Gabith

How to practice emotional mastery ?

11 posts in this topic

What are the best practices & how much time per day should I the work to see good results ? 

Meditation. 1-2 hours a day. During these periods of silence, stillness and space, difficult emotions will arise out of the lack of stimulation. Great emotions will arise too. We sit with them, hold space for them, and not react to them. This is emotional mastery. Learning how to be with our emotions. We can then begin the process of learning how to create new ones.

I could not even begin to articulate how powerful of a practice it is to be able to sit in positive and negative emotions with real equanimity. 

Define what emotional mastery means to you.

Get to learn how emotions work, how they arise, what they communicate. Inspect your circumstances and understand how they relate to how you feel and think at any given day.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

Just of the head:

1. Work on healing your trauma

2. Study your emotions: What makes you happy? What makes you angry? What makes you anxious? How do you react to different situations?

3. Learn how to label your emotions and realize them when they occur, notice how they affect your body (When you're angry what you feel in your body? where at the body?) without judgment.

4. Meet your needs (physical and emotional) realize what are your needs and meet them.

5. Be compassionate with yourself

Edited by Random witch

Start with sedona method.when u get a strong negetive emotion,feel it.then incorporate shadow work and other techniques from leos book.about time,u do not do it for a fixed time but do it when u get random emotional attack

1. Learn about emotions. Learn to identify them experientially, label them, and understand them.

example: *experiencing*: Sweaty palms, heart racing, thoughts of avoiding challenges. - "ah, I am feeling anxiety".  

Very important here... Next, connect to what you are needing. when *insert emotion* arise, there is a need that is wanting to be met either from yourself, from your environment, or someone else. Notice this is coming from within, it is yours.

example: "ah, I am feeling anxiety".

- "I am needing to know I am still lovable even if I fail." "I am needing to feel safe."  "I am needing a clean space when I get home from work."

Another example of expressing emotions, but to someone, with mastery. "When you raise your voice, I feel scared because I'm telling myself someone might get hurt here, and I need to know that we're all safe." 

Start to view Anger as being rooted in sadness, disappointment, helpless, guilt... Look up the Anger Iceberg on google.

This will help you get to know what your emotions are telling you.

Furthermore, Anxiety, depression, uncertainty, and confusion can lead to obsessive, cloudy, and unhelpful dialogue/self-talk.

This pattern/cycle needs to be identified and immediately stopped. It's often judgy, distorted, critical, negative, pessimistic, increase a sense victimhood. Go back and connect to feelings and needs.

--------

2. Change your mind by changing your body.

We have to reset ourself into the present moment to have clarity over what is going on. The best way to achieve this is to relax the body. If we relax the body, the mind will follow. Do yoga. Change our breathing.

If a 20-45 minute daily meditation practice. Do every hour or so for 1-5 minutes, deep breaths with holds just like this. This helps slow down the mind and recenter for me.

Edited by SgtPepper

You can check out robert plutchik's wheel of emotions. 

Parts work by Teal Swan is an excellent process for learning emotional mastery:

Mediating between the parts of yourself that are in conflict creates inner peace, and ultimately emotional mastery if you take the process that far.

Do parts work as often as you like, the more you do the faster the process will work for you. Perhaps 30-60 minutes daily.