Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SQAAD

Is Dairy Good for you or Not?

26 posts in this topic

This video suggests that dairy is actually 'pretty darn healthy for you'. But i've heard all sorts of things on the internet. There have been many ridiculous claims made about dairy. The guy in the video has a PhD in Nutrional Sciences so i give him a lot more authority than other fools on the internet.

Edited by SQAAD

Science will tell you that eating crowded, antibiotic-given chicken, is healthy for you because they look at the "micronutrient" info and concur that is a very complete food.

Milk is produced even worse that mass-chicken farming.

Science doesn't include the nuance of how the animal lives and the energy it is in, as a factor that is importance in the "healthiness" of a product.

That's why science is limited in nutrition. They just look at the nutrients numbers and from that they conclude if something is healthy or not.

Or they look at the claims of it producing cancer or someshit like that, and run to search for the "lack of studies" that support that claim. Now they can be "sure" that milk is safe!

Wow, I mean isn't this almost funny. 

But hey, what can you expect from science nowdays, and definetely from this guy that thinks knows something because having read some book or gone to university. 

Edited by Javfly33

I didnt watch the video but what do you mean by healthy? It has whey and casein protien and calcium if thats your definition of healthy. Of course dairy farmers and companies making money from milk sales will tell you its healthy. A lot of studies that claim it is healthy are also funded by these people who live by making money from milk sales. The other studies dont show the same thing and that's probably not a coincidence. 

A lot of people think they should drink milk or eat dairy for the calcium but the protien in milk is highly acidic. The only acidity neutralizer in your body is calcium so the calcium you get in from milk mostly gets leeched from you system to netrualize acidity. Its not a coincidence that the highest milk conusming countries are also the highest countries in bone fractures, osteoporosis and calcium supplement sales. Tons of good objective research on this out there. I would comfortably say under almost no pbjective circumstances is it healthier than certain plant milks. Also the cruelty behind milk production is nightmarish. Ditch the dairy?

Edited by Adodd

@Javfly33

23 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

Science will tell you that eating crowded, antibiotic-given chicken, is healthy for you because they look at the "micronutrient" info and concur that is a very complete food.

Science doesn't include the nuance of how the animal lives and the energy it is in, as a factor that is importance in the "healthiness" of a product.

But hey, what can you expect from science nowdays, and definetely from this guy that thinks knows something because having read some book or gone to university. 

I tend to agree with you. This guy in the video has an ideology of scientism. Basically he doesn't see anything wrong with eating burgers or many other junk food. He claims that no food is objectively bad because of some scientific reductionist rationalization. He promotes IIFYM which means you can eat whatever bs food you want as long as it fits your macros and micros lol. 

I am more open-minded about how nutrition works though. Dairy (yoghurt specifically) is a convenient option for me at the moment. Thats why i am concerned about consuming dairy.. I am worried more about the prostate. I usually buy organic yoghurt but i eat a lot of it.

Edited by SQAAD

@Adodd

18 hours ago, Adodd said:

Also the cruelty behind milk production is nightmarish. Ditch the dairy?

I am planning to go vegan or vegetarian in the near future. I already watch some vegan channels on yt. I like the whole movement. 

Right now i don't have the time, energy and resources to fully commit to it. To be vegan it takes a lot of work and money if you want to buy everything organic. I mostly buy organic stuff but i am not rich. So things like chicken, dairy and eggs make my life easier at the moment.

Edited by SQAAD

52 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

To be vegan it takes a lot of work and money

Doesn't have to be. If you ignore green powders, cashew butters, exotic fruits, coca powders, kombucha, vegan cheeses and all the fancy stuff, it can be equal in pricing to any other diet out there. In fact pound per pound when it comes to nutritional content, very few things on the planet are comparable to something like red lentils or black beans, a food that costs 0.00nothing compared to something like grass-fed beef. 

I think the strongest argument for veganism is that it is an ethical choice and if that's your reason to do it, nobody is in the right to even attempt to talk you out of it. If you do it for health reasons, some people benefit from keeping a little bit of animal foods in, at least in the beginning because the transition can be hard the first couple months. An 90% plant based diet with a few eggs here and there and some fish usually works better than 100% vegan for many people, at least in the beginning. Statistically, if you keep your saturated fats below 30-35grams a day you should be safe. 

And then should you decided that you cannot participate in the suffering of animals and want to go all in, it is important that this motive is really strong and that you don't do it for the internet, for Instagram, to be cool or to be better but with a  genuine care for the suffering of animals but not at the expense of your own health because that usually doesn't;t help anyone

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@SQAAD since going vegan i have not really changed the amount of money I spend on food monthly. It can be more expensive the first month or two if you are using imitation products to help transition. Start vegetarian. Do a lot of research. Don't rush yourself. Remind yourself why youre doing this. Watch documentaries. It's okay to start slowly to make sure your doing something that is going to stick. You will have to try new foods and new recipes. The first few months were a bit overwhelming for me. Its like new territory but dont get discouraged. Youre doing something powerful and compasionate and no longer relying on suffering for food.

Edited by Adodd

Milk is like a Lamborghini. A Lambo looks great and has a lot of horse power. But at the same time the insurance is expensive, you won't get great mileage and new tires costs a shitload of money.

Milk is the same. We look at the nutritions and think it has to be good for you. But maybe it has other properties just like a lambo which we overlook?

I paint abstract art. Check out my website and let me know what you think.

https://www.galleriabstrakt.se/collections/all

(I only ship within Sweden so forgive me if you see a painting you'd like but can't order)

For me, it was one of the most beneficial things to remove from my diet. I think if you're eating high quality grass fed kefir, cheese and occasional milk, and you can tolerate it, it's healthy. One thing we do with food is make it low quality, available and cheap so it's ingested in such high quantities, that what would have once been a treat or only available at certain times of year becomes a staple. Milk should have a unique flavor to it, but since we mix the milk of hundreds of cows it's standardized. Cows aren't meant to be lactating constantly. When you visit a high quality organic small farm, it's still not pretty how animals are raised. The way we achieve producing abundant standardized dairy products is not really that humane or natural. It makes a lot of sense that it reflects on our health too. It's understandable as it wasn't that long ago that much of the planet wasn't hungry or facing the possibility of starvation, but now it's high time to go back to a focus on health, animal welfare and food quality. 

Edited by mandyjw

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Michael569

17 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Doesn't have to be. If you ignore green powders, cashew butters, exotic fruits, coca powders, kombucha, vegan cheeses and all the fancy stuff, it can be equal in pricing to any other diet out there. In fact pound per pound when it comes to nutritional content, very few things on the planet are comparable to something like red lentils or black beans, a food that costs 0.00nothing compared to something like grass-fed beef. 

I think the strongest argument for veganism is that it is an ethical choice and if that's your reason to do it, nobody is in the right to even attempt to talk you out of it. If you do it for health reasons, some people benefit from keeping a little bit of animal foods in, at least in the beginning because the transition can be hard the first couple months. An 90% plant based diet with a few eggs here and there and some fish usually works better than 100% vegan for many people, at least in the beginning. Statistically, if you keep your saturated fats below 30-35grams a day you should be safe. 

And then should you decided that you cannot participate in the suffering of animals and want to go all in, it is important that this motive is really strong and that you don't do it for the internet, for Instagram, to be cool or to be better but with a  genuine care for the suffering of animals but not at the expense of your own health because that usually doesn't;t help anyone

Solid advice. Thank you. What about dairy? Do you think it poses a health concern or not??

Edited by SQAAD

@Adodd

14 hours ago, Adodd said:

@SQAAD since going vegan i have not really changed the amount of money I spend on food monthly. It can be more expensive the first month or two if you are using imitation products to help transition. Start vegetarian. Do a lot of research. Don't rush yourself. Remind yourself why youre doing this. Watch documentaries. It's okay to start slowly to make sure your doing something that is going to stick. You will have to try new foods and new recipes. The first few months were a bit overwhelming for me. Its like new territory but dont get discouraged. Youre doing something powerful and compasionate and no longer relying on suffering for food.

I have this fear that without dairy and animals products i will be constantly hungry. I know this is not entirely true because i've done some experiements. Its just easier to get your stomach full with animals products.

@mandyjw

2 hours ago, mandyjw said:

For me, it was one of the most beneficial things to remove from my diet. I think if you're eating high quality grass fed kefir, cheese and occasional milk, and you can tolerate it, it's healthy. One thing we do with food is make it low quality, available and cheap so it's ingested in such high quantities, that what would have once been a treat or only available at certain times of year becomes a staple. Milk should have a unique flavor to it, but since we mix the milk of hundreds of cows it's standardized. Cows aren't meant to be lactating constantly.y. 

This is why i love Osho's advice that humanity should stop giving birth to children for the next 50 years or something along this line. It would be nice if businesses were not so ruthless and cutthroat as they are. But the society needs to drastically change for that to happen.... 

4 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

What about dairy? Do you think it poses a health concern or not??

That depends (as everything else in nutrition, I know) 

• Do you tolerate it well? 
  • Do you have ethical concerns with consuming it? 
  • Do you have lactose intolerance or dairy allergy in the family?
  • Do you have prostate cancer in the family? -> if yes, I would keep it to low amounts as you don't want to mess around with your genetic susceptibility

Whatever you decide, dairy is one of those where the long term data on harmful vs harmless is kinda all over the place. If you'd rather not take any risk you can keep it to a minimum and serve it as a treat rather than doping cups and cups of cream into your meals. 

Buy some high-quality cheese or parmesan and sprinkle bits of it on food every now and then or use high CFU probiotic kefir a couple of times a week. I would probably avoid drinking milk as liquid thou as well as avoid whey supplements and any other form of dairy concentrates. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569

11 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

I would probably avoid drinking milk as liquid thou as well as avoid whey supplements and any other form of dairy concentrates. 

Why is that? I like to use whey protein every now and then. Also eating yoghurt vs drinking milk i think is kinda the same thing..

Edited by SQAAD

@SQAAD not worth it. Risk: Benefit analysis. 

But that's just me, you do you :)

@Michael569

16 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

• Do you have prostate cancer in the family? -> if yes, I would keep it to low amounts as you don't want to mess around with your genetic susceptibility

I am more concerned about the prostate cancer thing. Because i eat a lot of yoghurt the last few months because it keeps me full for longer periods of time. Today i had some anxiety over this and didn't consume much dairy lol. But its tough. Because it is a quick, easy , effortless solution for me. You eat a cup of yoghurt and you're done. No more eating needed.

Sometimes i find it difficult to remain full without eating some yoghurt at the end of my meals. But maybe this is just a trick my mind plays on me.

Edited by SQAAD

@SQAAD sounds like you're trying to cheat it by cutting corners. I would encourage you to try a little bit more experimentation. 

A bowl of oatmeal (despite slightly longer prep time) will actually keep you much more satiated on all levels. Yoghurt has no fibre and generally little nutrition besides some calcium and protein, it is far from the nourishment that your body needs for proper start of the day 

A more complexity into the first meal of your day would probably make you feel better in the long term.

I assume you ae a guy somewhere between 20-25 so your body on physiological level will benefit from upping calories, upping carbs and upping fibre in breakfast 

1 hour ago, SQAAD said:

@mandyjw

This is why i love Osho's advice that humanity should stop giving birth to children for the next 50 years or something along this line. It would be nice if businesses were not so ruthless and cutthroat as they are. But the society needs to drastically change for that to happen.... 

Why no babies? Humans make their own milk for their own babies. 

Society doesn't need to change drastically, just make small changes that feel good yourself. That's how all change is effected. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Dairy in what form and relative to what?

You're definitely better off eating a salad vs an ice cream or a cheesecake.

Rarely are people just straight up drinking a glass of raw milk. "Dairy" is usually some kind of junk food.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I don't drink Dairy personally.

Nutrition science is full of devilry and culture, ego, and bla...

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"