playdoh

I have so much resistance to “doing”, looking for some tips and strategies

20 posts in this topic

Whenever I have to do something there is so much resistance. Whether it be clean my room, pay my bills, or start a business, etc. The more stressful I find the task the more resistance there is. 

The most prominent feeling I get when I have to do something is fear followed by inertia. 

Watching Abraham Hicks videos on YouTube has helped me immensely in life  but seemingly not in this department. Basically she says never do anything unless you feel like it. “Feel good and then..”. 

I’m looking for some tips, strategies, guidance and accountability! Would be lovely. I’ve been talking for years about starting my own business, would love to become financially independent but in a way that comes naturally and easily to me, on a consistent basis. Life comes first! Any help would be so much appreciated!

Edited by playdoh

1 minute ago, playdoh said:

The most prominent feeling I get when I have to do something is fear followed by inertia. 

Watching Abraham Hicks videos on YouTube has helped me immensely in life  but seemingly not in this department. Basically she says never do anything unless you feel like doing it. “Feel good and then..”. 

use what already rings for ya mate! Abraham hicks would say this is resistance and energetic blockage. doesn't  her techniques to cut away resistance work for ya?

and there are many other techniques by similar teachers like EFT tapping and subconscious rewiring. look into these techniques and choose what works for ya. shed what doesn't.

much love!

my mini-blog!

https://wp.me/PcmO4b-T 

Notice right now that you are coming in with the idea that "you have a resistance problem" and you are looking for a solution or tips to help fix it.

But the "problem" with these types of problems (self referencial problems) is that it's not actually true. You don't "have" a resistance problem or a lot of resistance, it's just a thought, an idea. This idea, "that you have a resistance problem" feels bad, precisely because it is not true, a misconception.

Even if it's not true however, you can do your best to make it true (if you really believe it) by simply perpetuating the problem in your behavior. It doesn't make it any more true. Even if you are out there fully convinced you have this resistance problem and thus resisting to what you want to do, it doesn't change what you are and what you can do. In reality, you are free to act with or without resistance.

By looking for a solution to "fix" yourself or this problem, you are implying that this problem actually exists when in reality it does not. The problem is simply imagined, in your head, as some idea that feels bad. 

The reason that person you mentionned tells you to feel good first is to get rid of any idea like this that would generate blockage or resistance. If you feel good, you aren't believing false things about yourself and your productivity. Thus, if you want to maximize doing of any form, you should always prioritize feeling. By doing this, absolutely nothing can block you from what you want.

The best way to get in touch with feeling on a regular basis is to use mediation.

Edited by 4201

1 hour ago, 4201 said:

Even if it's not true however, you can do your best to make it true (if you really believe it) by simply perpetuating the problem in your behavior. It doesn't make it any more true. Even if you are out there fully convinced you have this resistance problem and thus resisting to what you want to do, it doesn't change what you are and what you can do. In reality, you are free to act with or without resistance.

This is fucking golden. +1.

hrhrhtewgfegege

You need to read Steven Pressfield's The War of Art in which he talks about the resistance.

You need faith, that’s it. Without it you get into these never ending internal feedback loops. Also if you have to depend on “feeling good” you are never going to produce something worthwhile.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

From my experience its an endless cycle. You develop a technique to start doing stuff but then you dont feel like doing the technique. So now to start doing stuff you need a technique to start using the first technique. The ego is truly amazing.

@4201 thank you. When you say “prioritize feeling” what do you mean? Do you mean prioritize feeling good? Thanks again mate. 

I meditate quite a bit. Do about 22 minutes of mindfulness meditation, followed by a grounding meditation, then sometimes align the chakras. 

Edited by playdoh

11 hours ago, vizual said:

You need faith, that’s it. Without it you get into these never ending internal feedback loops. Also if you have to depend on “feeling good” you are never going to produce something worthwhile.

I like the first part about faith ? The second part sounds like you’re talking about discipline. 

5 hours ago, playdoh said:

@4201 thank you. When you say “prioritize feeling” what do you mean? Do you mean prioritize feeling good? Thanks again mate. 

Basically, don't try to do anything while feeling bad. If you find yourself resisting, sit down and be aware of the feelings in your body and keep your focus on them until you feel good.

In my experience, attempts to feel good some other way do not turn out very well. "Oh I'm feeling bad right now... What could I do? Let me play some video games, that would feel good! ... 4 hours later, now I feel REALLY bad..." The idea that things can make us feel good is a misconception, the only way to feel good is to feel. So there is no difference between prioritizing feeling and prioritizing feeling good.

5 hours ago, playdoh said:

I meditate quite a bit. Do about 22 minutes of mindfulness meditation, followed by a grounding meditation, then sometimes align the chakras. 

That's great, definitely a habit you want to keep! When it comes to productivity though, you really need to apply the technique at the moment resistance happens as well.

Edited by 4201

21 hours ago, playdoh said:

Do you know where this fear is coming from?

It could be that you find the task to be too difficult and you might think you don't know how to do it.

What helps is to break bigger tasks down into smaller ones.

• Instead of cleaning the room you move this pencil and then these papers.
  • Instead of paying your bills you find one bill to pay and then pay it.
  • Instead of building a business you make this one thing to help others and then tell them about it.

Once you already start taking action it can be harder to stop than to just continue to go with it.

20 hours ago, hyruga said:

You need to read Steven Pressfield's The War of Art in which he talks about the resistance.

Thank you, I’ll check it out. 

1 hour ago, universe said:

Do you know where this fear is coming from?

It could be that you find the task to be too difficult and you might think you don't know how to do it.

What helps is to break bigger tasks down into smaller ones.

• Instead of cleaning the room you move this pencil and then these papers.
  • Instead of paying your bills you find one bill to pay and then pay it.
  • Instead of building a business you make this one thing to help others and then tell them about it.

Once you already start taking action it can be harder to stop than to just continue to go with it.

Thank you. 

On 03/01/2022 at 6:11 AM, playdoh said:

Whenever I have to do something there is so much resistance. Whether it be clean my room, pay my bills, or start a business, etc. The more stressful I find the task the more resistance there is. 

Watching Abraham Hicks videos on YouTube has helped me immensely in life  but seemingly not in this department. Basically she says never do anything unless you feel like it. “Feel good and then..”. 

I’m looking for some tips, strategies, guidance and accountability! Would be lovely. I’ve been talking for years about starting my own business, would love to become financially independent but in a way that comes naturally and easily to me, on a consistent basis. Life comes first! Any help would be so much appreciated!

The "feel good and then..." refers to emotional expression. Which is ideally done first, then the things that "follow" aren't (so) hard anymore. Fear is not a good motivator. And most of all, not consistent. And doesn't feel good.

So why do you feel fear?

We're often crippled by our past or societal conditioning without even realising it. Whatever is holding us back is deeply personal in the sense that we don't realise "This is only how I'm feeling"

You need to get that fear "out", so to say. Through expression or understanding (or ideally: both) 

Ever tried any emotional release exercises or any forms of shadow work?

Also, how clear is your vision? What do you want to create? What's the bigger picture? As someone very wise once said: "Inspiration replaces motivation" 

i think it's a kind of muscle that needs to be trained

i also have lots of resistance and procrastinate a lot

visited someone lately who doesn't have that, if there are bills to pay he just does it instantly

his flat is always clean

if theres paperwork to do he just does it without thinking about it

so now i also try to "just do it"

If you listen to some teachers like Teal, they will say to let go of your past traumas. If you listen to other teachers like Goggins, they will say discipline is key! But like what vizual said, you also need faith.

Edited by hyruga

1 hour ago, hyruga said:

If you listen to some teachers like Teal, they will say to let go of your past traumas. If you listen to other teachers like Goggins, they will say discipline is key! But like what vizual said, you also need faith.

Totally. Or like @4201 said. “It’s all in the mind” “it’s just a belief”. Is it?? That’s what Eckhart Tolle says. Just be present and do it. The mind is what’s stopping you. But what if there actually is resistance? What if there’s actually an energy blockage? What if there is fear, trauma, etc?.. I wonder @Leo Gura has to say about this?

Edit for addition:
You could be a bad ass at always being present and not letting the mind/ego interfere, but for most of us I think this is not a reality. 

Edited by playdoh
Addition.