude and other aspects of being more introverted.  Perhaps less dependency on others and this perhaps strength of the individual.  

Im sure theres a lot more.

What's the scientific evidence for that?

10 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

Lol

Just now, Spence94 said:

Lol

So why would I believe something which there's no evidence for?

According to the book Quiet introverts are better at inventing things and better at making great art. Apparently most profound inventions are done solo. Buddha leaving his family to go off alone, Steve Wozniak inventing the PC on his own in his garage etc etc. If you're an introvert you're more likely to spend time alone which is where you can get really deep.

19 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

All nice in theory but they are too conceptual. The real tangible results are gained through extroversion: girls, friends, good jobs, status, power, money, etc. An introvert will theorize it, the extrovert will just go and take it.

17 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

You dont need scientific evidence for common sense.

4 minutes ago, Asayake said:

According to the book Quiet introverts are better at inventing things and better at making great art. Apparently most profound inventions are done solo. Buddha leaving his family to go off alone, Steve Wozniak inventing the PC on his own in his garage etc etc. If you're an introvert you're more likely to spend time alone which is where you can get really deep

Well i am not a creative person nor have interest in it to make it a career. So what goods does my introversion give me?

Yes, i am introspective, have a natural curiousity and relatively deep thinking about reality and harder to fall into group thinking and ideology than people around me. It does not give me what i want though. 

Edited by Karmadhi

3 minutes ago, Asayake said:

According to the book Quiet introverts are better at inventing things and better at making great art. 

It's true because it's in a book?

2 minutes ago, Karmadhi said:

You dont need scientific evidence for common sense.

Yes you do, because "common sense" isn't any evidence. "Common sense" has been wrong innumerable times.

For example according to my mom common sense says that covid-19 doesn't exist and never existed, etc.

2 hours ago, Karmadhi said:

I am a natural introvert and even though i have managed to develop quite decent social skills and some extroverted tendencies i always felt like it being a limitation.

I had to work super hard to try to match what an extrovert naturally has, and it felt like i had to work harder to develop "what you ought to have for a successful life".

I mean what benefits do i get as an introvert compared to an extrovert? Extroverts have it much easier to make friends, get sex/relationships, get good jobs and climb on managerial positions which pay well, and overall tend to be more easy going.

I come from a very extroverted culture which sees introversion as something bad. The word "introvert" is literally used sometimes to insult someone when they are being anti-social or cold. This bias really made me subconsciously dislike my introvert nature and feel like i always had to work extra hard to match an extrovert because they naturally have "what matters".

So a list of things introverts have good going for them would be appreciated.

The only thing i can think off is that introverts are better at introspecting which can allow them to grow themselves more than extroverts can, if they actually decide to. They are better at problem findings within themselves better.

You may get the benefit of being liked and surrounded by other introverts and may have less drama/noise because of that.  

You may have more insightful conversations

You may be more observant

You may be less bothersome/annoying

If you are an introvert, you may not even care about climbing a job ladder as you may prefer to be alone anyway and hence may be more likely to try to do your own thing instead of work for a company

You may be more humble and authentic

Edited by PepperBlossoms

36 minutes ago, Karmadhi said:

All nice in theory but they are too conceptual. The real tangible results are gained through extroversion: girls, friends, good jobs, status, power, money, etc. An introvert will theorize it, the extrovert will just go and take it.

I just see you taking this as too black and white (or rather, introverted and extroverted), and like you have some resentment around the introversion part that is maybe, probably I think, being unfair due to the resentment.  Perhaps coming from some pain in the past or struggles you currently have, which are totally legit and understandable.  I could be way off, totally.  But just maybe it's best to try and appreciate each side.  This doesn't even have to be just a "dishonestly trying to make everything equal so I can feel better" thing, I think if you actually, legitimately, looked at the pros and cons of each side, you'd find a bunch on each.  Of course, you'd have to step outside your biases and such, which can be difficult fosho.  But ya, just try it out.  Even asking others for their input here is a step you can take. Make a list.  Think outside the box.  

You can do this exercise with any polarity.  It'll hopefully make you see in a more balanced way and simultaneously feel more at peace, balanced, and whole.  

What are the downsides of x (your preferred side of the polarity.  In this case it sounds like it's extroversion)?

• Ex:  Missing out on the awesome feelings you can have alone doing spiritual exercises; the peace, the bliss, love, etc.
  • Ex:  Getting too caught up in what others are doing and then feeling empty due to not living your own values. 
  • Ex:  Being too social to the point where you have to deal with more politics and interpersonal drama, thus sapping your energy and positivity.  

and then...

What are the upsides of y (the side of the polarity you dislike, in this case introversion)?

• Ex:  Confidence at being able to be anywhere in the world and know you can feel at home since all you need is you.
  • Ex:  More thoughtful (not necessarily, but perhaps there's an increased likelihood if you do more introversion)
  • Ex:  More clarity in what you want out of life and thus perhaps more chance in getting there.  

Also... I think it's important to know that not all introverts are necessarily more thoughtful or spiritual, and not all extroverts are necessarily more confident and social capable.  Maybe extroverts are in general more comfortable expressing emotions around others which can maybe make them seem more confident.  But all the while they could be extremely shy or uncomfortable.  I at least have remembered hearing that from people I considered extroverted and very confident.  Yet they still suffered from lots of low self-esteem etc..  

In Sum:  Looks can be deceiving.  

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

1 hour ago, Blackhawk said:

So why would I believe something which there's no evidence for?

@Blackhawk

He provided you with his perspective on the benefits of being introverted but because you are looking to simply defend your worldview and stay stuck in your limited thinking patterns and not actually seek to understand other peoples perspectives (even though deep down you want to becuase this issue is cuasing you suffering), you are demanding scientific evidence which I think is LOL.

First time i've seen someone demanding scientific evidence from somebody to back up their opinion on the forum which is kind of funny.

2 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

Where is your scientific evidence that there are no advantages to being introverted?

You're just trying to defend those limiting subconcious beliefs you have about introverts and ultimatley about yourself. Bust em baby!

Edited by Spence94

4 hours ago, Spence94 said:

Where is your scientific evidence that there are no advantages to being introverted?

I said that I think that there's no advantages of being introverted. While you guys are sure there are advantages.

Edited by Blackhawk

intellectual people are introverts. they are very good in self help and other things. but they suffer in social situation

extroverts are very good in social situtation but suffer in fields where intorverts excel

u cannot have all. u should make a choise betweeen exceling in social situations or exceling in readiing, learning, understanding, spirituality. i would always always choose being an introvert. although i am extremely suffering in social situation i will always choose to be an introvert. 

also u can improve your social skills .

I am an introvert. Some benefits I have noticed that I can think of off the top of my head:

- I find that people listen to me when I speak much more than with my extrovert friends. People seem to think what I have to say is well thought out because I don't say much.

- I am happy meditating, exercising by myself, playing video games, without having to spend money doing social things.

- Some girls really like introverts, I have had the same girlfriend for 10 years but if I was looking for one I think it would not be hard for me without having to try to imitate an extrovert. Just listen well, have a sense of humor and find out through trial and error what she likes. 

- As for getting a good high paying job, I would agree that it is more of a challenge. I don't feel a strong desire to have a high paying career since I just need a bit of money to be happy and do the things I want to do right now. 

Yes. By being a introvert, you have a allowing for extroverts to be who they naturally are. And if they happen to say something thoughtful or interesting, there can be a mutual exchange beetween the two.

There is no number to how many people who simultaneously can listen to one person speak their mind. But it takes merely two people speaking at the same time, for a message to go unheard.