Bufo Alvarius

I asked Rupert Spira directly about solipsism - here is what he said

173 posts in this topic

I attended Rupert's online satsang and asked him directly about his stance on solipsism and recorded an audio of the conversation we had.

IMO Rupert kept beating around the bush, maybe also partly because my inquiry might have been not concise enough.

Apologies in advance if I didn't manage to include all objections that have been made by you guys in the many posts about that topic. I tried my best to get Rupert to give an definite answer to that question.

Here's a link to the audio (12 min):

https://sndup.net/kgy3/

Edited by Bufo Alvarius

Can you give a written summary?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Bufo Alvarius In Vedanta, there is a clear distinction between minds and Consciousness.  There is only one Consciousness (not many bubbles), but there are many minds.  It would be more fitting to say the bubbles are minds within the one Consciousness, but only as an analogy.  Now, the question you raised about how to know that other bubbles exist, when all you have access to is your bubble, is a very challenging question.  I will say that there are answers to that question, but I don't know how satisfying they would be.  Seeing that it is logically possible that other minds could exist might be sufficient, but if you want certainty, then the journey to get there cannot be stated simply within a few sentences.  

Why would you ask someone else whether or not there's anyone else?

You are either talking to yourself and pretending it's someone else so convincingly that you can't tell it's all you,

or

You are actually talking to someone else. 

Both seem the same, and it doesn't make one bit of difference to you which one is the case. 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

30 minutes ago, Bufo Alvarius said:

I attended Rupert's online satsang and asked him directly about his stance on solipsism and recorded an audio of the conversation we had.

IMO Rupert kept beating around the bush, maybe also partly because my inquiry might have been not concise enough.

Apologies in advance if I didn't manage to include all objections that have been made by you guys in the many posts about that topic. I tried my best to get Rupert to give an definite answer to that question.

Here's a link to the audio:

https://sndup.net/kgy3/

So he dismisses solipsism within the first minute or so of the conversation. I will listen to the whole. 

@Leo Gura The last 2-3 min of the audio were the most important. I'm paraphrasing:

Me: "Is God experiencing all bubbles of consciousness simultaneously outside/beyond my bubble of consciousness?"

Rupert: "Yes, you as consciousness are looking simultaneously through the lenses of all finite minds."

There are no bubbles. Only you.

@Bufo Alvarius I'm just saying.. it's kind of like using a cell phone to google whether or not cell phones exist. 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

There are no bubbles. Only you.

Will "I" ever experience life from a Leo Gura point of view?

@Leo Gura Please listen to the audio. I have a feeling that you and Rupert disagree on solipsism. He clearly says that the world outside your direct perception exists and that universal consciousness experience through different finite minds. 

lol it feels like you are giving him an existential crisis ahahhahaha 5:37

14 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@Bufo Alvarius I'm just saying.. it's kind of like using a cell phone to google whether or not cell phones exist. 

This is a great analogy. I'm stealing that.

12 minutes ago, Federico del pueblo said:

Will "I" ever experience life from a Leo Gura point of view?

The future is imaginary.

8 minutes ago, Evoke said:

@Leo Gura Please listen to the audio. I have a feeling that you and Rupert disagree on solipsism. He clearly says that the world outside your direct perception exists and that universal consciousness experience through different finite minds. 

I already said that I don't agree with Spira's position. Which is why I say he's not fully awake. Which is why I warn against the dangers of Neo-Advaita. Neo-Advaita is NOT NOT NOT the highest realization.

@Leo Gura Yeah, Rupert seemed to get a bit upset about the 'only me' aspect and clearly dismissed this notion, that I'm the only existing being imagining everyone else. I think he referred to the small self here though (ego).

On the other hand, he agreed that infinity is the only one being, that experiences itself as infinite finite minds.

@Bufo Alvarius I can just tell he really doesn’t know. That’s fine though, but maybe he should swallow his pride a bit and say that he doesn’t know for sure. “Simultaneous experiences” leave too many questions unanswered, and it kinda sucks that solipsism seems to be the more satisfactory answer, and also not. Depending on who you ask. 

He isn't conscious enough to be aware of how he constructed other minds.

Self-inquiry will not give you sufficient consciousness for that.

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Self-inquiry will not give you sufficient consciousness for that.

What does?

1 minute ago, Illusory Self said:

What does?

5-MeO-DMT, 5-MeO-MALT

I've experienced bubbles from an NDE.
I think there's bubbles.

@Leo Gura Can you have a conversation with Rubert Spira, this would be total epic.

I still see some common points, but I interpret rupert spira maybe a little different than you.

Just be open, that Rubert Spira and you say exact the same about reality. He is just used to talk from relative perspective and often meets people at their level. 

Edited by OBEler