Yoremo

CBT?

29 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so been pretty fucked up mentally for awhile and I have gotten in touch with a psychologist to do cbt. 

So my question is whether this would actually help, because I myself am quite skeptical of this. What do you think?

I've heard that cbt is very powerful because it desensitizes the brain. I haven't tried it though. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Depends on what your problem is. For example, CBT is very good for internalizing disorders (anxiety, phobias and depression), but less good for externalizing ones (impulsivity, aggression and antisocial behavior). 

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

26 minutes ago, Yoremo said:

So my question is whether this would actually help, because I myself am quite skeptical of this.

Skeptical of the science of psychology as a whole, or skeptical of the effectiveness of CBT on you?

@EmptyVase well, mostly because my past experiences with the medical care where I live has been really bad, so I am a bit skeptical that the person I will be meeting will know what he/she is doing. But also if it will work on me.

@Carl-Richard I have mostly anxiety and depression. What is considered impulsivity? because of the anxiety and depression I get more impulsive in my behaviour but what kind of impulsivity do you mean?

@Yoremo

That is very understandable, especially due to past negative medical experiences.

With psychotherapy, it's important to find a psychotherapist who

1) knows what they're talking about,

2) suits you.

When both of the above are in place, psychotherapy can definitely help you. CBT - understanding the relationship between thoughts, feelings, and behavior - is ridiculously powerful and unexpectedly profound. Definitely the way to go imo.

But I wouldn't go to a therapist who I don't resonate with.

Hope this helps. :)

20 minutes ago, Yoremo said:

I have mostly anxiety and depression. What is considered impulsivity? because of the anxiety and depression I get more impulsive in my behaviour but what kind of impulsivity do you mean?

"Externalizing disorder" is a fuzzy concept, but I'll give you a list of relevant conditions (with DSM-5 codes):

Attention-deficit and disruptive behavior disorders:

Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

314.01 Combined subtype

314.01 Predominantly hyperactive-impulsive subtype

314.00 Predominantly inattentive subtype

314.9 Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder NOS

Conduct disorder

312.81 Childhood onset

312.82 Adolescent onset

312.89 Unspecified onset

313.81 Oppositional Defiant Disorder

312.9 Disruptive Behavior Disorder NOS

Cluster B personality disorders:

301.7 Antisocial personality disorder

301.83 Borderline personality disorder

301.50 Histrionic personality disorder

301.81 Narcissistic personality disorder

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

21 hours ago, Yoremo said:

Hey guys, so been pretty fucked up mentally for awhile and I have gotten in touch with a psychologist to do cbt. 

So my question is whether this would actually help, because I myself am quite skeptical of this. What do you think?

CBT is good for addressing symptoms, it doesn’t help the core problems that well. To address core issues I recommend a experiential process like Internal family systems, psychodynamic, or Byron Katie’s work and trauma release.

@Raze so if I do cbt the core problems will remain and the symptoms will come back later again? and if so, would you see benefit to do cbt to take me out of this rut so that I can function more properly so I can then easier address. the core problems? I don´t know, cbt is what is offered to me.

I personally would recommend EMDR with a therapist that actually understands therapy and has enough integrity to heal themself with that technique. 

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

Fuck the mental health system and find a real healer, a person realized as a healer who can actually help you

just be here, if you can do it this moment you can do it the next moment

this is the now, now is all that is real, the truth is now, not your concept or experience, just this

is there suffering in this ? work to be done young jedi. me

On 28.1.2022 at 3:56 PM, Yoremo said:

Generally speaking yes. It can be effective to overcome fears, insecurities. But you must (obviously) collaborate with the therapist as in confronting your fears, changing behaviours etc.

I don't believe though that it's very effective for dealing with severe trauma, here CBT is limited.

Get this book, "Overcoming unwanted intrusive thoughts" It is a CBT based guide. I assume most of your issues are stemming from your thoughts and this book does a really great job at helping you understand these things and what you can do about it, in case you want to avoid the whole medical field and therapist approach. 

Focus on the solution, not the problem

21 hours ago, Yoremo said:

@Raze so if I do cbt the core problems will remain and the symptoms will come back later again? and if so, would you see benefit to do cbt to take me out of this rut so that I can function more properly so I can then easier address. the core problems? I don´t know, cbt is what is offered to me.

Yes, it can perhaps do that. Just keep in mind the focus of CBT is learning to live better with the problems, not solving the internal problem. Sometimes just learning to live with it can solve it because you go to start doing things in your life that naturally solve it. So if you still have the problem don’t panic, there are other ways. 

So instead of CBT what would you think that I should do? because this cbt is offered to me for free, and I live in a quite isolated place so there isn´t much else around here.

Btw, I think I will try cbt and see how it works. If it were to just make the symptoms of my depression (I guess I can call it that) I would be far better of because then I would be able to be more functional and maybe solve this deeply then, but maybe this is just flawed thinking?

I have been stuck like this for a while and I think I need some guidance so reading a book and trying to apply that would not work, and would just make me feel worse about myself.

@Yoremo if you can get it that easily, go for it. CBT is still good stuff. Just not groundbreaking like EMDR where it actually calms and quiets the limbic system. 

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

@ZenSwift I guess the effectiveness also depends on the person I am seeing.. How can I judge whether it is working for me? Like is there some signs or maybe after a certain period of time I can judge that maybe it isn´t going to work later either. Because I haven´t gone to any psychologists in the past so I am completely new to this.

but maybe it´s just better to go to someone "good". @catcat69123 what´s your opinion on this? how could I find a good healer? it´s going to have to be online because of the lack of people where I live

I'd go for IFS all day every day.

And add in some loving-Kindness meditation

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback