Ineedanswers

Any thoughts about David goggins?

32 posts in this topic

People admire the fantasy of him. As a runner that knows some of the best ultra runners in the world as well as some of the best in the world in terms of distance running, I can tell you what people make out of his running for example is pure fantasy. They like to glamorize the fantasy of something so otherworldly in terms of pain and suffering and blah blah blah. That fantasy is common when it comes to the world of endurance sports and to a certain degree it's true. That said, people make too much out of the numbers of his running simply because they don't understand how training and this stuff works. When you hear a guy runs 120 miles a week or runs 100 miles and what not, when you don't come from a world where you know plenty of people who have done that the mind naturally tends to make those kinds of guys into certain mental caricatures understandably. I definitely think the amount of stuff he did in the sport in such a short period of time is incredibly impressive. The ultra world can be very grueling in terms of the physical and really mental and emotional demands that come with it. That said, he has his karma and a very different background and I think that's what most people miss when it comes to him. There's great stuff to Goggins, no doubt about it at all. The reality is  though that he's driven by A LOT of trauma. He got himself out of an impressive hole. No doubt about that. All kudos to him. That said, all that motivates him is built on a farse. There really is no way around that. Ironically I think a lot of people miss the real jewels in what he says that he's really about it like honesty, integrity, and so forth. I think this whole "don't give a fuck about what people think" in general is terrible advice. Especially for people on here. I've learned more than ever could on my own by finally getting over myself and really listen to the feedback I get from people and paying attention to that stuff while acknowledging the projection in all of it too. That's something I notice he says a lot and I think that just entrenches people that have a propensity not to listen to those around them in a myopic point of view that are actually saying stuff that they really need to hear. At the end of the day though I think people that just idolize him and model themselves after him are actually missing the point, even though it certainly can be useful and of course understandable any time you find someone that you're inspired by. Really pay attention to your path and what you really have going on. Most people can't do what Goggins does or plenty of other people because they don't want the same things he wants. Find out what you're really motivated by. People aren't going to want to train for 120 miles a week or go through 3 hell weeks or whatever else when they don't want what he wants. So of course they'd quit and can't understand why he would do all that. In the same way so many people can't fathom or understand why people would sacrifice everything to sit in a cave or monastery or whatever and meditate 16 hours a day. So on and so forth. People have different backgrounds, different conditioning, different karma, and so forth. In yet we can learn from so many people that are also radically different than us by actually being around them too and taking on their experience of the world. 

1 hour ago, Arcangelo said:

''...over there is where the fucking answers are, and I wouldn't listen to that because over there was pain...''

That sentence changed my trajectory.

That is of course correct. Falling into comfort is big problem these days.

However, there is a limit to that kind of masochistic paradigm.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Watched some videos of him talking about his dad. He seems pretty smart, I think he has some Green in him, he is not scared of his own emotions. 

I rank him a bit higher (lol) after doing some more research. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I like him. His book has powerful insights that stayed on with me.

Although he appeared stage orange, I think right now he is really keen on helping people grow and get out of their rut. It is not about himself anymore. I think he is at stage green in SD.

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

However, there is a limit to that kind of masochistic paradigm.

Yes he injured himself, he went too far, in that sense he is not a good example. He is at the end of the masochistic paradigm spectrum.

@Ineedanswers

On 11/25/2021 at 8:31 AM, Ineedanswers said:

I am curious about your thoughts about David goggins.could you’ll share them? Do you’ll admire his lifestyle or?

I think he's the greatest source of inspiration for people with strong laziness, boredom, depression and those who are sissies. They desperately need to model David Goggins's attitude to challenges.

He has some great qualities to him. He's a great example of discipline. I've found there are traps being stuck for too long in this mindset. There is a flow and unfolding and acceptance state that I think is equally important. I'm in the process of marrying this state and the discipline state. I think both are very important to have. 

On 11/30/2021 at 3:50 AM, Leo Gura said:

He reminds me of a hamster in a wheel on meth.

Lmaooo

11 hours ago, Rilles said:

He seems pretty smart, I think he has some Green in him, he is not scared of his own emotions. 

There is absolutely nothing green about David Goggins lol. He's high blue, low orange at best.

From the Susanne Cook-Greuter model on stages of ego development .. he falls solid in the 'Achiever' stage, which is conventional level cognition.

11 hours ago, hyruga said:

I think he is at stage green in SD.

More delusion.

9 hours ago, Terell Kirby said:

There is absolutely nothing green about David Goggins lol. He's high blue, low orange at best.

From the Susanne Cook-Greuter model on stages of ego development .. he falls solid in the 'Achiever' stage, which is conventional level cognition.

More delusion.

I said some Green, not full Green. Orange without Green tend to be very scared of emotions and are not as open to psychology,  therapy and going deep as they see as a waste of time, they want to distract themselves from their emotions with material goods etc. Goggins is obviously not that. I would say he is 70% Orange and 30% Green. Watch the video, if you dont grok it then you have misinterpreted Spiral Dynamics. 

Red: Emotions are not regulated and are impulsive.

Blue: Emotions are strictly regulated and repressed.

Orange: Emotions like pleasure are allowed but difficult emotions are repressed. Emotions are often minimized as weak, "Facts dont care about your feelings".

Green: Emotions are allowed especially more feminine ones. Crying and sharing is encouraged. 

Yellow: Emotion and thinking are integrated and flow easily.

Edited by Rilles

1 hour ago, Rilles said:

Blue: Emotions are strictly regulated and repressed.

This is what Goggins does to his emotions through high intensity physical challenge.

13 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

This is what Goggins does to his emotions through high intensity physical challenge.

Agree to disagree. I think he is caught between allowing emotion and repressing it. Something we all struggle with. It can be extremely difficult to let go of coping mechanisms even though you might sense thats what they are. Especially if you built a career on it. 

Edited by Rilles