Someone here

Truth or happiness?

25 posts in this topic

Happiness leads to narcissism and is mostly temporary, and not as important as we think but it is very good at making us do stuff we don’t need in order to feel good.

What is important to the human is Meaning. Happiness is temporary and The truth is always out of reach and suffers the null hypothesis.

The meaning we attach to things such as happiness or our perceived truth.

Meaning is laden with bias.

But we don’t like that paradox, and so we eat more than we should, belittle women and children unethically, buy more than we need, believe in things without doing the research.

Anything to keep us happy and an illusion of understanding the truth.

That’s why it’s called ‘retail therapy.’

We are the Eternal Child that refuses to grow up, as Dr Clive Bromhall would say.

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

Both.  This sounds like me.  There's still Truth there, we don't escape death, it's always right there staring us down whether we are an eternal child or wise old soul.  Why can't the eternal child, in certain circumstances assuming all it's needs are met, transcend into a wise old soul?  That's how I feel.  When all my needs are met, I can creatively think once again, and I can step outside of myself to see the bigger picture.  Happiness must play a big role in growth.  I would say that we need it.

I feel full of happiness and Love right now, but it did take a bit of a process to get there.

6 minutes ago, Loba said:

Both.  This sounds like me.  There's still Truth there, we don't escape death, it's always right there staring us down whether we are an eternal child or wise old soul.  Why can't the eternal child, in certain circumstances assuming all it's needs are met, transcend into a wise old soul?  That's how I feel.  When all my needs are met, I can creatively think once again, and I can step outside of myself to see the bigger picture.  Happiness must play a big role in growth.  I would say that we need it.

I feel full of happiness and Love right now, but it did take a bit of a process to get there.

There is a famous quote in sanskrit " Satyam Shivam Sundaram", which translates to Truth -Godliness- Beauty, but in life what I have experienced and heard from elderly people as well, Truth is the best path to adopt but we must be aware of the fact that truth will always be closer to Godliness but it will not be always beautiful. Both have a definite role in our life happiness and truth, but under some circumstance we may choose to deviate for a greater good.

-Osho

Happiness is truth.

Jesus saw some babies nursing. He said to his disciples, "These nursing babies are like those who enter the kingdom."

Everyone is waiting for eternity but the Shaman asks: "how about today?"

happiness is duality truth is non-duality

sat chit ananda is truth consciousness happiness

namely consciousness is halfway to destroying duality and getting truth

Edited by gettoefl

7 minutes ago, roopepa said:

Happiness is truth.

Jesus saw some babies nursing. He said to his disciples, "These nursing babies are like those who enter the kingdom."

I’m more inclined to say that it is one’s journey [Life] having freedom [Liberty] discovering one’s truth [the pursuit of] resulting in joy [Happiness]. Hence, one’s innate unalienable rights of “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness

-Osho

5 minutes ago, gettoefl said:

happiness is duality truth is non-duality

sat chit ananda is truth consciousness happiness

namely consciousness is halfway to destroying duality and getting truth

Love this  ❤ 

-Osho

The secret is: Truth is happiness.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

11 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

The secret is: Truth is happiness.

Always? Some truths are a hard pill to swallow. Isn't that why you deleted the solipsism video ?

Just some thoughts I had about happiness. I always thought happiness was the most important thing for everyone, and maybe it is. But then I thought about truth, and realized that truth is probably even more important to us. In fact, it seems to me that truth is all that matters to us. But we lose sight of it and forget what our goal was.

When we say "I'd like to be happy", what we really mean is "I'd like the truth to be such that it makes me happy". If we're honest, we wouldn't want to be told a lie that makes us happy. We'd rather find out the truth and be unhappy. Of course, ideally, we'd want the truth to be such that it makes us happy. But we want the truth above all.

I'm sure not everyone will agree with this, but imagine that people around you conspire to tell you a lie all your life in order to make you happy. One hour before your death, they admit that they lied to you all your life, but had you known the truth, you would have been unhappy. Will you die thinking that it's okay, all those years of happiness cannot be taken away from you, and that your life was a good one, even if it was because of a lie? Or will you be angry that they lied to you, and that your happiness was based on that lie, and that your life was pointless?

Similarly, would you rather take a drug that instantly made you happy without bad consequences, or would you rather work hard and maybe even suffer throughout your life in order to get just an occasional bit of happiness here and there? I think most people choose the latter, because they are looking for something, even if they don't know what it is. It's not happiness.

Why? Because no one really seeks happiness. We seek truth. We'd love to have both, but if we can only get one or the other, we'd choose truth over happiness.

This means happiness is not our primary goal. Maybe this is a bit like food. We don't seek to be constantly eating our favorite dish. We just want to stay alive and avoid hunger, and in the mean time we sometimes eat good food which makes us happy temporarily. But the goal of food is not to make us happy — it's to keep us alive. Happiness is a sort of side effect that tells us we're on the right track, but it's not the goal.

-Osho

I guess if you're accepting or even joyous of the discovery/whatever truth is presented then it is happiness, if you're resisting it then it could do the opposite. 9_9

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

"Happiness is a direction, not a destination."

- Fortune Cookie

Edited by Loba

5 minutes ago, puporing said:

I guess if you're accepting or even joyous of the discovery/whatever truth is presented then it is happiness, if you're resisting it then it could do the opposite. 9_9

Truth, fully awakening leads to everlasting happiness. The conditioned happiness is that of fleeting happiness obsessed with objects and getting these objects in order to be happy all bs. Those people you think are happy are sure "happy", but you attack their beliefs, attachments etc and they will turn into a miserable wreck most likely. This is about being as neutral as a tree and finding happiness within our own inherent perfect being.

-Osho

Vitality and resilience. You're unhappy because you can't handle the truth.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

5 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Vitality and resilience. You're unhappy because you can't handle the truth.

Who said I'm unhappy? I'm happier than ever these days. Hope you too 

-Osho

@Someone here But what if that same path leads to neutrality.  I can see that in me, too, but I feel neutral about it because I took a shortcut towards happiness i.e. weed and coffee.  Now I can think with some objectivity and I feel fully grounded, but it will wear off eventually - but in this state I would not feel attacked, whereas maybe on a different day if I wasn't feeling happy, then I might be more prone to being triggered.

I think a person can get something out of conditioned happiness, provided the conditions do not go away.  If I get to live in a peaceful setting with my needs met, then my thoughts will be clearer and I will be at peace and it will provide me with more opportunity to learn about peace.  I find myself becoming more grounded with meds, too, also a substance/conditioned happiness.

It's the left hand path.

Happiness is a choice.  Happiness is the will of the heart.

Nah. I'm too happy to entertain such thoughts.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

7 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Who said I'm unhappy? I'm happier than ever these days. Hope you too 

I didn't say you were...

Are you sure you're OK? :P 

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

8 minutes ago, Loba said:

@Someone here But what if that same path leads to neutrality.  I can see that in me, too, but I feel neutral about it because I took a shortcut towards happiness i.e. weed and coffee.  Now I can think with some objectivity and I feel fully grounded, but it will wear off eventually - but in this state I would not feel attacked, whereas maybe on a different day if I wasn't feeling happy, then I might be more prone to being triggered.

I think a person can get something out of conditioned happiness, provided the conditions do not go away.  If I get to live in a peaceful setting with my needs met, then my thoughts will be clearer and I will be at peace and it will provide me with more opportunity to learn about peace.  I find myself becoming more grounded with meds, too, also a substance/conditioned happiness.

It's the left hand path.

Happiness is a choice.  Happiness is the will of the heart.

The truth is that no exterior condition or stimuli MAKES us happy or unhappy. Nothing MAKES us sad or joyful or angry or scared. The external stimuli is only what it is and our response to it is nothing but a process within ourselves. Are roller coasters fun or are they scary? We get different answers from different people but the truth is that it's just a damn roller coaster. Truth doesn't guarantee anything but freedom. Whether freedom results in our happiness is up to each individual. We choose our own internal state in every moment regardless of conditions. Once this truth is known to the core the resulting choice is usually some form of "happy".

-Osho

2 hours ago, Someone here said:

Happiness leads to narcissism

...and you lost me.