Ilan

What is humour?

24 posts in this topic

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 12.55.40 PM.jpg

Okay, if we're being serious, I think humor is when people recognize patterns or behaviors that elucidate absurdity, which would have been evolved as a survival mechanism out in the wild. Like, the people who would notice certain things and understand them in a certain way and then show that they understand it through laughing would help them out.

Edited by AtheisticNonduality

humor is intelligence and stupidity being friends with each other

ooo Leo should do an episode on this; kind of like how he did one for What is Art. I love the What is episodes. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_from_laughter

Zeuxis, a 5th-century BC Greek painter, is said to have died laughing at the humorous way in which he painted the goddess Aphrodite – after the old woman who commissioned it insisted on modeling for the portrait.

One ancient account of the death of Chrysippus, the 3rd-century BC Greek Stoic philosopher, tells that he died of laughter after he saw a donkey eating his figs; he told a slave to give the donkey neat wine with which to wash them down, and then, "having laughed too much, he died"

In 1660, Thomas Urquhart, the Scottish aristocrat, polymath, and first translator of François Rabelais's writings into English, is said to have died laughing upon hearing that Charles II had taken the throne.

I'm sure humour is some kind of a part or a feature of true nature. Sometimes it's just too good to be anything less than divine.

Everyone is waiting for eternity but the Shaman asks: "how about today?"

Questioning humour isn't funny. Laughter is a signal to say everything is ok, once danger has passed. I'm not sure humour is just laughter though.

All stories and explanations are false.

When you really KNOW that you don't know.... oh damn, something's gotta give. :D

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Jerry Seinfeld is a Zen master of comedy.  Watch "Comedians in Cars getting Coffee". 

Humor is basically social lubrication.

I agree @taotemu, sometimes I genuinely wonder if Seinfeld is an enlightened person with a quirky facade.

What is humour?

Meh... I could explain it, but then it wouldn't be funny anymore. :P

On 6.8.2021 at 8:45 PM, impulse9 said:

In 1660, Thomas Urquhart, the Scottish aristocrat, polymath, and first translator of François Rabelais's writings into English, is said to have died laughing upon hearing that Charles II had taken the throne.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ContagiousLaughter/comments/hlsc2p/my_brother_in_law_found_out_kanye_was_running_for/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Everyone is waiting for eternity but the Shaman asks: "how about today?"