bammy32

Leo's latest video - "what awakening feels like?"

75 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Tim R said:

@Leo Gura Yes, but unlike you, Buddhism is not interested in finding out what reality is. 

They are interested in liberation, which

1. doesn't require the realization of infinity 

2. is why they focus so much on no-self and emptiness. Because that's essentially all you need for liberation.

The burning desire for "understanding reality" won't stand you in good service when it comes to liberation, even though in order to find liberation, you must understand certain facets of reality (no-self, emptiness, love). 

"Understanding reality" can be, and in most cases is, an extremely egoic and narcissistic enterprise.

emptiness and liberation needs to be transcended to allness and realization ... from i am nothing to i am everything

2 minutes ago, gettoefl said:

emptiness and liberation needs to be transcended to allness and realization ... from i am nothing to i am everything

Why the necessity? 

Just now, Tim R said:

Why the necessity? 

all duality is false, why abide in what is not the ultimate

Just now, gettoefl said:

all duality is false, why abide in what is not the ultimate

Who abides in what is not ultimate? Buddhism is about nonduality.

But they make not fetish out of "higher levels of consciousness". 

2 minutes ago, Tim R said:

Who abides in what is not ultimate? Buddhism is about nonduality.

But they make not fetish out of "higher levels of consciousness". 

jesus came to take people to unconditional love, buddha came to take people to no self, existence being infinite has plenty more up its sleave

4 hours ago, Adamq8 said:

But as I said there are other interpretations of buddhism that goes along the lines with advaita vedanta and neo platonism etc.

You are wrong. Not all schools are equivalent, that´s too relativistic. You can make intersubjective studies and see that is possible to classify different phenomenology and different methapisics from differnet people and tradicions in a map of transpersonal development, that is what Ken Wilber did. And according to this map the therevada buddhists (at least those who reach nor being nor not being) are in the top of the spiritual develoment, why? becasue they already experience what I am God and I am consicussness people say (advaita guys for example) and went  beyond that phases.

@RedLine @RedLine @RedLine

Ken Wilber still speaks about the Absolute spirit and unchanging ground, does not theravada deny a substrate to reality? I might be wrong tho!

, check out Sri Aurobindo,  plotinus etc, they also realized it, difference is that they unified everything into a single whole and tat tvam asi, nirvana is samsara.

Emptiness is form form is emptiness

The one for plotinus is neither being nor non being, but what the one is and what the one does is the same, check out plotinus,  he was a mystic and as enlightened as any theravada Monk.

Theravada does not have a monopoly or is the highest.

Being/nonbeing is talked about in all different traditions.

Meister eckhart etc.

The godhead is as it were not.

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius 

2 hours ago, Adamq8 said:

@RedLine @RedLine @RedLine

Ken Wilber still speaks about the Absolute spirit and unchanging ground, does not theravada deny a substrate to reality? I might be wrong tho!

, check out Sri Aurobindo,  plotinus etc, they also realized it, difference is that they unified everything into a single whole and tat tvam asi, nirvana is samsara.

Emptiness is form form is emptiness

The one for plotinus is neither being nor non being, but what the one is and what the one does is the same, check out plotinus,  he was a mystic and as enlightened as any theravada Monk.

Theravada does not have a monopoly or is the highest.

Being/nonbeing is talked about in all different traditions.

Meister eckhart etc.

The godhead is as it were not.

When they talk about being = non being, relative=absolute, emptiness=form, I understand they are talking about non-dual stage (Wilber), or arahatness in buddhism, where the Absolute and the Relative are experience as the same, but this does not have methapisical implications nor is related with cessation. If Wilber talks about God and the Absolute I thinks it is because it make sense inside his philosophical system; it is an intelectual understanding, not an experience. He talks about Consicussness but also he admits he is able to enter into cessation during the brain waves stuff and there is no consciuss there, he does not explain this contradiction.

Leo says intermediate awakenings are almost impossible with normal meditation and yoga but, I have experienced all the intermediate awakening with very little do-nothing meditation, walking, contemplating, and listening to various teachers like Leo. I still feel I can squeeze more juice from these traditional practices since I didn’t even pursue then full-time. Does this make me special, idk? I’m guessing there are others like me. 

To all the people arguing and debating Buddhism and awakening, it is counter productive, it is not going to help anybody, you have to realize these things yourself not prove it from outside, you can’t even fully articulate these things, so please stop. 

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

14 hours ago, Derek White said:

Leo says intermediate awakenings are almost impossible with normal meditation and yoga but, I have experienced all the intermediate awakening with very little do-nothing meditation, walking, contemplating, and listening to various teachers like Leo. I still feel I can squeeze more juice from these traditional practices since I didn’t even pursue then full-time. Does this make me special, idk? I’m guessing there are others like me. 

To all the people arguing and debating Buddhism and awakening, it is counter productive, it is not going to help anybody, you have to realize these things yourself not prove it from outside, you can’t even fully articulate these things, so please stop. 

Well, maybe not all of us have that freak spiritual genetics and we need to fill the existential hunger with some ideas until we can have direct experience; I have been meditating hour and hours for years and I have not experience any major insight yet. As Leo said you always fill the gap with something, the methapisical question can´t be avoid. So yeah, ideas are important, let´s say I have an extrem nihlistic relativistic athetics cosmovision, probably it does not even make sense to me to meditate and it does not make sense to puruse any goal for me and I become depressed, meanwhile if I believe Being is God and Love, it probably give me strengh to be a good person and follow my spiritual path. I know it because I experience both during my life. Ideas and believes are very important -and cannot be avoided-; don´t despite them.

Edited by RedLine

Wow, I would like to take my time and defend Leo's viewpoint on the latest video.

I listened to Leo every week for the past 6 years, and truly it all builds upon each other. 

I used to live it India and used to breathing exercises like shamanic breathing, etc. Although, that helps me to understand stillness but never really help me integrate much.

Feb 2021, I moved to Canada and later tried shrooms. For me, Love is something that interested me personally and every time I get high, I watch Leo's self-love video and the guided meditation video. Although, the drug did help me with depression and stuff and I got "insights" it kinda vanished after come down

1 weeks ago, I did LSD and that trip was soo much better! It felt like I could think and self inquire but on a higher plane. That's the best part, the insights stayed. After that I really started understanding what Leo is truly pointing at. 

The game here is super simple. You have to discern Truth from Falsehood. I don't know if you watched Leo's video on understanding language (which I don't exactly remember which video it was) where he explains the difference between direct experience and symbols pointing to direct experience. The symbols pointing to the direct experience are obviously not the experience. The finger-pointing at the moon is not the moon. The finger/symbols are falsehood. The truth is the experience aka the moon.

The problem here is in daily life, the symbols/falsehood/stories are like an overlay on top of reality. Due to this, we confuse the stories about the moon is actually the moon and the actual moon as stories. 

On psychedelics, you are merely prone to do this less as all the stories kinda dissolve if you are open to the possibility and have some knowledge beforehand. 

Therefore people who say psychedelics are not "real awakening" or something are clearly missing the whole point of spirituality.

Truth exists universally. The idea is to self inquire and directly experience the truth. To see the truth, you need to remove and skillfully discern truth from falsehood. On psychedelics, it's wayyyy easier to do this since you are already in an elevated state of consciousness and the stuff you were previously attached to for survival is not necessary anymore. 

The only question I feel that's really important, is how do you know what's truth and ARE YOU ABSOLUTLY FUCKING SURE that the stuff you call true is actually true? 

Self inquiry is needed.

If you want to see someone do this masterfully on a high level, check out jiddu krishnamurthi 

On 8/20/2021 at 3:04 AM, RedLine said:

So yeah, ideas are important, let´s say I have an extrem nihlistic relativistic athetics cosmovision, probably it does not even make sense to me to meditate and it does not make sense to puruse any goal for me and I become depressed, meanwhile if I believe Being is God and Love, it probably give me strengh to be a good person and follow my spiritual path. I know it because I experience both during my life. Ideas and believes are very important -and cannot be avoided-; don´t despite them.

If you are having trouble with nihilism Leo has published a special episode just about it, and he has been talking about resolving this issue for as long as I can remember. I can name at least 5 videos where he resolves this problem. People following him really shouldn't be having this problem. 

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

When you awaken the world seems different, so you believe you’re awake and it’s amazing and you want others to be awake. But if there’s still seemingly a person experiencing things, they’re still in a dream. It has no connection whatsoever to liberation. At all. It’s an appearance. And a feedback loop.

Liberation is all there is and there is nothing better — it’s this already. The longing for something just around the corner is just a disguise wear’d by the longing for what is already, which is nothing being everything. And completely unknowable. It hides by being everything. It’s ingenious.

Edited by The0Self