JJfromSwitzerland

Global warming and climate change

32 posts in this topic

@JJfromSwitzerland 

On 7.8.2021 at 0:35 PM, JJfromSwitzerland said:

Do you think humanity will survive this and manage this crises? You can see and read a lot of apocolyptical warnings these days.

What is your take on the global warming issue? Will humanity make it?

That is a very difficult question to answer, entailing a ton of details and nuances, to make an accurate prediction is difficult to say the least.

I am  not trained in climatology what so ever so everything im saying here is my best mostly uneducated guess, predicated on my experience.

Let start with something positive: Humanity has survived a lot catastrophic situations, just the 20th century alone is full of disastrous events, maybe not on end of the world level stakes, but still pretty major, just look at WW2 for an example, but we somehow managed it and came up with solutions that more or less worked but of course had their own inherent problems.

I am just going to assume that we will manage the same thing this time,  a very bold claim i suppose, but my trust in humanity lies within the fact that most of us can come together if it truly matters, and the planet possibly dying should concern a lot of people, at least i hope so.

The question then becomes, how many people are willing to transcend to spiral dynamics stage green, or already are in stage green?

If enough people are involved we may be able to mitigate at least some of the damage we already caused, will that be enough? 

I have no idea, but i am an optimist that always looks for the best, so i just do my part, do the best that i can and hope for the best.

I love you infinitely. I will find you forever in every life time because you and me are one. You and me eternally breathing life and bluming 

16 minutes ago, impulse9 said:

@TheAlchemist That's not accurate because errors propagate through any such model and accumulate until your data becomes virtually useless. It's actually infinitely easier to accurately predict weather on a short timescale, than make conclusive predictions about climate in the long term. And measurement is another massive problem that you're probably not aware of. See this video for a great explanation of just how in the dark we really are when it comes to even measuring the surface temperature of Earth with any degree of accuracy at all.

My personal take is that climate change is a problem, but it's been massively and needlessly amplified by the media hype train. We will get over it. We got over WW2 and the cold war. Ponder that for a second.

@impulse9 I would err strongly on the side of caution with this one. As a species we are long overdue to take a look at and reform our unsustainable (like infinite gdp growth) practices anyways. So shifting towards sustainability won't be a lost cause no matter what.

Let's say climate change is no big deal like you suggest, what now? You get a nice big pat on the back for being right, but we are still stuck with unsustainable nitrogen and phosphorous cycles, ocean acidification, chemical pollution, atmospheric aerosol loading, biodiversity loss along with unsustainable land and freshwater usage. This is a much deeper problem, a problem deep in the roots of how we funtion as a species and how we relate to our environment; debating about some consequences of the infected roots wont be productive, we need to look at the causes behind this all. 

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

I'm not even for a second claiming we don't have problems to solve. Like I said in the other thread about climate, maybe we should haul all the plastic out of the oceans before we start acting like we care about the environment.

I'm not even for a second claiming we don't have problems to solve. Like I said in the other thread about climate, maybe we should haul all the plastic out of the oceans before we start acting like we care about the environment.

Nice one how about stopping the deforestation of the rainforest...

Climate Change is a problem, but I don´t think we are on the right path when the only thing everyone is talking about is CO2.

Yes, CO2 is the scapegoat. It may turn out to be a massive problem, but I think we should look at our behavior in a holistic way because nothing can change unless we collectively fundamentally change our behavior.

20 minutes ago, impulse9 said:

The thing is, although tempting, these problems aren't gonna be solved on a case by case basis, since they are so strongly interrelated; they need to be looked at from a larger whole, more holistically, a solution upstream/at the root is required.

So the solution to climate change, if thought of holistically, will likely be the solution to tons of other problems that result from unsustainable practices. And it seems like humanity collectively is now agreeing upon climate change being the most urgent and important environmental problem to solve, so that is the best avenue to make those structural changes that are necessary to ensure sustainability. I'm not saying all humans agree that it is the biggest environement related problem, but it is gathering the most force out of the different environmental concerns.

Arguing about the details of climate change is missing the point, this movement has something far more powerful at its core: a new set of values that is emerging in culture at a large scale, and these people with these values no longer accept some of the bullshit that has been fed to them, they demand structural changes, they demand actions and they strongly desire sustainable solutions to ensure the continued thriving of the human race. This is because they have an intuitive sense that what we are doing now is dysfuntional, and will produce problems down the line if nothing happens. 

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

@Leo Gura Do you have any advice for those of us who experience deep despair about these things happening in the world? Should we just ignore it and continue working on life purpose?
I understand that there's no world to save, that it's all imaginary, but that's an understanding that is difficult to hold onto when my ego mind is sad and fearful about the consequences of all this.

As far as things an ordinary person can actually do in the face of global systemic problem, putting pressure on governments to treat this problem with the seriousness it deserves (as an existential threat to human civilization), is a start.

Which means that high consciousness people need to do more to take responsibility for societal problems, and work to shift the center of gravity for thier societies towards Green as quickly as possible.

In places like the United States, it means working to fix a faltering democracy that's been severely weakened by Bad Actors who are eroding democracy to further thier self interests, so that the system can become functional enough to deal with systemic issues like Climate Change.

While buying an Electric Car or switching to a Vegan diet are great, if you actually want to have a societal impact that means by necessity become engaged in politics and interfacing with the rest of society.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

1 hour ago, DocWatts said:

As far as things an ordinary person can actually do in the face of global systemic problem, putting pressure on governments to treat this problem with the seriousness it deserves (as an existential threat to human civilization), is a start.

Which means that high consciousness people need to do more to take responsibility for societal problems, and work to shift the center of gravity for thier societies towards Green as quickly as possible.

In places like the United States, it means working to fix a faltering democracy that's been severely weakened by Bad Actors who are eroding democracy to further thier self interests, so that the system can become functional enough to deal with systemic issues like Climate Change.

While buying an Electric Car or switching to a Vegan diet are great, if you actually want to have a societal impact that means by necessity become engaged in politics and interfacing with the rest of society.

Well, it appears it's do or die. So, who is going to take the lead?

"Where are you going who did you ask?

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Saw on Reddit today: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/p47gki/what_do_you_consider_the_biggest_threat_to/

"Full oceanic collapse is projected to be in 2048."  That is in 27 years!

"Full destruction of aquatic food chains and biodiversity to the point of extinction of keystone species which cascades into a rippling effect of mass extinction."

"The food of your food's food goes extinct and boom goes the ecosystem."

"The ocean produces half of the oxygen we breathe, we cannot live without a healthy ocean."

Welp.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:55 PM, mikelyons said:

Do you have any advice for those of us who experience deep despair about these things happening in the world?

Don't be fooled by the mass negativity. It's the best time ever to be alive.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Climate change in my opinion, is the mere byproduct of the level of collective consciousness. I feel it's what needs to happen. The planet and it's inhabitants will thrive without human existence. The planet and the system knows exactly what it's doing.