Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leo Gura

Recent Forum Crash

16 posts in this topic

The database server crashed yesterday resulting in about 12-24 hours of data loss. The data loss was minor.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Good to know all is back up running.

When things like this happen is it difficult to work out the kinks or is it more of a patience game?

5 minutes ago, Nos7algiK said:

Good to know all is back up running.

When things like this happen is it difficult to work out the kinks or is it more of a patience game?

It can be a pain in the ass sometimes to fix it. The databases can get corrupted, requiring restoring from backups. And it's even possible for backups to get corrupted, which would be really bad.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

It can be a pain in the ass sometimes to fix it. The databases can get corrupted, requiring restoring from backups. And it's even possible for backups to get corrupted.

Tech problems can get pretty frustrating. Least you seem to have a pretty good hang of this all by yourself.

It's not hard to fix as long as the server is working. Sometimes the server has problems which I cannot fix on my end. There can be crashes or connectivity issues on the network and even DDoS attacks on the server which cause it to crash.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

and even DDoS attacks on the server which cause it to crash.

Why would someone DDoS you? Sure, some people may not agree with your content but I couldn't really see you having many enemies that would take it that far.

Do you know how many servers is this website being run on? (I am a Comp Sci student, so I might be able to figure out the issue)

No problem, thank you for restoring & getting the forum back up & running ^_^

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Leo Gura I've noticed the forum is down sorta often. Like I will have problems connecting on random days and it won't let me on the website for a couple hours. I'll try to connect from different devices and use a vpn as well and won't connect. Are you aware the forum goes down regularly (about every third day) for a few hours? Dunno if anyone else has this problems. It only happens on this website as well for me. 

I got error 500 the whole day yesterday. Now, it's working fine.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

My account also appears to be very erratic after I change my password last week.

One moment I am signed in, next moment when I clicked 'home', it appears I am signed out. And if I login to another device, the old device's login will sign out automatically.

@Lyubov Happens to me all the time, I need to learn to start saving posts because of this.

This experience showed me that everything, including our beloved forum, is impermanent. I got to research some good sources on the downtime. 

Maybe we should shove the culmination of multi-millennia old insight up our asses instead. 

On 08/11/2021 at 4:47 AM, Leo Gura said:

and even DDoS attacks on the server which cause it to crash.

Cloudflare ;)

Nowadays I have trouble logging into this forum and main webpage using my phone, but it's ok when I use the computer. What is up with the tech issues lately lol.

Could this latest issue be from the latest solar flare from the sun?